Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

When's the best time to buy for Sept. in Caribbean?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 11th, 2004, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're going to St. John for our HM in Sept. (thanks for all the great advice from the regulars here who helped us choose!) and have found what we think is a pretty good deal at the Westin (airfare/hotel). However, I know when I went to Europe last year, timing was everything in terms of getting the best deal.

So . . . Is now a good time to buy for St. John in Sept. If I wait will prices go down any? Am I in danger of them going UP if I DON'T buy now? Clue me in!

Jennie
Old May 11th, 2004, 07:44 AM

Jennie - Off season in St. John is May - November for the most part. You will probably be fine to purchase airline tickets now. I booked about 4 weeks in advance to go in May and got a fare of $322.50 which I was very pleased with. This is on CO from EWR to STT. You will find that savings come from flying midweek as opposed to weekends. Try different combinations of days to get the best price if your dates are flexible enough. Good Luck!
Old May 11th, 2004, 11:14 AM

While it's impossible to accurately predict when fare sales will occur because they're based on a complex (and constantly changing) computerized assessment of seat supply, demand, and expected pace of sales, loose rules can usually be defined.
One thing I've noticed is that demand is virtually never high for most places in the central and northern Caribbean in September due to the hurricane risk. Many places shut down entirely for Sept-early Oct. As such, the sale rates are usually put into effect much earlier for September than for other months.
Depending on what the rates are now, you could see some decline by July, but probably not a major change.
The risk of running into a sold out Westin for Sept is small.
You can gauge availability of seats on the plane by calling the airline.
Good luck. St. John is a great place to HM.
Old May 19th, 2004, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your advice!! I do appreciate it.

Jennie
Old May 19th, 2004, 07:15 AM
davsaz

Just between yesterday and today, Continental raised all of their prices on tickets....I've been monitoring prices for vacations in November. Luckily, I'm already locked in, but I always continue to watch the rates.

Old May 19th, 2004, 09:35 AM

Just giving all of you a heads up.... check the travel website tomorrow (May 20th), I think you might find some fall offers appear