Search

Just back from Grand Cayman

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from Grand Cayman

Hi all,

We (a family of four - our children are ages 6 and 4) just returned from 9 days on GC. We stayed at the Hyatt, which was quite nice, once we got ourselves moved into a 3rd floor room (it's the same size room as the other standard rooms, but has vaulted ceilings and a bigger balcony). We were not impressed with the front desk staff, who never seemed interested enough in our questions to be bothered to answer. The rest of the staff was terrific though. We asked for an upgrade to a beachfront room, but they want 100 USD per night, or they would take 50 USD per night for the Regency Club (which is not beachfront, but includes breakfast). We opted to have a refrigerator brought to our room, where we kept milk and lunchmeats to cover breakfast and lunch.

The beaches are incredible, as is the snorkeling/diving.

Regarding restaurants, we liked Reef Grill, the Tree House, Cracked Conch and Rigazzi's, and for the kids, Lonestar was great. We didn't care for Decker's at all.

We took a one-day snorkel trip with Captain Marvin's crew and also went out to Rum Point.

If you have any questions, just let me know!

Take care!

Tina
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 04:37 PM

Glad to hear you had a great time! We're planning on a family trip (kids 6 & 11) this spring to GC. Is the snorkeling pretty good right off the Hyatt beach? I'd also like to know if you felt the beach area was over-run w/ people? My thoughts are to spend 4-5 nights around 7 mile (Hyatt is one we're considering) & renting a condo on the east end of the island for another 4-5 nights. Any input or suggestions would be appreciated!
Old Sep 8th, 2004, 06:33 PM

I was thinking of going to the Westin with my wife 4 year old and another couple with a 4 year old and 2 year old. I was wondering if there were things to do outside the hotel wit hthe kid and also just adults at night.
Old Sep 9th, 2004, 12:39 PM

We've been going to Cayman many years and love it. I would highly recommend a condo versus (any) hotel. There are many nice ones directly on the beach. IMO much more private and nice to have a kitchen for snacks, lunch, etc. We usually eat in during the day, enjoy the beach, snorkeling; but go to one of the great restaurants for dinner.
As far as nightlife there really isn't much.
We were last in Cayman in May - terrific weather. Going again late Sept., providing Ivan doesn't hit.
The Islands Club condos are one of our favorites along with Casa Caribe, and Aqua Bay.
Old Sep 10th, 2004, 03:46 PM

Susan,
Ivan will be long gone by late September, when are you going. Are you considering canceling?
Just curious

Old Sep 12th, 2004, 07:03 AM

We're leaving for Cayman 9/25. Not planning on canceling at this time but waiting to hear how bad Ivan was. We would probably just reschedule. Ivan is over Cayman (as we speak) and we're having trouble getting info on it. The news seems more concerned about Cuba.
Old Sep 12th, 2004, 11:47 AM

Hi, Susan.

For updates on the islands, try stormcarib.com

There's a specific thread for each of the islands, and several folks are keeping good info posted for GC.

I wish you a wonderful tim there -- and I'm jealous of anyone going there! It's a beautiful island!!