July in the Caribbean? Bahamas or Grand Cayman?

Old Feb 21st, 2010, 12:21 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
July in the Caribbean? Bahamas or Grand Cayman?

My husband and I usually head to St. John in October but we have a chance using our Starwood points to stay at either the Bahamas (the Sheraton in Nassau) or Grand Cayman (the Westin). Which would be better?
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 12:57 PM
KVR

We've been once to Nassau and twice to Grand Cayman. Grand Cayman hands down. 7 Mile Beach is fabulous. Lots of things to see and do. Snorkeling is great and Georgetown is a nice area for shopping and dining. Take an Island tour and go to the botanical gardens. Rent a car and spend the day at Rum Point and some of the off shore snorkeling spots. Swim with the Sting Rays.

We really didn't care for Nassua. There is not as much to see and do there as Grand Cayman.
Old Feb 21st, 2010, 01:43 PM
Original Poster

I have never been to the Bahamas and did go to Grand Cayman as a kid - even then I thought it was beautiful. Thank you - I think I made up my mind - Susan
Old Feb 22nd, 2010, 06:47 PM

I've been to Freeport, not the same but stayed at The Westin Casaurina four times. Most recently we stayed at The Ritz but took a spin through the Westin to see how it looked. I feel it looks very worn. I read some pretty negative reviews a year ago but maybe things have perked up? That said, a free stay in Cayman for the water alone, would be worth it. Go to EATS across from the Westin so you don't have to pay for every meal there.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 05:22 AM

The Westin in Grand Cayman is on one of the best parts of Seven Mile Beach. I've heard that the rooms can be a little small, but who cares since you probably won't be in them that much.

I agree with the recommendation for EATS across the street. Very good breakfasts and excellent salads, burgers, sandwiches for lunch.
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:34 AM
Original Poster

We just booked the Westin Casaurina. I would love to stay at the Ritz but the deal we got at the Westin you can't really beat it. As far as the currency goes, do you recommend changing over the money at the hotel? ATM machines? Or just use credit cards? What about renting a car?
Old Feb 23rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
KVR

Businesses in Grand Cayman gladly take US money. The exchange rate is pretty bad as the American dollar is not worth as much there.

There is bus system that runs along 7 Mile Beach to Georgetown. It's easy and inexpensive. We did a Island tour to see most of the Island, but renting a car is good also. Spend the day at Rum Point. Buy a map and stop at many of the offshore snorkeling spots. Drive around to the East side of the Island.
Old Feb 25th, 2010, 03:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We stayed at the Marriott on 7 mile beach. We did not rent a car, but took taxis or walked. It is easy to rent a car, but not sure if you will need it the entire time.
american dollars accepted everywhere and like said above, worth less than the cayman dollar.
It is a lovely island, with the most beautiful water I have ever seen. The people were very friendly and we enjoyed our dining as well. The snorkeling was great. DH and DD went scuba diving and loved it.Enjoy!