Latest on Grand Cayman

Oct 26th, 2004, 07:54 PM
Original Poster

Latest on Grand Cayman

What's the latest on tourism and the rebuilding efforts? I heard the Hyatt is not going to re-open till (approx) June '05. Any word on other hotels, condos (The Reef), etc.?
Oct 27th, 2004, 03:48 AM

This was posted here earlier this month:
http://abclocal.go.com/wjrt/news/101...a_caymans.html
Oct 28th, 2004, 05:52 PM

The Beach Suites at the Hyatt will re-open Dec 1st.

The Reef (my place) is scheduled to re-open Dec 11th.... earlier if we get power back

It is a slow process, but progress is being made every day. Lots of restaurants back open, atmosphere ebullient, Seven Mile Beach has lots of lovely new sand, and the marine life is more vibrant than ever.

Hurricanes are devastating, but also a natural disaster and part of the natural cycle.

Having said that, not an experience I wish to repeat !
Oct 29th, 2004, 05:48 AM

Tom, we are planning to visit in Feb. and stay at Plantana. I have a question, how do you think the snorkeling will be by Plantana and by cemetary reef? Last year we stayed at VOG and walked next door past the Westin, swam out and snorkeled near there.

Aslo, do you think there will be lots of families with kids at that time. I have one son, who is 12, and he really likes to play with other kids his age. Last year he had a ball at Rum Point and we'd like to be able to go there again.

Thanks.
Oct 30th, 2004, 04:38 AM

Do know that recovery is quite slow. Heard from a friend this week who lives just off 7MB Road in the Hyatt area and they still are relying on a generator
Oct 30th, 2004, 08:05 AM

meta,

This weekend and for three weekends the CITA (Cayman Islands Tourism Association) are running a beach clean up effort across the island, but predominantly on 7MB.... this should clear up debris from the sand and also in the first few hundred feet of water.

In other words, snorkelling should be good.

Heard from the Hyatt yesterday that they will have Rum Point re-opened for the high season.
Oct 31st, 2004, 10:47 AM
Filter14

http://stormcarib.com/reports/2004/cayman.shtml

www.caymanvacations.com
(click hurricane update)

Oct 31st, 2004, 11:19 AM

We stayed at the Sea Cliff Resort Teal house in Cottage near Franks Sound in June. It was a wonderful vacation, we fell in love with GC. I have tried to find out how Sea Cliff fared, but no luck. Does anyone know? Thanks.
Nov 1st, 2004, 03:56 PM

From what I heard from Don and Linda Martin, who run www.caymanvacation.com and are agents for most of the Sea Cliff units, they fared well. Contact them.
Nov 2nd, 2004, 07:41 AM
Filter14

Read this on stormcarib.com today

Author: Misty Eyed (---.ADSL.CandW.ky)
Date: 11-02-04 11:17

Yes it is true, some of the posts on this site are out there so we are tired of telling you the situation only to have negative feedback.

I'll give it one more try, DIRECT FROM CAYMAN.

Yesterday we had 2 cruise ship come in. It was nice to see. The Government was sure to have the roads these folks traveled on clean as possible. The secondary roads are still no where near clean.
Some of the shelters closed and consolidated all homeless in the East End Civic Center. This was a slap in the face for many homeless in GT or West Bay as we can not possibly get our kids to school in WB work in GT and work on home issues while living in EE.

Many of us have crammed into unsanitary conditions with others just to have a roof over our heads. Some of us do not have cars so we cant stay in EE.

Starting School in a modified way is important but I dont care if my kids miss the entire year, as we have no home, no laundry facilities, etc, how will they do homework, via candlelight.
There is talk about a cruise ship coming to house locals mid December. This will be starting at 50.00 per night per person, up to 350.00 per nigth per person. Hey if we could afford that we could stay at the Hotel, 5 in my family.

I know that the tourists are anxious to get here, but we need our homes back first, we have thousands displaced. Caymans is placing too much emphasis on tourists and not enough on locals, that is my personal opinion. If they only accepted help when it was offered...........
It has been almost 2 months and the recovery fund has not even started to disperse funds yet. Yes it is very frustrating.

7MB has no elect and no poles, so do not expect it anytime soon. Most residents are still in the dark unless you live in George Town. Every condo on 7MB has some form of damage. Plenty of contractors but no supplies. As soon as building supplies arrive they are sold out. We have plenty of food and water and clothing donations. Several resturants are open, some with generators and 1 menu item for the night, some have more of a selection such as the fast food places. So the opinion vaires depending if you are homeless like my family or if you are more fortunate and have your home or part of your home to live in, with a generator. The Courtyard and the Marriott are open and run by generator, they have guests such as insurance adjustors and homeowners down to check their property. Treasure Island is closed only open to construction workers. That is about it. I will post new news as I have it, for those interested in a local point of view. I really don't see how we will receive visitors proir to Jan, 2005 except at the few hotels currently open. Will update again.

Nov 2nd, 2004, 03:54 PM

... and whilst StormCarib was a tremendously valuable info source right after the storm, most people have stopped visiting it, as it is now full of negativity.

That post is in no way representative of the attitudes or feelings of most of us here.

Yes, we have a rough situation to get through, nobody denies that, but get through it we will, and with a smile and a positive attitude.

Cayman had by far the highest standard of living in the Caribbean, so we had a long way for living standards to drop, and drop they have, hence the shock factor for many residents.

As for visitors, it should not impact them. To put it bluntly, living standards for the next few months in Cayman for our tourism sector employees, whilst lower than before, will still likely be better than in many other popular Caribbean destinations...

Personally, I ain't got a roof over my head and am here without my (evacuated) family, but I am just getting on with it, I have a resort to get re-opened, and when that happens I secure the livelihoods of my employees.
Nov 3rd, 2004, 07:59 PM
Filter14

Tom, I respect your opinion.

I do however find value in all the reports and comments I read on every message board. I think it's very important that not only all the upbeat reports coming from resorts or their representatives be published, IF indeed the above article was written by a person living on the island, we should hear it too. A realty office is also updating their site and it's not all pleasant. I respect their choice to not sugarcoat the truth for us.

http://www.caymanislandsrealty.com/ivanreport6.htm

No arguement on some people seeing the glass half empty and other seeing it half full. But I will disagree entirely with the idea that none of this impacts tourists. You lost me there.

Best wishes to you and your family.

Nov 4th, 2004, 04:27 AM

We were notified this week that the opening of the condo (Crescent Pointe)where we were to stay has been delayed from Dec 1st to February. We were booked for 1/5.

So, we're looking at other islands now.
Nov 4th, 2004, 12:33 PM
Filter14

Brian, we were booked around the same time frame at Coralstone. I found out approx. 2 weeks ago that the original projected opening of Nov 20 was changed to Feb. 1. Now it's late March. I give Coralstone management ALOT of credit for thinking of their guests when making a decision to push the date back. Of course if they open earlier wonderful, but it gives us a chance to make alternate arrangements with some notice. I liked that the person who contacted me about my reso's said in so many words...'we want our guests to experience Coralstone when it's functioning at it's best'. We stayed there in Jan '04 and plan to go back in Jan '06.

I ended up booking our group of 8 to Aruba. We were there once before and while it's not an ideal location(to us!!), we don't have the luxury of changing our dates. I took the loss of $100 per ticket from Usair and had a limited amount of places to pick to stay at since it's so late in the planning. Good luck in your search.

Nov 4th, 2004, 01:05 PM

Filter, while disappointed that our condo won't be open, I can certainly understand how hard it would have to be to predict when all the repairs would be completed. It's not just the amount of time required to repair the specific buildings, but availabilty of materials and manpower. Since they haven't gone through something like this for decades, it is very understandable. And we're also glad that we have a (little) time to make other arrangements.

We're also looking at Aruba. We're bringing our two boys (19 & 24) so we wanted someplace that would have things to do, not just relaxing on the beach. We hope that we can make everything work, but we haven't finalized anything yet.

Have fun in Aruba!
Nov 4th, 2004, 01:35 PM
Filter14

Brian, I've got 2- 21 and 2- 19 year olds traveling with us(my kids and their friends) plus my 25yr old married daughter with her husband. Aruba will certainly keep them busy

I also want to state that in NO WAY do I fault any other condo/hotel/business over opening dates. I just wanted to give mention of Coralstone's acknowledging exactly what you stated---they are at the mercy of materials on hand and manpower instead of trying to wait it out and see if indeed it could get completed for the holidays. Friends are still going over NY's and staying at Regal Beach Club. They've stayed there before and looking forward to their return.

Nov 4th, 2004, 05:42 PM

Hi Filter,

Re the report you linked to from JC at Cayman Islands realty, mostly factual, and blunt reporting, which is good, but he reported that four days after the last CUC update, which stated that we would have power in East End by November 16th, and he says after Xmas.

Although unfortunately I fear he is right, it just goes to show that a lot of hearsay buzzes around in such exceptional circumstances.

As to things impacting tourists, we as an islands are very conscious of that, and the industry body and government are working extremely hard to have things ready... I am very closely involved with this, and have every confidence that things will be in good shape for tourists... we are a first world country that has been knocked back to the third, but that does not mean we have forgotten how to be organised.

Oh.. and along the lines of the other resorts you mentioned that have pushed back their dates for opening rather than disappoint Christmas guests... at The Reef we decided today to do the same... opening late January... better short term pain of loss of revenue than potential of visitors upset for the long term.

Search this Thread