Playa del Carmen

Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Playa del Carmen

I think we have narrowed our vacation down to Punta Cana and Mexico. I am thinking Playa Del Carmen or south of Playa. I have two kids (13 and 9) going with us. We don't just like to sit on the beach and I hear Punta can be boring. Does anyone have a great all-inclusive resort they could recommened in Playa or south of? I am about to lose my mind trying to figure it out. I tried a travel agent but I think she knows about as little as I do. I don't care about major kid programs but I would like a nice resort on the beach with good service and food. I was thinking the Tucan or Lindo. Any help could be a life saver for me because I might just go crazy on my own. P.S. I only have a coulple of choices when to go. I have Sept.9-29 (would get insurance) or March 3-25 (spring breakers?) Please let me know what the lesser of two evils would be.
Old May 2nd, 2006, 01:53 PM

Iberostar is a good choice. We stayed at the Ib Toucan a while back and we really enjoyed it. The food was good and the place was well run. It is also close proximity to PDC so you can go into town at night and walk around or take the ferry to cozumel for a day trip.

I haven't stayed at the Lindo, but, again, I don't think you can go wrong with Iberostar.

I don't have children, so my top recommendation would be Secrets Capri.

Peace, Greenie
Old May 2nd, 2006, 02:10 PM

Both the Lindo and Tucan are great. Tucan is closer to Playa del Carmen, but the Lindo has a free bus running there most of the day.
The Lindo is a bit more upscale than the Tucan (but all the IB resorts are great). Lindo allows you to have more reservations at ala carte restaurant reservations and all the restaurants are air coditioned (with the exception of the buffet by the pool). The Lindo is right there with the Maya and Del Mar and Beach and you can use all their bars and restaurants. We stayed at the IB Del Mar (part of the Paraiso complex with the Lindo) and LOVED it.
There are LOTS of activities for kids all day long.
Old May 8th, 2006, 11:49 AM

Are the beaches beautiful in this area, Playa Del Carmen? Is the sea calm? Where are the calmest waters? I just got back from Punta Cana and I loved it, except I had hoped for calmer, clearer seas.
Fouranduea - Punta Cana is VERY quiet....we loved it because we wanted a week of being "slugs" haha but there really is nothing to do and you DO NOT want to go out of the resorts unless on a tour. Kathy
Old May 8th, 2006, 06:04 PM

I am also looking into Playa Del Carmen and am interested in the hotels mentioned above. This might be what we are looking for for our last minute trip...(see Booking on Tuesday)...yikes that's tomorrow!!!!
Can anyone tell me how far this is from the airport? I have flown into Cancun then it was a 10 minute drive to the hotel...how do I get to Playa Del Carmen? Sorry to sound stupid.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:11 AM

We stayed at the Iberostar Paraiso Del Mar. It's at the same complex as the IB Beach, Maya, and Lindo. We LOVED it. The IB Tucan is closer to Playa del Carmen and has calmer water. We loved the waves at the IB Paraiso, but it is not what I'd call "calm". The pools at famtastic at the Paraiso complex. They are about 20 minutes from Playa del Carmen and run a free buss througout the day.
Toppy,
We used a private service for transportation. Go to www.cancunvalet.com to check it out. The IB Paraiso is about 30 minutes from the Cancun airport. The IB Tucan would be about 45 minutes.
Old May 9th, 2006, 03:59 AM

Thanks for the information everyone....and the private travel info from the hotel. This is definitely in the running. We will be choosing and booking something today. Since we just want to be beach bums for the week with our books and drinks, we really are not terribly fussy about where we go so long as we can get there quickly. We would actually be happy anywhere so even if we choose to go back to Aruba, that will be fine.Playa Del Carmen sounds nice, and a different spot for us. Antigua Sandals is an old favorite as is St. Lucia, but I am amazed at the bargains available elsewhere. So the decision is whether to venture somewhere new, or go to Sandals where we know we can be spoiled. When heading to the Caribbean, my motto is, it's all good!
Thanks again everyone.
Old May 9th, 2006, 07:54 PM

Have stayed twice at the Palladium: Colonial and Kentuck...forget the spelling. And, we will be returning in June because we LOVED IT. First, I went with a friend, then my husband and I returned for our honeymoon, and now we are taking my step-sons to experience what we think is the Best. Playa del Carmen is only about 15 minutes North. We have been there twice for a day of shopping and just looking around. The beaches seem to be very nice there!
Two years ago my husband and I returned to the area and stayed at the Sunscape to save a bit of money. Ha. The Worst experience with a hotel ever! From our hallway window we could see the Palladium and wished we had payed just a bit more and gone there!!! Stay away from the Sunscape. Apple rates it as a five red apple...it is more like a three if that!
The Palladium: Colonial and Kent...? is a five Golden and It Is.
Because it was a good experience, we took my step sons to Punta Cana to the Palladium in PC. It was very nice. It is a five red apple, and rated appropriately. Yes, it wasn't like Mexico. There is always a ton to do in MX, but we enjoyed our stay and found our own fun. The boys felt it was the best vacation they ever had! At the time they were 16 and 21. I'd trust a Palladium, anywhere.
After Sunscape, I wonder about Apple Vacations!!
Old May 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who responded! I think we definitley do IB and now we have to figure out when
Old May 11th, 2006, 02:57 AM

fourmadeau,
Here is a GREAT site for info on all Iberostar Resorts:
http://www.iberostar-board.com/boards/index.php
Old May 11th, 2006, 12:27 PM

This is a good unofficial Palladium website - with links to others:
http://home.comcast.net/~palladiumin...ome.html-.html

We were at the Palladium about 6 months after it opened and stayed on the Kantenah side - very nice resort
Old May 11th, 2006, 05:14 PM

Look at the deals at El Cid Riviera Maya.
Brand new hotel - All-Inclusive, they talk about family friendly.
Tripadvisor.com has some info to read.

we just booked an opening special with air for 7 nights for $2020 US through bookit.com.

Good luck and have fun.