Search

Grand Cayman rebuilding status?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Cayman rebuilding status?

Anyone been to Grand Cayman lately?
What shape is it in now, post-hurricane and months later?
Thanks,
Linda
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 09:01 AM

We are leaving Sat. for 5 days in Grand Cayman at Westin. I will let you know. I've tried to find out on a different posting if places across the street are open (restaurants, sports bar to watch NFL games) but have only got one answer saying they are closed.
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:41 PM

Passed thru on a cruise a couple of weeks ago. They have done remarkably well. Tourist areas are ready. Roads are even repaved! Should be no problem!
Ronnie
Old Jan 19th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, Ron. Nanorran, please do write back after your trip!
Linda
Old Jan 20th, 2005, 05:09 PM

Would love to hear how your trip goes Nanorran--please be sure to post on return. We are in a holding pattern, trying to decide for sure to go in July or not. Kind of concerned about construction and rebuilding noise on 7MB. Possibly would go to East end, though no sunset and the beach probably isn't the best for swimming (not snorklers). Anyone stayed at the Reef and felt the beach was really nice for lazy swimmers??
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 09:40 AM

beachluver... I think I know what you decided .... but for others, the beach at The Reef has two large sandy swim areas for easy paddling around and access for snorkellers... although (unlike 7MB), we also have awesome snorkelling.

As regards sunsets... as we face towards the East, it is true that we don't have sunset views from your balcony or patio... but then again our guests don't get the blazing sun blasting through their windows all afternoon... our beach is bathed in sunlight, but our balconies are cool and shaded from about midday onwards.

For sunset, the trick is to get your happy hour cocktail from Castro's Hideaway (and wait until you see the new beach bar... courtesy of "Ivan" rebuilding) and take a seat on a bench at the end of our dock and watch the sun set behind the resort
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:15 AM

We (our family of 5) stayed at The Reef last June and LOVED it. Our kids are older teenagers -- if they were younger, the drive might have been more of a drawback. I felt the beaches were more beautiful on 7 Mile Beach, but overall, we liked the East End better. It was quieter and had more of a 'desert island' feeling. Lots of times we had the beach to ourselves. The beach in front of The Reef is a little hard to enter, but once you're in the water, the snorkeling is great. We hope to return soon.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 11:25 AM

Hello
Glad to hear the positive replies! We too have older teens, so taking their needs into consideration as well as ours, I think we are going to have a wonderful trip--after all I do luv the beach....
Thanks for the input and look forward to hear how Nanorran reviews 7MB area.
Old Jan 22nd, 2005, 01:32 PM

We are booked to arrive in Cayman April 16th and are staying at the Reef for 4 nights - I may get to meet TomCayman! We are also booked to stay at the Sunshine Suites (reopening the 4th April). As we have a car for two weeks we will be checking out GC thoroughly and taking heaps of pictures. After our return (May 1st) I will be able to give an accurate account if anyone is interested.