Search

Tortola Questions

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2005, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tortola Questions

I was wondering if Tortola is worth a weeks stay or if it is more an island to do a day trip? We love St.John and would like something like that. We always want to try something new but end up on St.John because nothing seems to beat it in our opinions. We don't need lots of nightlife, but a bar or two would be good. We love beautiful beaches and a relaxed atmosphere where you don't have to worry about theft all that much. Tortola looks beautiful but it doesn't seem like many people chat about it. What are the drawbacks to Tortola and what are some of the great aspects of it. Also, would you suggest flying right into Tortola or flying into St.Thomas and ferrying over? Thanks
Old May 14th, 2005, 08:53 AM

I can't answer your questions regarding Tortola, as our first trip there is scheduled for September. However, there is a good forum with lots of discussion on Tortola and the rest of the British Virgin Islands. Sorry I can't create a link, here's the website:
http://www.traveltalkonline.com/foru...&Board=bvi
Good luck with your trip planning!
Old May 14th, 2005, 11:53 AM

My wife and I spent a beautiful four days/three nights on Tortola, May 6 - 9, 2005. We stayed at the Long Bay Beach Resort and totally loved it!!! Fodors comment about "sometimes less than stellar service" is dated. I understand that the Resort has undergone managerial changes. All we know is that the service was really, really good and very friendly!

We spent a week on St. John 10 years ago. And five days on St. Thomas. You will agree that St. John is a big step from the hustle of St. Thomas when the cruise ships are in. The West End of Tortola is another half step, if not full step from St. John., really quiet and relaxed.

The ferry ride from Charlotte Amalie to West End, Tortola is a fun ride, but time consuming. We intend to pay the extra air fare and fly to Beef Island Airport from San Juan...
Old May 15th, 2005, 03:43 AM

We spent a week last summer and loved it! Tortola is still somewhat rural. We never locked our car doors and sometimes forgot to lock our apt door.

We were never hassled. We totally slowed down. We would go to the beach at Long Bay and walk all the way to the end and be the only people out there for hours. When we snorkeled at Brewers Bay we were out there with maybe a couple other people.

I'm glad the masses haven't made it to Tortola. I hope it stays that way!

One of the drawbacks that I didn't like was driving the mountains. Wow, they are tough. But, by the end of the week you get used to them.

We flew in from San Juan on a triple connection from Atlanta. I wouldn't do that again. I would fly into STT and ferry over into West End and rent a car there. We used Denzil Clyne's. They were great!

Peace, Greenie.
Old May 15th, 2005, 04:45 AM

Doug_G,
We're staying at Long Bay Beach Resort in September. Just a few questions. Did you eat at the resort? What type of room did you have? Any info/tips you can provide are appreciated! Thanks in advance.
Old May 15th, 2005, 09:16 AM

I've been to both Tortola and St. John. We go for 10 days in the winter.

Tortola is very much like St. John. Safe, quiet. Beaches are good. We were there a couple of years ago and they just started having cruise ships in port but nothing like St. Thomas (which ships it's folks over the Trunk Bay in St. John to snorkel).
We rent a house when we go to the islands, so I can't comment on nightlife. They do have a town with shops and restaurants.

I've been all over the Caribbean and my first choice is St. John, but Tortola and Virgin Gorda are a very close second. We tend to alternate between St John and Tortola. (Virgin Gorda is more difficult to get to that the other two)

If you want something different, but close to your St. John experience, I'd try Tortola

Old May 16th, 2005, 04:28 AM
Original Poster

Macrodome-
What house do you rent? We are looking for a villa rental if we go.
Old May 16th, 2005, 07:34 AM

I love tortola, I have been going there since the 1970s. It is wonderful. My favorite villa is indigo house, its right on the beach in Cane Garden Bay - indigohouse.org

You must rent a car there as the island is huge! and taxis are very expensive. Make sure you eat dinner at Sugar Mill Hotel. It is wonderful. One of my favorite restaurants. Tortola is beautiful, looks a lot like St John in terms of being lush, beautiful beaches, etc.

I have also rented amerjack house, which is larger with a pool, etc not on the beach, but a wonderful view, set up high in the hills.

I am actually in Nevis myself right now! Sitting here with my laptop looking out at the sea... paradise!
Old May 20th, 2005, 08:09 AM

Long Bay is a great resort. We have been twice. We like the hillside deluxe rooms for the view. On the second trip some friends had beachfront deluxe - very nice. Another couple brought their child and had a hillside villa - which was also nice. The restaurants on site are excellent. You will want a car. And have a ball at Bomba's...
Old May 20th, 2005, 11:17 AM

We stayed at Long Bay Beach Resort last November 2004. Had a wonderful time our favorite beach was the one down the dirt road from the resort spectacular views and beaches. There is no nightlife that we could find where we felt comfortable about having some drinks and making the trek back to the resort. You probably could do a cab ride though into the main town area. This is a beautiful island with lots and lots of hills. If we were going again we'd stay in St. John and take an overnight trip to Tortola, Virgin Gorda and please do not miss Jost Van Dyke one of the most beautiful places on earth. Enjoy