Jewelry Safe to bring to JA?

Dec 15th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Original Poster

Jewelry Safe to bring to JA?

My wife and I will be in Jamaica for 2 weeks and was wondering if it would be safe to bring her jewelry (diamonds,etc.). We will be on our honeymoon and would do some formal dining, etc., however, want to err on side of safety, if needed. Also, we will be staying at Rio Vista (Port Antonio), High Hopes Estate (St. Ann's Bay) and Time N Place (Falmouth, Trelawny), pls advise if these hotels are safe to leave our valuables.
Dec 15th, 2004, 03:12 PM
P_M

I will speak in general terms and not just about Jamaica. I never take any valuable jewelry with me while traveling except for my rings which I do not remove. I assume you are asking if it's OK to leave jewelry in the hotel safe and not just in the room. Well, I'm not too sure. Hotels claim they do not have keys and cannot get into safe boxes, but how do you know this is true? We have had a few discussions about this in the Europe board and opinions on the safety of a hotel safe are divided. Personally I would not just take anyone's word for it when they say they don't have a key, but the decision is yours. Another personal observation--If it were me, I would not feel a need to bring my diamonds and risk losing them, just to impress people I will never see again. Not worth it for me, but once again, it's all up to you and your wife.

Congratulations, and have a great honeymoon.
Dec 15th, 2004, 03:45 PM

I don't travel anywhere with serious jewelry.

...and none of the places in Jamaica you mention (well I don't know high Hope) are particularly fancy, you will not be expected to wear diamonds at dinner...or even shoes
Dec 15th, 2004, 03:49 PM

I have traveled all over the Caribbean for many years, and always wore my jewelry. I am very fortunate to have a wonderful generous husband, and over the years, he has given me some lovely pieces, which I treasure and get much enjoyment from wearing. I never felt as though someone were eyeing it all and planning something dastardly.

HOWEVER, we went to Jamaica for the first time in August for two weeks, and for the only time ever, I did not wear any of my fine jewelry except for a Tiffany ring set with 3 small diamonds.

I knew we would be doing a lot of active sports and traveling, and I do not leave ANY valuables in hotel safes.

I also did not want to appear to be flaunting wealth in a poor country. (Yes, I know much of the Caribbean is poor, and I know how much people do or do not make, and I do try to be thoughtful of others.)

People do not always wear nice jewelry so that others will be impressed, and it is a personal decision whether or not to choose to wear it.

Not wearing any for me was kind of freeing as I am used to keeping an eye on rings when in the water, and to make sure my watch stem is fully tightened down before going in the pool or ocean.

Bottom line - if in doubt, leave it at home.
Dec 15th, 2004, 11:43 PM

Fine jewelry would be very much out of place at all the places (good ones) you're staying at. Bring costume jewelry at most,
Dec 16th, 2004, 12:31 AM

If you have to think or worry about it, leave it home. If you are walking someplace where she feels unsafe with stone in engagement ring, turn band so stone inside. I assumed you were talking about street crime and in-room safes. The worst thing you can do is get into a take-it-off, put-it-on pattern - THAT is how jewelery gets lost - more common than it getting stolen. I don't think you want to spend your honeymoon worrying about jewelery, so if concerned, leave it home.
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:26 AM

Travelling to Jamaica, or any other places actually, I don't usually bring items that I can't afford to lose. Having said that, I always leave my diamonds at home I bring my cheap mall jewelries.
Dec 16th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Agree with those who say that it's not a good idea to travel with expensive jewelry anywhere, not just Jamaica. I bring simple, elegant, inexpensive pieces to wear. I do always wear my wedding and engagement rings, but I never take those off.
Dec 16th, 2004, 04:20 PM

I couldn't agree more with the above posters, leave expensive jewelry at home.
Dec 17th, 2004, 05:22 AM

When we travel I wear a gold necklace and bracelet and my wedding band (has small diamonds), but if I feel it's an area that I should not "flaunt" I can turn the ring around. Also, I keep my chain in a black film container. The chains are not wide and fit into the black container very well. On a cruise ship I may take a favorite pin and we do use the room safe.
Dec 18th, 2004, 06:31 PM
wfc

Depends on the hotel. Make sure the room has a safe. We just got back from The Ritz Carlton in Rose Hall and our room had a safe.
Dec 18th, 2004, 06:41 PM

No expert here, I'm widowed but my lady friends say their rings get a real good cleaning in the surf lol
Though never travel with expensive jewelry they would have to leave in a safe. Good advice.
Dec 18th, 2004, 11:09 PM

My Tag never leaves me wrist, nor does my gold Cruzan Hook bracelet. My wife has no problem wearing the various gems we have purchased for her in the past....any place we have traveled in the Caribbean...Jamaica included. Common sense is obviously recommended anywhere you travel in the world.
Dec 19th, 2004, 04:43 AM

I took my costume jewelry to Jamaica, although I did wear my rings. Jamaica is not the safest island, but I don't take good jewelry anywhere on vacation. Besides, so many places are so casual that it would be like bowling at home and wearing good jewelry.