Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is the Puerto Aventuras (Riviera Maya) limited in activities?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I (26) are planning our first trip together (delayed honeymoon) and are looking at the Puerto Aventuras Beach resort in the Mayan Riviera. I've heard good things, but get the feeling that some find it boring and limited in activities. We want a relaxing trip, but would like to enjoy some nightlife, crystal clear waters and snorkeling.
Any advice?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 08:34 AM

You may also want to look into the Royal Hideaway resort. Its smaller then the other AIs but the grounds are beautiful. NOt much of a nighlife sort of place, but you can always go to the nearby town of Playa Del Carmen. They have wonderful service, food and the beach is just beautiful. You can also take a ferry across to the island of Cozumel to do some snorkeling. We didn't have time for that, but we did manage to take a full day tour to the ruins of Chichen Itza. I would recommend to do that as well and also look into the ruins of Coba - when we return we definitely want to try that one! Good luck - Susan
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 10:38 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!
Are there any nice resorts in Playa de Carmen anyone could recommend?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:19 AM

Actually all of the AIs are near (5 mi.) from Playa Del Carmen. The hotel "zone" is considered Playacar. So the Royal Hideaway is considered in Playa Del Carmen. Sorry for the confusion! This resort constantly gets very high reviews. I would definitely return to this resort.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Are there a lot of bars and restaurants near the hotel zone around Playa de Carmen?
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:02 PM

You can go to http://www.playadelcarmen.com/ to get more info on Playa Del Carmen. When we were there we weren't really into going out besides having nightcap at the martini bar at Royal Hideaway. I think that there are a number of bars and restaurants in town. Also check out this website: http://www.playaguide.com
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the info!
When you were there did you happen to pass by or get to see the Puerto Aventuras Beach Resort? I guess there is a marina near it.
Old Apr 8th, 2004, 12:20 PM

I think that resort is further down from the Royal Hideaway so I can't comment on it. But if you decided to go to Playa Del Carmen, I'm sure you will love it. Beautiful endless beaches. Another more intimate resort about 10 miles north of Playa is called Maroma Beach. This resort was rated as one of the best beaches from the Travel Channel a year or two ago. But this resort may be "too quiet" if you would want more nightlife. ITs an excellent vacation destination because you get a price break by going to Mexico and yet you have the beautiful caribbean water at your doorstep. I think that you and hour husband will really enjoy your delayed honeymoon there. (WE went for our 1 year anniversary and I wish we went there instead of a Sandals resort I picked - but thats an entirely different story!)