Little Dix Bay - Just Back

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a multi-time guest of Caneel, fearful of the daysthat I would be giving up there to make my first stay at Little Dix Bay , it was with some trepidation as I left on the Caneel ferry for Virgin Gorda. However those fears were quickly erased as, upon arrival, I was given a tour of this beautiful resort. It was a multi-sensory experience as gorgeous flowering trees and bushes framed by the half mile crescent beach which borders the blue sea. The air was filled with the perfumed fragrance of these beautiful plants, as the sounds of melodic birds could be heard everywhere.

My room, premium ocean view. was beautifuland private. As I walked through the door, the strains of soothing music sounded as the scent of an exotic incense subtlety filled the air. My deck was offered a sensational view. Each time that I walked to the beach or to dine was an enhancing experience. It had a dreamlike quality as of living in a lovely tropical botanical garden. I was very happy to have come.

The food was excellent. Breakfast and lunch were buffet with table service for hot grilled items. Dinner at the Sugar Mill was my favorite The sounds of Caribbean music and the sea lapping the shore could be heard while dining. I thought the mahi-mahi was extraordinary. I definitely recommend the meal plan. I felt it a savings and less worrisome over ordering a-la-carte.

The staff was caring and wonderful addressing me by name and inquiring about my enjoyment of my stay.

My favorite activities included a land tour of beautiful Virgin Gorda The views were panoramic, and it is a very quiet island much like what I imagine the rest of the Caribbean to have been years ago. I also did to beach drops were on my own schedule , I was dropped off and picked up after enjoying a delicious picnic lunch under a private palm branched sun protection and snorkeling a lovely reef. It was a slice of heaven.

My five days there passed all too quickly, and I can’t wait to return.
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:04 AM

Sounds wonderful Diane!

Our family will be visiting Virgin Gorda for the 1st time in June. Did you do your island tour through LDB?

Carole
Old May 7th, 2007, 07:44 AM

Oh my goodness - this sounds like heaven! Thanks for the trip report, we will definately put this on our list. How were the rooms? Can you catch a ferry from ST or do you have to hop 2 ferries (ST and SJ) to get there?
Old May 7th, 2007, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

To cawhite. A friend took me on the tour, but I feel that LD can arrange a tour. You may even wish to rent a car through them, as there is little traffic on the roads. Even I, who has a fear of driving on the left side of the road would not be afraid to do so. You also may want to contact there activities person. There is tons of things to do, which gives me many reasons to return.

To bankbabe. The rooms were lovely, bright and cheerful. All have been recently renovated with marble walled bathrooms. I was ferried to LD by Caneel's ferry. but took an air taxi arranged by Little Dix for a very short ride back to the St. Thomas airport. I had never flown in a small plane before, and it proved to be a definite highlight as it provided scenic close-up views of the islands. The pilot was very nice and helped me with my luggage to customs and my airline's ticket counter Next trip, I will probably do that both ways, although I understand most of their guests come from San Juan to Tortulla, where LD picks themup.
Old May 7th, 2007, 11:51 AM

Nice report. Thanks. Can you compare Little Dix to Caneel. Differences. Likes and dislikes between the two, etc.?
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:19 AM
Original Poster

To jarredK: I am hard pressed to state dislikes of either resort, since I love them both and intend to include both in my future travel plans. Both are managed by Rosewood, and while similar are different in their own individuality.

Caneel's rooms are spread over its 170 acres and are further apart. Little Dix's rooms are more clusterred together surrounding its half mile beach, but the entire property is on 500 acres However both resorts have the feel of uncrowded privacy on their grounds or beach(es). I would only see a few people on the path to the restaurants or activity center and by the water. Caneel has 170 guest rooms, Little Dix has 100. My room at Caneel is usually Hawksnest beachfront, but beining unavailable on this trip, I had Cottage Point, Premium oceanview. While the view was outstanding, my preferench is still Hawksnest My roomat Little Dix was Premium Oceanview, and the view was so lovely and located so close to the water, that I did not see much advantage to beachfront except that they were closer to the boathouse where there is better snorkeling and is the location of the beach toys. However, the walk to that area is beautifful, and you could call for immediate shuttle service.

At caneel, the off beach snorkeling is superb, but at Little Dix, by the boathouse area, there were numerous sea turtles to be seen, and the beach drops more than compensated my snorkeling needs, and I am an avid snorkeler.

Food at bt both resorts are very good. Caneel having more guest rooms offers a larger variety at their breakfast and lunch buffets, but at Little Dix, the variety was ample, delicious and provided greater server attention. Caneel has three dinner restaurants plus the beach bar, the latter is openalso for lunch, Little Dix has two plus casual dining by the boat house. While I did not eat at the latter, I had excellent meals at all of the formal dining areas
Old May 8th, 2007, 12:54 AM
Original Poster

To JarredK continued:
Somehow the post got away from me.
I felt the dining servers at Little Dix to be warmer and up a not from Caneel, where it is usually satisfactory.

Activities - Both resorts have plentiful activities and daytrips, but it seems that Little Dix has an even more extensive variety After e-mailing the activities director at Little Dix, I was delightfully amazed to receive a huge stack of pages which listed there many choices of things to do. Things that I want to do upon my next visit include a day trip to Anagenda Island, dive the Rhone, snorkle Ginger Island and the beach picnic.

Shopping - from Caneel it is a very short taxi ride to Cruz Bay, where there are many boutique shops and restaurants, and Caneel provides constant several times a day unlimited ferry service to Charlotte Amalie which is included in their airport transfer fee. It is an evenshorter ride from Little Dix, and is walkable to Spanish Town, but shopping is limited and minimal However, by renting a car, there are nice local areas with a local Caribbean feel to have a drink or dine. Their boat goes daily to Tortolla, and I not sure what could be found there.

Rooms - I felt my room at Little Dix to be prettier and more luxurious than at Caneel, but I have never been disappointed at Caneel, where I feel they fit with the Caneel flavor and are spacious and comfortable.

Pools- Little Dix pool is beautiful, two tiered with waterfall, and at Caneel non-descript.

Spas- The Spa at Little Dix is drop dead gorgeous. Not using the services there are at the Self Center at Caneel, I cannot compare the two.\; however, I definitely want to try the one at Little Dix.

Either resort would make a wonderful choice and is simply a matter of choice. If one has the time and don't mind moving doing them both is great way to explore. My five days at Little Dix did not seem like enough time to do all that I wanted to do.
Old May 8th, 2007, 08:56 AM

Overall how would you compare the variety and quality and health of the coral between VG and Caneel area if you were at Caneel in the past 2-2 1/2 years? I realize the Baths are lovely but for those over 55 it is a little treacherous getting down to the Baths but once there they are an hour of pleasure.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Original Poster

To StanKase,

I was at Caneel this past November and April. Because of my frequency of visits there, I feel much more knowledgeable about the good snorkeling spots there. Accessabilty from all beaches is very good as is the snorkeling, and from Caneel Beach, it is very easy Stay to the right shore by the rocks. At Hawksnest there is ma llarge variety of marine life if you stay to the right, particularly after you round the turn. Coral is beautiful on the left. Flotation belts can be had fee free with the rest of your equiptment, which makes snorkeling easy for anyone. At Little Dix, it seemed that the best snorkeling sights were at the beach drop offs. I felt that the reef off of Savannah Bay beach was excellent. The water was calm. The reef was divided into two sections and snorkeling back to the breal in the reef for my return to the beach was a little tricky, but definitely worth the effort The beach there is breathtaking. I also snorked at Trunk Mountain. Snorkeling was aby rocks hugging the beach. There was a powerful water surge which hit the beach and it made entring and exiting the water somewhat dicey. However, it had rained the day before, and I understand that had made the sea rough. There are many other beaches that they will boat guests too. I feel that the staff would be most helpful in choosing the one that's right for you.
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:33 AM

Wow - thanks Dianebridles. Very informative. Sounds like, although both were great, you may have slighltly preferred Little Dix. How does the hiking compare - if you know?
Old May 8th, 2007, 09:42 PM
Original Poster

I did not do any hiking, but plan to do so when I return. I was told that you could hike to one of the beach drop offs, and you could make arrangements for the personnel at the boat house to pick you up and even drop off your lunch and gear for you. Savnnah Bay Beach is about a 45 minute walk, and The Baths is much closer. The beach picnic is scheduled every Thusday, but It rained that day when I was there, so it was cancelled. I did see the sight though, and it looked very nice.

I am not sure that I really have a preference. Caneel has always provided awesome experiences for me, and Little Dix is the only other place that I could say that I liked as well. It was a new and exciting experience where I was treated very warmly, and I can't wait to return. I would be hard pressed to choose between the two. We are booked for a family Thanksgiving at Caneel, and I am I am debating about following that with days at Little Dix or waiting until next spring and doing LD for about 8-9 days. Four days just doesn't allow enough time for all that I want to do.
Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 06:13 PM

I'm undecided between Caneel and Little Dix. I don't like the feeling of crowds on vacation, and we want good snorkeling.
I've been to Grand Cayman, Bonaire and Little Cayman so I'm going to compare the snorkeling to that.
Would you suggest we stay at both properties during one trip?
we are coming from Oregon, do we fly to St Thomas for either property?
Any helpful suggestions on reaching a final decision or which to select? I'm sure both are very lovely.

If you have any pics of either place, I'd love to see them.
I have a friend that has recommended Caneel, but she says to get the ocean view rooms only.

Thanks
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 06:38 AM

Dianebridles: Thanks for the report! We've loved our day trips to Virgin Gorda, and I was wondering whether the Caneel "ferry" to LDB can be taken by nonguests? If so, do you recall a price? Perhaps we'll try an overnight trip sometime to get more time in on Virgin Gorda. Also, I have been trying to see turtles for years without luck (can you believe it?), maybe LDB will finally be the charm. I'm intrigued by what you said about the off-beach snorkeling, how the water gets deep quickly. How quickly and how deep? I'm always curious by others snorkeling experiences and perspectives. Thanks again.
Old Jun 4th, 2007, 07:51 AM

My husband and I will be at LDB in August, and we are looking for the easiest way to get from Virgin Gorda back to St. Thomas. I am curious about the air taxi arranged by LDB. Was it a chartered plane? If not, what was the airline? Was it pricey? Thanks!