Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Just booked at Montpelier Plantation on Nevis and am getting nervous!

Feb 16th, 2007, 11:12 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone stayed there recently? Someone just gave it a "1" (out of 5) on tripadvisor -- very angry sounding person, but did not even stay there, just turned away at dinner I believe. I thought it sounded perfect, now I read how the rooms are disappointing and the beach is disappointing ... And I cancelled Caneel Bay because Nevis sounded less developed and more like the real Caribbean (if there is such a thing -- I have never been). Any comments? (We had been trying to go to Goldeneye in Jamaica, but the scheduling did not work out.)
Feb 16th, 2007, 12:31 PM

If you get nervous every time you read a negative review on a property then you will probably never stay anywhere! If you took the time to read other reviews of Montpelier you would see that the vast majority of people give it glowing reviews. (Even on this board). You should be concerned if negative reviews dominate or match the positive ones. You will find some disgruntled person post a scathing review just about everywhere so please for your own sake, don't be second guessing yourself to death. For the record, I have stayed at Montpelier and I can tell you that it is just about faultless. Get a grip!!!
Feb 16th, 2007, 12:49 PM

I don't know where you read about the rooms and beaches being disappointing but I think that it is one of the best-run places I have ever stayed. I read the review you just mentioned on trip advisor and it sounds a bit hard to believe. Muffin was nothing but kind and gracious when we there as was all the family and the staff. You may decide it's not for you for other reasons but don't let this review put you off.
Feb 16th, 2007, 12:54 PM

Geez, heaven help you if you get nervous this easily. You can't avoid negative reviews in the hotel business. You just need to keep in mind are these typical reviews or aberrations? If you dig deeper into some of the scathing reviews on Trip Advisor, you will see that alot has to do with the poster's personality. I can tell you that Nevis is my favorite island and you will have a great time. Montpelier is one the best places to stay. You will be spoiled and treated well.
Feb 16th, 2007, 01:33 PM

If you're holding out for accommodation that is universally popular, you will be waiting a long time. Thank goodness we don't all like the same things! You should be able to tell from the tone of the review whether it's a legitamate complaint, a whiner, or just someone wanting to stir things up a bit (i.e. a troll), and you should be able to tell among all the reviews whether a certain poster has similar values to you in terms of what you're looking for on vacation.

Although there are certainly some cases of inexcusably bad service in the Caribbean, I frequently dismiss complaints of poor service when I read them. It's not a region where hovering or a hop-to-it style is encouraged--it's a slower pace, for one thing. And 99 times out of 100, tourists get back the kind of attitude that they give. If they're demanding and haughty ("That's not the way things are done in new York!"), the service they get in return is commensurately glacial, in terms of both speed and temperature.

Since Montpelier has overall a very fine rating, both at Trip Advisor and other forums, including here, no doubt you'll be fine. Look at the big picture and don't sweat the small stuff in terms of reviews.

For what it's worth, I had a marvelous experience at Montpelier as a diner, not a guest. Service, food, atmosphere, value, presentation--all were of a very high standard. When I return to Nevis, Montpelier is one of only two hotels I would consider staying.
Feb 16th, 2007, 01:36 PM

I have never stayed there, but booked honeymooners and they loved it! If Lady Diana and Fergie stayed there it can't be that bad.

Be sure to visit Chevy's Beach bar located on beautiful Pinney's Beach. Delicious food, reggae music and friendly service.

Visit www.myislands.myeyez.net for more information on Nevis.

Relax and have a good time!
Feb 16th, 2007, 02:33 PM

Montpelier is wonderful. I would not worry about it, you are always going to read negative reviews about pretty much any place. And yes Nevis is much less developed than St John. I am sure you will have a wonderful time!
Feb 16th, 2007, 03:00 PM
cw

I'm sure Montpelier gives their highest priority to their guests. I wouldn't worry about the tripadvisor review, since you'll be staying there and not "dropping in."

Enjoy. It's a beautiful location. We'll be retunring to the Hermitage soon and hope to have dinner at Montpelier one evening.

CW
Feb 16th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Hello, We stayed last April at Montpelier- we actually spent 3 nights there and 5 nights at Nisbet Plantation.
We were disappointed in the beach there-had to drive to get there and most chairs are in the shade and can't be moved down to the water. The rooms were ok- the pool and the restaurant were very nice. Staff was friendly but cautious....nothing like Nisbet- we absolutely loved our stay there-very charming- the staff was so friendly and we met some great people- plus the beach is beautiful! Nisbet is also a better location to try out different restaurants. Montpelier is very isolated. (Loved the yellow labs there)! The rooms are also nicer at Nisbet- book the rooms closest to the water- upper level.
Montpelier is very nice but a little pretentious for us....we preferred Nisbet... let me know if you have any further questions. I have used this board alot myself! Thanks, Susan
Feb 16th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Original Poster

smartin,
Did you happen to see the 4 Seasons resort while you were on Nevis? I usually prefer small places, but I am traveling with a 13 year old, and thought of perhaps doing 2 nights at Montpelier and 2 at the Four Seasons. Although I will take a look at Nisbet now that you mentioned it. I don't think I can cancel Montpelier altogether, so we will likely go there. Thank you for your comments, all (especially you folks who did not attack me for being "nervous"!!)
Feb 16th, 2007, 03:53 PM

west - FS is great. Especially with kids, the beach is very nice. I spend a lot of time there I do not like large hotels either, but is not that big and does not feel "huge" like big resorts because its not a hig rise or anything like that. I love Montpelier, but if you prefer to be on the beach either do FS or Nisbet. Nisbet is really nice also, small and charming. Of the three I don't really think you can go wrong, but either Nisbet or FS would be beachfront, FS of course has the most to do on property of the three. And FS and Nisbet are closer to town and other beaches, restaurants, etc. SO I think it mostly depends on how important being right on the beach is. Montpelier does have a nice pool though. GL in your decision! I am headed back to Nevis myself in a few weeks! Very excited.
Feb 17th, 2007, 03:40 AM

One qick response to the OP - you mentioned the negative review was from someone who was "turned away at dinner" - well Montpelier is a very popular spot for dinner (some say it's the best on the island) and they can only accomodate a limited number of diners and it gets booked up quickly so reservations are a must for resorts non-guests. Those who think they can just show up for dinner without reservations will be disappointed more often then not.

I just want to add to what alrrady has been said, Montpelier is an excellent resort.
Feb 17th, 2007, 08:53 AM

West2: I think you should cancel Montpelier and book somewhere else. On some level, you probably were not convinced about it and you are finding things that are feeding your doubts. It would be better if you didn't go because you will arrive afraid that you won't like it. I also didn't realize you were bringing your son. Montpelier is a quiet place and your son may be bored. You are being honest about being nervous, so listen to your instincts and rebook.
Feb 17th, 2007, 11:46 AM
Original Poster

IslandGrl (and others)
It is so interesting to read all these responses. I think the solution is to do 2 nights Montpelier and 2 nights elsewhere -- which is something I often do on a first trip to a region to get a feel for different places. Fortunately, my son is a really good traveler, and doesn't need much -- we will go hiking, maybe snorkeling, find local restaurants, read, whatever -- I am sure we will all be very happy. It is sometimes hard to justify the expense of these trips -- which is why I try to find the unattainable, i.e., the perfect place (which would be: beautiful rooms with romantic touches -- i.e. mahagony four poster beds, no tvs, incredible food, gorgeous beach with turquoise water, a lush foliage, warm people, interesting culture and history, no cruise ships disgorging hordes of passengers.) If anything fits that, let me know!

Thank you for all your comments!
Feb 20th, 2007, 08:20 AM

We did go visit the Four Seasons on our trip last April -more happening on the beach- pretty pools- but a whole different atmosphere from Montpelier or Nisbet....might want to check out reviews on Trip Advisor- seems to me that's one reason I did not consider, in addition to the difference in cost. Goodluck-don't forget hiking at the Golden Rock? and lunch there- I believe that is the name! Have fun!! Susan
Feb 20th, 2007, 10:03 AM

I visited both FS and Nisbet last year and am returning to Nisbet at the end of March. They are both wonderful properties but very different. With a 13 year old, definitely choose the FS. There will be other kids there and many more activities. There is nothing to do at Nisbet except relax and it's extremely peaceful, no TV's in rooms which might be an issue for your child (it would be for mine). It's a romantic, charming setting geared toward couples. When are you going? I think the FS is a good value in the off season with all the packages and deals you can get, but really overpriced in high season. It's nice, but in my opinion not $800+ a night nice! My favorite FS is Punta Mita, lower prices and a more spectacular resort.
Mar 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM

You should read Eileen's notes on being turned away at the Four Season's while her husband played golf. It seems, Eileen that that dilemma has been solved if you're going back.

Montpelier is a plantation manor hotel. It is in the hills above the mosquito line (yeah, sure) and NOT a beach resort like 4S and Nesbit's. It is for rest and relaxation. All of the mountain resorts have transport to the beach for their guests. If you want beaches you have to stay on the beach. Oualie's is another choice that's kid freindly with lots of water related activities.

Montpelier also has a very British West Indies style to it's management. For those that like that sort of thing, that is what they like. If you want a more boisterous North American style, the beach hotels will be more to your liking.

As for someone being mad at being turned away from dining... What makes a tourist think that he/she can just drop into one of the best restaurants in the area and not need reservations? The hotel concierges are more than happy to arrange dine-arounds at no charge.