Jost Van Dyke--worth it?

Mar 8th, 2006, 12:02 PM
Original Poster

Jost Van Dyke--worth it?

Hi everyone! We're headed to St. John for 5 dates (a Mon-Sat in April) and are wondering if it's worth it to do the day trip to Jost Van Dyke. My husband wants to go to the Soggy Dollar and Fox's...any feedback would be much appreciated!!
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:10 PM

Re: Soggy - Only go if you want to see one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, hang out in a hammock and drink the original pain killers... Some have referred to it as a bunch of noisy drunk people (obviously they weren't having as much fun). Others have referred to it as their favorite beach bar in the caribbean (me, for example.)

Re: Foxies - I think this is mostly an evening local -- frequented by the yachties who are able to stay for dinner and into the night.

If you plan to go -- check the ferry sched from STJ -- last I knew it was limited to certain days and left 8am ish and returned 3pm ish....
Mar 8th, 2006, 12:18 PM

FWIW, the most fun I've ever had on one single day in the Caribbean was on JVD... we rented ATV's and rode them all over the island (including a trip to Foxy's). Amazing views and a lot of fun....

Guess it just depends on if you want another day on SJ or wanna experience something different.
Mar 8th, 2006, 01:54 PM

Soggy Dollar is also one of my favorite beach bars - White Bay is stunning and JVD is definitely worth the day trip. My first two trips to JVD, I missed the last ferry and had to wing accomodations for the night - now I've learned just to stay there from the start! Foxy's is entertaining. There is more of a local presence (particularly in the local corner of the bar), but it's fun and you can say you've been there. Also stop at Ivan's Stress-Free Bar for a completely different, laid back vibe.
Mar 8th, 2006, 03:39 PM

Ahhhhh... I was just there last week and had another wonderful experience. The beach vibe in the afternoon is great. Always plan on a different Rum drink at each bar; Soggy Dollar, Olgas (great chesebuger and fries, One Love (fun Rasta magician behind the bar) and Ivan's (chill in the hammock). The snorkling by the rocks down the beach from Ivan's was different, thousands of small fish in the water. As others are saying Foxy's is more nocturnal. JVD always worth a day trip.
Mar 8th, 2006, 04:33 PM
Original Poster

This TOTALLy sounds like a place we'd absolutely love.... we're gonna do it!! Thanks so much everyone... nothing like taking in the sun with a cold drink in your bare feet...lazing in a hammock...ahhhhhh
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:02 PM

LittleSalty,
You have one problem with your dates. The ferry to Jost van Dyke leaves St John Fri, Sat, and Sunday at 8:30am and returns fro JVD at 3:00pm. (It also leaves from STT the same days). Check out vinow.com for all of the ferry schedules. You might also be able to get there by a daysail of some sort. There was a post by someone that booked Lion in Da Sun, but I really don't know much about that particular excursion. You can also look at bookitvi.com. That said, maybe you were not planning on taking the ferry in the first place? You might also want to look at New Horizons II which goes to four of the British Virgin Islands and gets rave reviews. We are doing New Horizons and also taking the ferry for the day. We will be there March 28th and the 31st. Definitely sounds like my kind of paradise!
Mar 8th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

We were thinking about heading to JVD on the Friday (our last full day) before we leave...otherwise, if we want to do it during the week, I figured we might get a charter.
Mar 8th, 2006, 06:03 PM

Little Salty, I'm putting my tail between my legs and saying "Duh", Friday is included in Monday through Saturday. I'm not a senior yet (MCK) but still seem to have those moments We would also have to go the day before we leave. At any rate, if you happen to find a good day trip there, would you please post? I'm still open to suggestions myself.

Search this Thread