airfare

May 3rd, 2007, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

airfare

We are planning a trip to France in Sept. Please help me with some thoughts. I know there will be "Fall Specials" - I've seen them in previous years. I would need to wait and be patient. But if I wait, are flights going to booked up limiting my choices more ? How early do you book ? Is there anything to this 0200 Wed. morning thing to buy ? Thank you.
May 3rd, 2007, 01:24 PM
ira

Hi M,

For our Sept trip, we bought tickets in Feb. Price didn't drop more than $20.

For our visit this May, we bought tickets last Aug. Price dropped $200 for 2 days in order to fill up the last center seats.

May 3rd, 2007, 03:21 PM

Sept is awfully early for Fall Specials - it;s still high season. You usually don;t see much lower rates until late Oct or Nov. If you see a decent price now I wouldn't wait.
May 3rd, 2007, 03:26 PM

Air France was having a pretty good sale but it was for Oct 29 through March. You may have better luck if you can change your timeframe to Oct/Nov.

I was looking to go in Oct as I made a deal with my husband to get the best deal possible. Turns out, I was able to get a flight from Sfo to CDG for $554 (including taxes,etc) for Aug. Unfortunately that was a sale in Feb. I wouldn't give up though, I would just keep watching the fares everyday for a couple months, something is bound to come up.
May 3rd, 2007, 03:55 PM

I know there will be "Fall Specials" - I've seen them in previous years

Unfortunately, in prvious years airlines weren't doing business as they are now: fewer empty seats in the first place, economizing like never before, etc., etc., so don't count on any "specials" because if you do you may be in for a big shock.

I would start looking right now and continue looking and sign up for any and all low fare "alerts" at sites like Expedia.

In the meanwhile do a month-long search for September at www.itasoftware.com and use that as a benchmark.

Also look at sidestep.com

onetravel.com

farechase.com

kayak.com

Travelocity, etc., until you are sick of it.

IMO that's all you can do and eventually you'll have to bite the bullet and the question is always the same: how soon will you give in?

Good luck.
May 3rd, 2007, 03:58 PM

i agree. fall specials typically start in oct...