Search

Take jewelry???

Search this Thread

Old May 27th, 2005, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Take jewelry???

Using the train to travel from Stockholm, with overnight stops in Copenhagen, Bremen, Cologne, Brussels, should I wear my expensive jewelry or leave it home in safety deposit box? (specifically, 2.5 ct diamond solitare ring.)
Old May 27th, 2005, 05:53 AM
ira

>...should I wear my expensive jewelry or leave it home in safety deposit box?<

If you normally keep it in a safe deposit box, why are you taking it out now?
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:01 AM

Don't take/wear anything that you'd have your heart broken over losing, or can't easily replace.

Old May 27th, 2005, 06:03 AM

Are we talking about your engagement ring? If so, of course wear it - just never take it off in a public place - just like at home. No one is going to chop off your finger!

On the other hand - unless you're going to be entertained by Marie Antoinette - there's no need to pull any jewelry out of a safety deposit box.
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:04 AM

I took a pouch of jewelry (not expensive just ready for any occasion); wound up buying one necklace in Ireland from the designer, wore it the whole time (3 weeks total traveling) and never took anything out of the pouch. I wear the rings, I usually wear and anything special I leave at home.
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:07 AM

I left my jewelry home on one trip and missed it, since I am accustomed to wearing it. Brought it the next trip and was much happier. If you are used to wearing your good jewelry, don't change your habits just because you're going to Europe. (My opinion only!)
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:39 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I would suggest to wear what you wear every day at home. I agree as above, if it is your engagement ring, certainly I would continue to wear it. If it is "extra" and like the pouch of jewelry mentioned, then I'd leave it at home.
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:41 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
My concern is about something you would be heartbroken if you lost. I seriously doubt a ring will be stolen from your finger, but moving about so much, strange hotels and bathrooms, etc. it is more likely while traveling then at home that you might misplace it, drop it down the sink (whatever) than have it stolen from you.
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:45 AM

Personally, when I travel in Europe, I change out to really nice silver jewelry ( ie. David Yurman etc) and leave the good stuff at home...

I , personally, get paranoid if I am in an unsure area wearing my engagement ring--even tho I wear it at home and on cruises..but walking around in major cities in Europe, I don't want someone to follow me and rob me..

Call me nuts, but that's just what I do..
Old May 27th, 2005, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

I do wear my ring all daily, it's never been in safety deposit box. It was given to me by my husband after 30 yrs of marriage, so of course it's special, but I wear it. I want to wear it, but I've just read not to take expensive jewelry.
Just wanted advice and I knew I'd get it here.
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:21 AM

Here's a horror story.

My Grandmother took all her valuable jewerly on a trip once. Was it stolen? No, she apparently dropped it out of her bag someplace in the airport. It was gone!

I only take costume. The real stuff stays home, but then I don't see a big need to impress folks anyplace with this.
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Leave it at home!!!
Even the Hollywood stars confess that they wear faux diamonds and gold when travelling. Surely you could find a faux diamond ring that large at Penney's, etc. But I wouldn't even tempt anyone with a fake.
I never wear/take/carry anything I would not feel terrible about losing. It makes for a more relaxing trip. You will see gypsys/pickpockets, etc. in your travels, and then there are those who aren't so obvious... I have never had anything taken but know many who have.
Put just enough money in your pocket for the day's gelato and tips/postcards. Otherwise wear the little pouch (Wal-mart sells then in the suitcase area) under your waistband, or around your neck for your passport/credit cards, etc.(Under your clothing - you won't believe the number of people we saw with them hanging out like a necklace...duh) I carry a big, old purse for camera water bottle, brochures, travel book, etc. or small backpack when touring and pack a small, nice looking but cheap evening bag for dinner, etc.
Relax, absorb as much as you can and enjoy. Take nothing expensive or precious.
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:37 AM

That is a horror story, CarolA! And, like suze, I worry more about leaving my jewelry somewhere than I do about having it stolen. So I've started not taking any on a trip, except for wearing some silver jewelry that will go with any of my clothes. Saves a lot of anxiety!
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:41 AM

Just make sure that you are insured to travel with it. As for sentimental value, obviously that is an individual thing.

Recently I lost a watch while abroad walking along a beach, reported it to the local police (you must always report any loss/theft) and the insurance covers the loss.
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:43 AM

We have been travelling for years and I never take good jewellery...maybe a gold chain or bracelet that I wear even in the shower...that's it. Personally, I don't think it's wise to draw attention to yourself (or myself!) with diamonds. Anyway...nobody knows you. (I feel that way, even on a cruise.). It's a vacation so why take along anything that may cause worry?
Old May 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM

I meant to say that I never take/wear/carry anything I would hate to lose - sentimental or dollar wise. { (I used a double negative the first time and that meant just the opposite, sorry.)
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:06 AM

"Easily replaced" is the operative word for me. A pair of pearl studs or gold hoop earrings might be a bit expensive to replace, but they are easy to find. A unique or antique piece would be a heartbreaker to lose.
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:09 AM

LOL David Yurman IS good jewelry!

dovima, that is so true. I have so many pieces that are priceless in their sentimental value. Those I never travel with.

I wear my "good" wedding ring and watch that I wear every day wherever I go, a bracelet that the Yankee bought recently that goes with Everything and I take a few different earrings to change over to. I find that when I bring necklaces or extra bracelets, I don't think to change.
Old May 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM

I would wear the ring, if you normally wear it. The problem (I find) when wearing something unfamiliar, especially with a bigger stone, is that you're not as careful, don't remember you have it on, and it might get knocked about. But if you are used to it, wear it!

I usually take one pair of good, all-purpose gold earrings, a watch, three bracelets (two for one arm, one for the watch arm) and one heavy flat gold chain. They can go from day to evening very easily, unless you have a really dressy event to attend. In that case I might bring paste earrings for that occasion, as you would not be wearing them daily and they'd be at risk for theft in your bag if you carried them everywhere.
Old May 27th, 2005, 11:30 AM

I couldn't live without my tiara. I need something to hold back my hair.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -