Kingston vacation

Aug 26th, 2002, 05:31 PM
Fran

Kingston vacation

Hi.Me and my husband are in our 60's and are planning a vacation to Jamaica. We have never been to the Caribbean before so we decided to go to Jamaica since that seems to be quite popular. We will be vacationing in Kingston since it is a bustling city with a lot of culture per out travel agent. . Any hints on some nice restaurants and museums to visit while we are there? We can't wait to go. Being that we are from North Dakota we look forward to seeing the ocean for the first time.

Aug 27th, 2002, 04:42 AM
tivertonhouse

Tell me you're not jokifying,please.Think your travel agent needs to get out and about a bit more...Kingston is decidedly NOT the best choice unless you're staying up at Strawberry Hill in Irish Town or yearn to research street crime first-hand. Do some research to match what you seek with Jamaican destinations. Port Antonio would be far better or Treasure Beach.

Aug 27th, 2002, 05:07 AM
Professional Travel Agent

As a Professional Travel Agent NO WAY would I or my agency EVER recommend Kingston to a client! Jamaica has some lovely areas but Kingston is definitely not one of them. Please rethink your decision and find another travel agent!

Aug 27th, 2002, 05:22 AM
Liz

B.S. ALERT!!

Aug 27th, 2002, 06:06 AM
eddie

Fran,

What a wonderful idea. You will have an exceptional vacation when you come to Kingston. I would recommend the Terra Nova hotel. It is located in a section called New Kingston, which, as by its name you can tell, is going to be an ultra-modern oasis in the Caribbean. Nearby you'll experience the pleasures of Wong's food market, where (relatively) fresh fish, produce, and powdered milk can be purchased at incredibly low prices. Allowing for the rate of exchange on your visit, you may find even better bargains.
Only a block away on Knutsford Boulevard is the outstanding gourmet restaurant, Tastee Patty. I would recommend making reservations well in advance, as at luch time, lines can sometimes run right out the door. And only a block away is another epicurian treasure, KFC. The KFC is reasonably close to the Kingston Crafts market, where you can find a wonderful selection of coconuts painted to look like people's faces, beautiful woven baskets, and intricate wood carvings.
Of course, your interest in the warm, aquamarine colored Caribben means you'll need to take a boat to Lime Cay to truly experience the ambiance one only finds in Kingston.
If you're lucky and visit near election time, you'll find the East Kingston Gang Shootout simulation (currently scheduled at noon, 3 PM , 6 PM, 9 PM and midnite) in full swing. You won't believe how exciting it is to have simulated bullets zipping past your head. To fully appreciate the experience, do what I do and yell "Me fuh Seaga!" as loud as you can. It never fails to generate volley after volley of simulated gun fire.
Oh, make sure you see Bob Marley's museum, and find time to enjoy an ice cream at Devon House.
If you want to meet some of the warm and friendly people of Kingston, here's another worthwhile tip: make it a point to stop and count your money regul;arly as you wander around the city. You'll make a number of new friends in only minutes. Also not to me missed is a mid-nite stroll by the National Stadium. Try to time your stroll when there's no cricket scheduled. You'll want the stadium area as empty and desolate as possible.
Enjoy your long awaited vacation to Kingston.

Aug 27th, 2002, 07:01 AM
ohp

eddie
hey mon, canna I sign you up to be ma special tour guide...you be one cool dude man

Aug 27th, 2002, 07:06 AM
jojo

when I was there I walked all over at night and day and had a great time never had any problems. it is a great city to visit and very safe. do not worry about theft or anything the people are nice. good food abounds. go and have fun

Aug 27th, 2002, 07:06 AM
rex

We know that this is a scam post since no one actually lives in North Dakota.

Aug 27th, 2002, 10:51 AM
tivertonhouse

Eddie -- We've got a super shot of the KFC with one corner burnt off during the last playtime session in K-town.
Happy to send it to you for your tour brochure...