Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

The hotel is perfect, the staff is so helpful ....the hotel is horrible, the staff was the worst.... ???

The hotel is perfect, the staff is so helpful ....the hotel is horrible, the staff was the worst.... ???

Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:25 PM
lyb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use Trip Advisor a lot to find hotels or at least to research my hotels and I find it so amazing how a hotel will have dozens and dozens of reviews and most of them are people saying how the hotel was great and the staff was very helpful. And then you'll have a few, very few, reviews mixed in from people who say that the hotel is the worse and the staff as so unfriendly and mean.... Doesn't it make you wonder about those people? I always think that those people must be the biggest pains and complainers. I give no value to their review whatsoever.

I was curious as to how others feel when they see such discrepancies in hotel reviews. Do you also think -- complainers... whatever, let me read what normal people have to say...
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 10:38 PM

If you had the misfortune as those few reviewers you term as abnormal and 'complainers', then you may understand the reasons for their complaints.

My family and I have been unlucky to have bad stays at well-regarded hotels so I won't dismiss all negative reviewers as being picky and that something must be wrong with them for complaining. Of course, I'm not referring to complaints because one's expectations are skyhigh and unrealistic. I'm referring to genuine complaints which to you may be nitpicking.

Btw, what makes you feel that the fantastic, amazing reviews you read are all genuine? I've read lots of glowing reviews that, to me, seem too good to be true and are sometimes worded in a way that suggests the hotel was behind them.
Old Aug 6th, 2006, 11:18 PM

You're right lyb, some people are just grumps and they're just venting about their personal issues. You never know when people complain that the staff was inefficient if the clerk was new or if the reviewer is just difficult to please.
I only pay attention to the specific complaints, if there were bad smells or uncomfortable beds. Now, there's a complaint worth noting.
The best reviews, IMO, are the ones that include tram stops, distances, directions, and good breakfast places in the neighborhood.

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:04 AM

I do not understand why people think that words such as "comfortable" and "close" and "rude" and "fabulous" mean the same thing to everyone.

I do not think reviews that talk about good breakfasts in the area, for example, are any more genuione than reviews which talk about good breakfasts IN the hotel!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:17 AM
ira

Hi lyb,

Since all reviews are subjective and, usually, anonymous I never accept them at face value.

Also, it is always possible for the best establishments to have a bad day, or the worst to have a good day.

Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:25 AM

I recently read a review on Tripadvisor, where the reviewer had a headline that the Concierge was a liar and couldn't be trusted.

His crime, the reviewer had asked if it was going to rain, he said no and 30 minutes later it started to rain.

Geordie
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 02:29 AM

People use all sorts of different criteria to make their judgment, and it's hard to know what their filters are. Several times, I've seen cheap, well-located hotels badly reviewed because they have small rooms and quirky, but functional, plumbing. In my mind, I know I've made a tradeoff, so it wouldn't occur for me to criticize the hotel for those issues, although I would mention them in my review. Another issue is that different rooms and different floors in the same hotel can be very different, so if one person sleeps in sumptuous splendor and another is stuck in a moldy closet, it's quite possible for both to be accurate.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:48 AM

It depends on the complaint & as someone earlier said, any hotel can have an employee who is an idiot & may no longer be employed there.

A spotted, filthy bedspread & a bathtub with hair in it are legitimate complaints. But had there been a glitch & the room hadn't been cleaned before the customer just checking in got there? What did the management do about the situation?

One can't expect 5 star amenities in a 2 star property either. I can also relate to the rain questions. It's cloudy here today so I am guaranteed to be asked at least 5 times, "How long will this rain last?"
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 03:57 AM

Weather answers? Good grief even the weatherpeople can't get the weather correct, so how could a hotel, lol.

There are people on Trip Advisor, at least when it comes to restaurants, that can't be trusted evidently. So I assume the same is true with hotels.

I have read reviews regarding hotels that I have stayed at at sometimes I can't believe the reviewer is talking about the same hotel. So I rarely go on Trip Advisor and when I do I take a lot of the reviews with a grain of salt (and where did that phrase come from?).
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 04:10 AM

Reviewing is a bit of an art. It takes practice to learn how not to let other aspects of one's trip colour one's impression of specific places or things, such as a hotel. If the trip to date has been less than fantastic, if the weather has been absolutely dreadful or someone has a terrible cold or worse yet an injury, then a hotel that fails expectations even only in a minor way might be the last straw. On the other hand, for two starry-eyed people on their honeymoon, everything's coming up roses. Young couples in love are charming, but wearing rose-coloured glasses might hinder one's ability to imagine the needs and requirements of a diversity of clientele, and how well the hotel might suit people different from oneself. So, positive reviews aren't necessarily more helpful than negative ones.

If reviewing a hotel takes practice, reviewing the reviewer is no different. It's unlikely that one can get a fix on a person's personality from the hotel reviews that they post - especially if it is only 1 review.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:14 AM

equally, some people look at everything with too much optimism. after spending thousands on a holiday, many people are unwilling to admit to themselves that they made a poor decision (or at least that it turned out to be a poor decision in the end). if you only have one or two holidays a year, there is a feeling that it just HAS TO be perfect.

as a result, i do not look at negative commments with any more suspicion that positive ones. either is subject to the personality of the reviewer.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 05:30 AM

The best reviews, negative or positive, are those that give specific details. Granted, those may have been made up too, but I operate on the basis that those details are less likely to have been fabricated. For example, if someone said "the stay was horrible, the rooms were noisy," vs. "the hotel is on a main road, so we could really hear the cars passing in our front room," then you know exactly how noisy it could have been, and whether that kind of noise would bother you. Or, "the breakfasts were wonderful." I don't like big, traditional American-style breakfasts, so if a reviewer said, "I had all the bacon and sausage I could eat," then that wouldn't necessarily be a positive review for me, but I'd know exactly what to expect.

Mentally, I probably throw out from my consideration the most glowing reports and the most dismal.

Then I look for comments that are consistent from report to report. For example, if 4 people said the rooms were small but clean, then it's more likely that the rooms might be smaller than average, but clean.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:18 AM

I tend to dismiss the best and worst and rely on the mean. Recently I was reading the reviews about a hotel in Rome. Every single review was postive in on aspect or another and many complimented the warmth and friendliness of the staff. One and only one review was negative and complained that the staff was rude and aloof. The very next post was a very gracious apology from the manager of the hotel. That sealed the deal for me. I'm staying there.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 06:35 AM

Yes, as mentioned above,....if 2 people have bad reviews about a place, and 10 people have glowing, wonderful reviews than I tend to weigh that toward a good hotel.
AS someone mentioned several months ago,: one wonders if some of these reviews are written by owners etc, or if bad they are written by competitive hotels. I tend to have faith in people, however, but still read the reviews with a little caution and tougue in cheek. You can get a fairly good over all picture of a place....and trip advisor has done us well in the past.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 08:25 AM

It's totally understandable that a hotel can have both the best and the worst reviews. All it takes is for the guest or the desk person to be having a bad day and that immediately sways the guest's opinion.

I admit I use TripAdvisor, but I do take reviews with a grain of salt, and when I write a review, I make sure I include relevant things about the hotel (not that we went to see a show or that it rained the day we were there - unless water came into the room!).

There was one place we stayed at in Barcelona that had great reviews. It was advertised as a B&B. When we got there, we found it was just an apartment that we had to share with another couple. We each had a room, but we had to share the bathroom and kitchen. No breakfast was provided - the owner didn't even live there! That certainly wasn't in the reviews, so I made sure to put it in.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:27 AM

lyb thinks that we are normal. I guess in our own little world, we are.

It is amazing how reviews can vary so much. I can see a hotel or a restaurant having an 'off day' Really I can't but it sounded like a nice thought. At least not the entire hotel or every dish/waiter in the restaurant.

I look for the word _clean_ in hotel reviews. Friendly service is next. A 'nice sized' room, often depends on how much luggage you have.

I too am leary of Trip Advisor reviews, much preferring to come here where I know that real (normal) people have survived and perhaps enjoyed their stay at a particular hotel.

Certain things are relative - cleanliness is not.

Nina
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM

I think it depends on a lot of things. I actually reviewed the hotel I stayed at in Copenhagen this last January. I thought it was wonderful. There were other reviews, mostly good, and some were terrible. In the end I figured it out, but someone who hadn't been there wouldn't konw the difference. The difference was what part of the hotel you were staying in. There is a very old section (come to find out) and a new section. I was in the new section, so it was great. There was someone complaining about the breakfast, which I did find amazing. The breakfast was fabulous. They also complained about the price of it and that I wouldn't know because it was included the my room price. So, I guess in the end, you just have to go with your own "gut" feeling about whether it would be a good place for you to stay.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:41 AM

Service=people. There could be 14 great employees at a hotel and 2 bad ones - if you encounter the two bad ones instead of the 14 good ones, you'll have negative things to say. Or, you could encounter the horrible employee who was fired the next day for giving poor service. Or, you could encounter a trainee who will get better over time.

There is a local fast food place that my kids like. The manager is the nicest guy you'd ever meet. When we go there and he is there, he makes sure that our experience is great. When we go there and he is not there, service is average at best and there are often mistakes in the order. Even one person can make a huge difference in the quality of a customer's experience.

As for the quality of hotel rooms, some hotels do have an "old" part and a "new" part (either remodeled or more recently built). Often, the quality of room does vary greatly within a hotel. I think that some really small hotels remodel on an "as needed" basis. On our honeymoon in Switzerland, our room was a small but beautifully decorated corner room. As we walked down the hall on a day when some room doors were open for cleaning, we saw that the decor varied widely - some of it was simply horrible!
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 09:51 AM

I use Tripadvisor all the time and find it the best source of hotel reviews, actually. What else are you going to do -- I find it far more accurate and up-to-date, and with more opinions than things like Mobil guides in the US, for example. I find them totally wrong.

I have seen some slightly conflicting reviews, but don't find it odd at all. I agree with the person above who said they just want specifics, that is what I want. And often they give them. I have given negative reviews on there for hotels others have raved about and I think those people are nuts to rave about the hotel, so don't find it odd at all. In some cases, certain amenties may be important at one time of year and not another (ie, AC -- if they don't have it but claim they do, or it doesn't work, you won't even notice in February).

I actually have not seen a lot of hotel with wildly divergent reviews on Tripadvisor, and I've used it a lot. At least I've never seen the case of 10 wonderful reviews and two completely terrible reviews for no reason in the ones I've searched.

I care about noise, working conditions, things like that and really don't care at all about friendliess of stuff.

I have seen a few reviews I thought were unjustified complaints when searching, they were about things I could decide if I cared or not, and I had no problem deciding how I felt about them and whether it mattered to me. Actually, I find it more common that because someone likes a place or had a wonderful time that they refuse to believe anyone who writes a negative review about a place, even when they are very specific. I've seen that on Fodors to some extent. I've seen people accuse others of making things up for no reason other than they liked a place and assume someone who didn't was a liar and never even stayed there. In most cases, I don't think random strangers want to spend time posting fake negative hotel reviews on places (what would be the motivation), and they usually have stayed there and disliked it and have their reasons.
I have seen raves on Fodors for hotels I thought merely adequate and would never stay in again. Not because they were such a horrible experience, but they were nothing special that I would ever make a point of going there again when I could choose elsewhere.
Old Aug 7th, 2006, 10:03 AM

From the reviews of places that I know about on TA , posted by people that obviously have never even been to the hotels or even the city being reviewed, I would take anything posted on TA with the tiniest grain of salt..even though I post reviews there.
There are sooo many motives behind those "real people" reviews..a hotel that is "gorgeous" to one and the food " yummy" can be a dump in others eyes..some people only post to pretend they actually stay in nice hotels..When you find some "normal" people here, let me know LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell My Personal Information