Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Did I make a mistake? Tamil Nadu in Feb???

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29th, 2009, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Our flights ( Feb. 11) are booked and some hotels have been reserved. We plan to be in the South for 3 weeks. After reading a few post I think I've made a large mistake...too hot! I am a native California woman and can take the heat and my husband (although British) is pretty tolerate of the heat. But, it sounds like it's more than hot...baking?

I'm checking with the airlines now to see if we can make changes but not sure about your schedule. Yikes, what do you think?
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 10:23 AM

Wow, puttakka. Good work. Now you've got people unnecessarily worried, wanting to cancel their trip.

In my humble opinion, impacked, you'll be perfectly, perfectly, perfectly fine. Please, try not to get worried. You'll have a great time. You'll be in an A/C car, staying in A/C hotels, often close to the coast with lovely sea breezes, or else you'll probably be up in the hills where the heat really won't be a problem. The only time you may find the heat an issue could be if you are scheduling temple stops in the middle of the day. Take a hat, cold water and stay out of the direct sun. Use the hotter times of the day to travel and the cooler morning and late afternoon/evening to sightsee. You'll get better pictures that way, as well.

Of course, our latest India expert will doubtless disagree and cause you more stress. Just let me add a soothing voice of reason before the verbiage begins. Hopefully, you'll get a proper range of opinions from this new post. Please, try to relax about this. I'm concerned at the conjecture that's causing you upset, but everybody is entitled to their view, I guess. You'll just have to choose who you believe. I hope you'll relax, continue with your plans, go, enjoy Tamil Nadu and post a trip report.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM
Original Poster

Dogster, My husband says to tell you "Thank you!!". He says he can't believe I will take advice from a stanger but not him. But, whatever, we're both happy to take your advice and will set sail soon!

HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 11:16 AM

lol lol lol. Great. And my regards to Mr. Impacked - now, relax and enjoy your New Year. Bless you both.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 11:57 AM

FYI, this is my fist post on Fodor's Forums. Woohoo!

My wife and I were in Tamil Nadu last Feb for two weeks and I have to agree with dogster that you'll be OK and to stay out of the direct sun which seemed to bother us North Carolinians more than the heat.

FYI: Our route was Kanyakumari to Madurai to Trichy to Pondicherry to Mamallapuram.

Have a great trip!
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 01:03 PM

Dogster - you really need to get a life. Please.

Impacked - I wouldn't bother changing your trip based on what I advised the other person, who was deciding whether to go in November or March. The whole thing got blown out of proportion when dogster started barking about my knowledge about South India just because I dared to give advice that was different than his.

He is right about your question, though- don't go visiting temples in the middle of the day. Another good tip to deal with the Indian sun is to wear long sleeves and pants! I know it sounds counterintuitive but light breathable loose-fitting cotton fabrics are your friend and help keep one cool.

If it makes you feel better, I decided to go to Japan last year smack in the middle of rainy season, against the advice of all my Japanese friends, who warmed me that it would either be horribly hot or torrential downpour, but we ended up getting perfect weather. very little rain, and had a marvelous time.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 01:27 PM

Google "weather South India" - there is some helpful travel advice for you.

http://www.travelplanetindia.com/sou...a-climate.html
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 01:47 PM

I was in South India in November so can not advice to the temperatures in February. What I did learn from my trip last month in SEA do not bring T-shirts, they are too hot. I wore mainly kurtas the long sleeved Indian lightweight shirts and rayon pants or skirts. They are the most comfortable things to wear when it is hot, I also bought some Shalwar Kameez in India which I live in during the hot summer in NYC. By the way I am not a hippie, nor do I dress as one.

You will have the best time, enjoy all the fabulous seafood
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 02:38 PM

Don't know anything about India but would love to go there one day. Here is more info for you that you may not think is pertinent but I believe it is. We are now in an El Nino FYI

http://www.knmi.nl/research/global_c.../enso/effects/

Aloha!
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 02:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I realize you can't always plan everything perfectly and even then it could get screwed up. You know, alot of money, time and efforts so I just wanted to make sure I was not making a Major mistake.

We're very excited!
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 03:24 PM

Your trip will be perfect, especially since you are prepared! Where are you coming from? Be sure to give yourself some down time to adjust to the change in time and temperature.
Old Dec 29th, 2009, 09:46 PM

Mean temp in Tamilnadu in Feb would be betw 73F(low) & 90F(going up to a 100F during the peak of summer,around late March & April).Not so 'mean'.Infact a good time to travel.A wee bit more than parts of California.Coastal Tamilnadu could get humid.Cover yourself with light cotton clothing as suggested above.Try and avoid mid-day visits to the temples(especially when you need to tread barefoot in some,as the local custom demands).Rehydrate.Go easy on spicy food if your not accustomed.You'll do just fine.
Old Dec 31st, 2009, 12:49 PM

It is not 'too' hot in Tamil nadu in February. Especially when you are from California. As somebody has advised better equip yourself with things that help you beat the heat. That should do. Don't panic unnecessarily.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 11:10 PM

Just got back from a week in Mamallapuram(Mahabalipuram).Brilliant weather(as long as you dont expose youself to the sun ,too long).Try and set of early if you are planning the shore temple,the rock caves & the stone chariots.The beach itself is ok(read dirty,except in front of the resort,think they take pains keeping it clean).The resort made up for it.Radisson GRT Temple Bay is a great property.Food & service,I would give an 8/10.
the link:http://www.grthotels.com/Home.aspx

Some marvelous carving in stone and wood on sale everywhere.You could see artesians at work.Good buys.Need to bargain.The usual tibetian craft dot the streets,not to mention the little shops selling cotton garments.