Honeymoon in October

Jul 11th, 2002, 09:07 AM
Brian

Honeymoon in October

Hi all,

My fiance and I are looking for a caribbean-type location for an October honeymoon. Basically, a nice place with beautiful beaches and some activities that will let us relax after a year of wedding planning!

We have heard good things about the Sandals resort in Antigua, and also the Royal Hideaway resort in Cancun. I would love to hear any comments about that, or any other recommendations for resorts in the area.

The all-inclusive thing does appeal to us, so we can just relax and not worry about finances for a week or so.

Obvioulsy, we are also concerned about Hurrican season.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thank you,

Brian

Jul 11th, 2002, 10:37 AM
anon

I'd pick Royal Hideaway over any Sandals anyday. A much better resort and a much better value. Check out the amount of activies though - Sandals may have the lead there. But even so, there are better AI resorts with activies to choose from other than Sandals.

Jul 11th, 2002, 11:26 AM
Tiffany

Hi Brian. I have to disagree and pick Antigua over Cancun anyday. Don't get me wrong, Cancun is a BEAUTIFUL place, but not for a honeymoon. I am getting married at the Sandals resort in Antigua in October of this year. We chose it because it has been voted "The World's Best Honeymoon Resort" 4 years in a row. I have been doing A LOT of research and it is known to be a very laid back and romantic atmosphere. I have also heard from a lot of people who have stayed at the resort say that any room category is great - there isn't a bad location on the resort. So if you're worried about finances you could even book a lower category room.

I personally think of Cancun as a party place and feel that Antigua would be much more of a honeymoon type place.

Jul 11th, 2002, 11:30 AM
Tiffany

One more thing, Brian - I was also worried about the hurricane season but Sandals offers a "Hurricane Guarentee." So if there is a hurricane your full trip and airfare will be replaced with another trip. Also, I have exchanged E-mails with someone who lives in Antigua who says that September is the rainy month for Antigua and they still don't receive a whole lot of rain. Antigua is one of the islands that receives the least amount of rain. He said that it may rain for 5 minutes during the day, but then it blows over.

Hope the advice helps!

Jul 11th, 2002, 11:34 AM
xxx

Actually, the Royal Hideaway is in Playa del Carmen - about 60 miles south of Cancun and very different. Sandals Antigua is probably one of the better Sandals but I have to agree with anon that there are better places to choose from.

There's lots to see in do outside the resort in the Playa del Carmen area but activities outside the resort in Antigua are limited. I've been to both destinations (not these specific resorts) and this is just my opinion.

Jul 11th, 2002, 02:14 PM
Brian

Thank you all for your input. I should have expected a mixed bag. If anyone has some other similar options, please let us know your suggestion! We are open to ideas, but want to book something soon.

Jul 11th, 2002, 02:45 PM
Jay

Tiffany, I'm not trying to knock your plans or research, but there's no way that any Sandals resort is the world's best honeymoon resort.
The world's best honeymoon resorts are places like Villa d'Este and La Sirenuse in Italy, the Hotel Bora Bora, several of the Hawaiian resorts like the Mandarin Oriental, Four Seasons Big Island, the luxury resorts in Phuket Thailand, the Ritz or Four Seasons or Aman resorts in Bali, the Queensland Australia island resorts like Lizard island and Hayman, etc. Even Caribbean places like Cap Juluca and Sandy Lane will rate much higher in any poll of seasoned travellers.

I'm not trying to 'rain on your parade' and I hope you have a great time. But I get irritated with so much of the false advertising out there which attempts to lure novice or unsavvy travellers.
"Best Resort in North America"....(fine print: as voted by shareholders of the corporation) and that kind of thing.
Even the travel magazine polls don't rate any of the all inclusive resorts near the top in any part of the world.

I mention all this mostly as a disclaimer for others who may read these posts in the future.

Jul 11th, 2002, 04:23 PM
Brian

Does anyone know of any other all-inclusives in the Caribbean that would be better than the the Sandals? Or should I stick with the ROyal Hideaway in Mexico?

I guess we'd be open to other recommendations, but the all-inclusive thing is a draw for me.

After scrimping and saving for a wedding for so long, to just spend a week not even thinking about spending cash would be most welcome.

Thanks again,

Brian

Jul 11th, 2002, 05:01 PM
FYI

The Conde Nast Gold List this year listed 25 Caribbean resorts. The Sandals in Nassau made the list, but was #18 of 25. No other Sandals resorts made that particular list.

Jul 15th, 2002, 06:38 AM
Rex

Check out an all-inclusive nudist colony. No worries about cash or clothes. However, when ordering a drink, if you can't see what's going on behind the bar, make sure you tell the bartender you prefer your drinks to be shaken, not stirred.

Jul 15th, 2002, 07:05 AM
Susan

I can't believe no one mentioned Aruba.

October is hurricane season, and it is a wonderful time to visit. My husband and I went there for our honeymoon and returned every year since.

It really is a wonderful place to relax and is safe.

They have luxury resorts.

Have fun and enjoy wherever you go.

Jul 17th, 2002, 02:15 PM
xxx

Brian - a place to check out is the Maldives Islands. They are BEAUTIFUL.

Jul 17th, 2002, 02:52 PM
Christie

I guess I have a unique experience of both Sandlas Antigua and the Royal Hideaway in PDC: I've stayed next door to both of them!

Sandals was a very beautiful resort, and the people we saw there seemd to be having a lot of fun on the snorkel boats and the beach. One down side to Sandals is that it is totally AI, so most of the guests never leave the resort and therefore never experience the island. I've also heard stories about their sunset cruises costing a small fortune when the local catamarans offer the same cruise for less than half the price! The beach at Dickinson Bay is beautiful, too. We stayed at the Rex Halcyon Cove.

Royal Hideaway is next to the Riu Playacar, which was where we stayed. In fact, it is so next door that several of the buildings had a great view of our pool! The beach in that area is very nice, and there are a lot of palm trees to shade it duirng the sun. PCD is a very nice resort area, and we met a lot of people from other resorts at the shopping area across the street and in the downtown shops, too.

Good luck with your choice! Personally, I can't make a choice between the two!