Jamaica Weather in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all...I just booked for January of 2011 in Negril. It's my husband's 60th and we booked at Idle Awhile. We have been there before and we both really loved it. I was just concerned about the weather during January. Has anyone been during that time? We are booked from January 6th through the 12th. Some of the islands are a little risky during that time in terms of not being all the warm. I'm hoping it was a good choice.

Thanks very much.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 10:44 AM

We've visited Negril many times in early to mid January, and come to the not so startling conclusion that later in the season- February, March, April- there's typically better weather. While it's never been cold, we've had many vacations around Christmas and early to mid January marred by unusual amounts of rain and clouds. This has also been true for us in Puerto Rico, and St. John, so I'm beginning to wonder if that time of year, between the end of the fall season and the beginning of the winter season is prone to worse weather.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 01:28 PM
Original Poster

Oh boy...I'm sorry to hear that. I hope and pray that we are more fortunate as we really do want to be away for this birthday celebration. Maybe we will be lucky! Thanks very much for your input.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 01:40 PM

I really hope that you will be lucky, and that you have a wonderful time. Maybe we've just hit a string of wacky weather in the years we've gone?
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 02:34 PM

check negril.com for links on the weather in jan. it's a very good site for other info also. it has a very informative message board with a bunch of good humored people.
congratulations on picking a very nice hotel on a great location on the beach. we took a look at the property in sept while staying next door at coco lapalm. we are going there in april, but could only get it for 5 nts so we booked 4 nts at tensing pen on the cliffs.
you'll need a ride from mbj to negril, clives transportation is a good one. $40 r/t pp, look at his website for more info.
you can have him stop at a cambio on the way to change your money to $ja, this will save you some.
there's many good places to eat within walikng distance- charela, sun beach, the palms and many others on the cliffs that will pick you up. good luck, you'll have a great time there!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 03:15 PM

I don't mean to dwell on this too much longer, but few of the weather reports we've ever checked have been all that accurate. On the other hand, if we have a winter like this one again, you'll be so glad to be out of the COLD back home, that you may not care all that much!!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 05:21 PM

hey mik....i just realized my 60th is 1/14/11, maybe we'll see ya there!
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Too cold for us! Late March is the earliest we will go otherwise we simply cannot get in the ocean.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 06:45 AM

Have a great time at Idle Awhile - it's lovely!

For a nice dinner check out Pushcart on the cliffs. We also love cocktails and dinner at RockHouse.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 05:41 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all so much for the feedback...I have a friend who goes every January and she has pretty good luck so I hope we do too. Worse case we will just "chill" but hopefully in a good way. pwj...maybe we will see you there and thanks for the tip on clives...how long is the ride to Idle Ahwile from the airport and has the aiport situation gotten any better? We were there a few years ago and it took us forever to get out of the airport in Montego Bay...very disorganized. I get that it is a different pace, but this was really different! Thanks again.
Old Jan 19th, 2010, 08:59 AM

The ride to the airport is typically about an hour and a half. Yes, the airport lines are still running slow, but not as bad as last year or year before. Another restaurant recommendation in The West End for simple but wonderful food: CHICKEN LAVISH. One of our favorites! Outstanding fried chicken, conch soup, sour sop juice. YUM!
Old Jan 28th, 2010, 10:15 AM

we just returned fron Negril last Sun and have gone in Jan for the past 4 years - weather always beautiful although this year a little more rain but was there when the weather in the US was very cold and also the same week as the earth quake in Haiti - just beware of sand fleas and misquitos as we really got bit up - take repellant and watch after the sun goes down as you don't even feel them bite until the next day - great place and we are in our late 50's - have stayed at Sandals, Sunst at the Palms and Riu
Old Feb 5th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks leaper...that sounds great...and thanks again all for the great food tips as well!