Just back from Biras

Old May 14th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from Biras

My wife and I just got back from Biras last week and in a word it was "fabulous"! We've stayed at least a half dozen high-end resorts in the Caribbean but this was by far the best in terms of location/beauty, scenery, service, accommodations, food, etc. The term "rustic chic" gets used a lot to describe it, but it doesn't do it justice. I would say PSV, its closest comparison in our experience, is better described this way. I highly recommend it! Two other things: the Ocean front rooms are the way to go for sure and go to the Baths, they are worth it.
Old May 14th, 2004, 10:33 AM

We are also considering Biras for an anniversary celebration next year. We've been to PSV, Caneel, Little Dix, Cap Jaluca and are looking for a high end, quiet resort but with great location and good food. Any negatives (bugs, food, room accomodations?) We love snorkeling, a book at the beach, great food and a relaxing experience. I have heard a few negatives about the service and that the accomodations may be a bit more than "rustic". We know about the Caribbean service in general but we just don't want surly or mean at those prices. Any advice would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Old May 16th, 2004, 04:34 AM

Biras should fill the bill. The cottage suites are a little more upscale than PSVs, much nicer and larger than those at Dix. (for the ultimate accommodation, book a Grand Suite).

The cuisine is excellent and menu varies each night. Lobster is always available in season.

Snorkeling is best in and around the North Sound, meaning you can take one of their little Boston Whalers and go explore - or sign up for one of their complimentary guided snorkeling trips (a good idea the first day or so to see where all the snorkeing spots are).

Old May 16th, 2004, 06:29 AM

Gerry and I have been to Biras as well. We have been to Palm Island, Galley Bay, Jamaica Inn, Spice Beach Resort, LDB and Peter Island. Biras has the least desirable beach of all. It is man - made and grassy on the bottom. Other than that, the resort is excellent. . .
Old May 19th, 2004, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

To respond to a few of the most recent comments. The service was the best we've had in the Caribbean, meaning everyone was happy, very friendly, helpful and accommodating. It really couldn't have been better.

The beach is also much better than what I was led to believe. It is long enough that you are at least 20 feet from anyone else and it has a sandy bottom out to wading depth, then it turns a little grassy. The water is beautiful, walm, clear, usually very calm and a nice wind adds to the comfort. There is a beach bar but no beach service, which is ok because it's about a 20 second walk. There is also a nice diving platform.

The food is also very good, but note that the lobster, which is available every night (for $15 extra) is not Caribbean but the Atlantic variety.

I would not recommend the Garden View suites. They looked fine, but the Ocean Front had a MUCH better view.

Finally, there is not a resort we've been to anywhere that matches Biras for the views and romance. You will not be disappointed.