Jamica Honeymoon in August 2008

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2008, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So we have decided to go to Couples Negril for our honeymoon..I have read many reviews on tripadvisor, but i am hoping to get some more specifics on the resort. We are looking for a simple mix between adventure and relaxation. Does anyone have any advice for me? Specifics about the resort? Certain things we should do? Is Rick's Cafe worth it? Did the CO part become annoying? Are the bugs really as bad as people have said?
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:49 AM

Can't comment on Couples Negril specifically, but I stayed at Idle Awhile which is supposedly the smaller boutique non-AI version of Couples. We heard from fellow guests that the rooms are very similar. We loved the rooms and the general vibe. Couples is quite a bit further down the beach from Idle Awhile so I also can't comment on that part of the beach. We absolutely loved our location at Idle Awhile. Right in the center of everything, but with a nice small private hotel.

RE: the bugs. I didn't find them bothersome at all during the day while on the beach and in the water, but they seemed to bite A LOT at night. We bought bug spray when we got there, but still got eaten alive. It was even worse when we stayed up The Caves(again mostly at night). But The Caves had some Aveda brand bug spray that not only smelled really good, but seemed to be more effective than the regular stuff.

We never made it to Ricks, but we did stay on the cliffs for three nights and it is really really cool up there. We could see and hear Ricks each night and it always looked like a fun party. If you're not planning on splitting your time between beach and cliffs (which I HIGHLY recommend) then I think you should definitely venture out to Ricks. We're definitely plan on going there for our next trip to Negril.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 09:54 AM

Oh and I'm not sure what you mean by CO part....
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 01:06 PM

I have stayed several times at Couples Swept Away and very much enjoyed the resort. Great beach, wonderful fitness options, tennis courts, water sports, nice rooms and good food all on a beautiful beach.

Ricks is a tourist trap IMO. Far nicer is the bar at Rockhouse for a cocktail at sunset if you want to leave the resort and check out the cliffs.

I have stayed at several CO resorts. It is easy to avoid if it makes you uncomfortable. I never had a problem with it. Now Hedonism where it is in your face in another issue but a couples resort that is high end offers a different CO experience at least it did for me.
Old Jan 25th, 2008, 01:59 PM

Oooooo, I'm guessing CO means clothing optional...which really makes the bug question even more pertinent