Reload this Page >

Safe to wear jewelry?

Search

Safe to wear jewelry?

Search this Thread

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:21 PM
karen

Safe to wear jewelry?

Is it safe to wear my 2ct. diamond engagement ring or shall I leave it at home?...thanks.

Old May 7th, 2002, 01:29 PM
Jessica

ummmmmmm, I really would leave it at home. It seems like a no-brainer.<BR>Why take a chance? Is it safe where? That is a very general statement.<BR>If you want people to know you are other wise engaged,buy a fake - $30.<BR>Leave it at home.<BR>I leave all my good jewelry at home, who am I trying to impress?<BR>

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:32 PM
Robyn France

Leave it home. I always do--have a 3 1/2 carat engagement ring I wear at home, but which I never wear on European trips. It is a sign saying "pick me" to all the people you seek to avoid. A few simple pieces of jewelry makes your life carefree--no one can steal from you what you don'thave.

Old May 7th, 2002, 04:48 PM
Fluffy&Biff

hehehe I think the dodo should wear it......would serve you right if you got robbed!

Old May 7th, 2002, 06:00 PM
x

Mine wedding band is 3 carats and I have never taken it off and have never had a problem.

Old May 8th, 2002, 03:12 AM
xxx

As long as they are not the crown jewels it´s OK.

Old May 8th, 2002, 04:42 AM
Joycel

If you will be wearing the piece of jewelry everyday, take it on your trip. Do not take it if you plan to ever leave it in your hotel room during the day, instead of wearing it.<BR> <BR>Also pack a small box to hold the jewelry at night. Small pieces of jewelry are very easy to misplace. <BR><BR>Jewelry can be stolen from anywhere, including from your home. If you have a very expensive piece of jewelry, you may want to consider leaving it in a bank safe while you travel.<BR><BR>

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:16 AM
travel

Check with your travel agent to see if your insurance covers it abroad. Mind you if it's really that size most people will assume it's a zircon.

Old May 8th, 2002, 06:22 AM
stuff

People will assume a 2 ct ring is cz? Only tacky, low class people I guess. My god, what do you consider appropriate? A chip? Give the woman a break. Wear it, be proud, and don't let these jealous ninnies keep you from having a great trip.

Old May 8th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Diana

My engagement ring is a modest 1.2 ct. But I love it and wear it every day. By the time of my honeymoon in September I will be married (obviously)and will probably just wear my wedding band to be safe. We got engaged in France last year and it never occured to me to worry about my ring. But since you guys brought it up...

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:03 AM
Lori

Yes - wear you ring. You wear it home don't you? I cannot believe people will assume they will be robbed in Europe but not in the US or wherever they live. I have a 2 ct diamond engagement ring myself and a wedding band that matches and I wear them everyplace .. at home, and abroad. <BR><BR>Do you honestly think that the people who live in London, Paris, etc. take their jewelry off before leaving the house??? No .. they wear rings, etc. just like everyone else.<BR><BR>FOr those who leave things home, why? You wear them at home .. to the mall, to work, to the kids activities/whatever. You can be robbed anytime, anyplace. Just use common sense. <BR><BR>Enjoy your ring .. wear it.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:21 AM
irene

Spent a year living in London recently and always wore my engagement ring. I have found that in Europe engagement rings are typically smaller in size than in the States. So for the most part if people noticed it I felt like they were admiring it, not sizing me up to figure out how to steal it. As long as your ring is insured you should be fine.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:30 AM
Cat

Karen:<BR>I never leave the house without my rings. I agree with those here who say to wear it and wear it proudly!

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Susan

I don't necessarily think that I'm more likely to be robbed when I'm away from home, but I wouldn't want to remember my vacation as 'the trip where I lost my .......' When I'm at home, I keep my earrings in a box which sits in a drawer of my dresser. I make a habit of doing that now after almost losing an earring - I didn't put it in the box, I just put it on the dresser and I think it fell into a waste paper basket (or was pushed off the dresser by one of my cats). It ended up in the trash can outside. Believe me, I didn't like going through the garbage, but I found it! If this had happened on a trip, I would have been out of luck. The earrings aren't especially valuable, but they have great sentimental value. I have jewellery that I use on vacation (whether it's in Canada or overseas) and jewellery I wear at home.

Old May 8th, 2002, 08:48 AM
Whybother?

If you're asking the question, it will probably concern you during the trip no matter what advice you get here. Why not leave it at home and then you don't have to worry at all?

Old May 8th, 2002, 09:20 AM
Nancy

I think it depends on where you are going and what your plans are. I don't wear jewelry on hikes and camping trips. Otherwise, doesn't matter if I am in my hometown or in Europe. Usually you have the same chance of being mugged.