Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Is Little Dix as awful as Trip Advisor suggests?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26th, 2005, 03:54 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was astonished at the horrible reports-- in great, convincing detail-- on Trip Advisor. Not every single report was poor, but enough were so that I'm seriously re-thinking our plans. I'm hoping to get as much feedback as possible so that I can act sensibly. Obviously, these things are subjective, depend very much on a person's standards, past experience, etc. In short, any specific feedback much appreciated.
Thanks!
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 04:39 PM

I haven't been to Little Dix lately, but the property is very beautiful. They have added a spa since I was there. The rooms were not luxurious like a luxury hotel, but I thought they were very nice. I thought it seemed nicer than Caneel which I have stayed at 3 times and loved. I decided not to choose it because I read reports that the food isn't good and it is rather difficult to get to. I do like the bungalow style there. While I have decided not to go there, it was on my short list. Hopes this helps.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 05:08 PM

Little Dix is a wonderful property. I am not sure what specifically was said, as I have not read those reviews. They have a great spa now and we have always enjoyed dining there when in Virgin Gorda. It is a beautiful property. One of my good friends just returned from her honeymoon, she stayed in a cottage and wanted to switch to Little Dix after spending a full day on the property. Unfortunately they were not able to accommodate them. She was really hoping that they could have.

It is a hard decision especially after reading negative things. I would go with your gut about it.

GL
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:49 PM

I don't think Little Dix should get bad reviews; it's a very nice place. However, if you're considering it, look into Caneel Bay on St. John. Rooms are comparable. Where Little Dix has all the rooms just behind one beach, and grounds behind nothing special, Caneel's rooms are scattered around the 170 acres with gorgeous views and seven!!! tree-shaded white sand beaches with wade-in snorkeling. A true beach lovers' paradise.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for answers so far (I'm hoping to get more). We've stayed at Caneel 4 times and absolutely loved it. Thought the food at Caneel was mediocre at best, and the rooms rather small (for the price). But thought the grounds were absolutely gorgeous; especially loved the spread-out feel, the gentle "rolling," etc. Thought the beaches were terrific and the snorkeling first-rate.
Main thing I'm concerned abt at Little Dix (in addition to the awful details on Trip Advisor) is that the grounds won't hold a candle to the grounds at Caneel. (The layout seems boring.) And of course the snorkeling there is practically nil. If we were interested in spa or swimming pool, LD would no doubt have more appeal. But our main pleasures are gorgeous-- and varied-- grounds and good snorkeling. It's just that we've been to Caneel so many times and thought it'd be fun to try Virgin Gorda-- but those reports really gave me pause.
Thanks again for responding. (WTexan: Do you remember why you thought LD seemed nicer than Caneel?)
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:03 AM

I would say the positive reviews are more numerous than the negative reviews. And I think the negative reviews center around culture shock. However, since you seem to be very nervous about this, I would suggest you pass this up and consider Biras Creek for the beauty, cuisine and water activities. Please remember that service in the BVI is low key and not effusive.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 02:58 PM

The regular rooms were nicer at Little Dix, the grounds more manicured, and I thought the beach more beautiful. However, there is just one beach and I don't think there is any snorkeling there. The baths are interesting, but very crowded. I wouldn't want to snorkel there. Why don't you do the island hopper and just spend 3 days at Little Dix to see if you like it. If you really want to snorkel every day, you should probably stay at Caneel and take the day trip Caneel offers to Little Dix to check it out. Have a great trip! WT
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:35 AM

Virgin Gorda is beautiful. I never understood the appeal of just hanging out in one resort anyway. There is plenty of excellent snorkeling all around the island, especially at the Baths. Although it may be a bit more crowded in the afternoons, I would just go there in the morning or late afternoons when all the tour boat people are not there. Also, you could take day trips to Guana Island for great snorkeling. I am curious, what are the big complaints about Little Dix anyway?
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 10:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all in-put.
Tuxedocat: negatives abt Little Dix were numerous. Tripadvisor.com is a good, detailed site. Of course, all of these things are subjective-- but I tend to "believe" negative reports (if they are quite specific) more than positive (same for movies, etc). As for Guana Island-- that kind of thing must add enormously to the cost of a vacation. (How far is it?) I loved the several times we bareboated in those waters-- loved being able to snorkel in different spots every day. But that was many decades ago, when things were very much less crowded (and less expensive).
WTexan: We're more or less committed to Virgin Gorda (have flights,etc)and I was very much hoping that we could get over to Caneel for part of the time-- even for a day. Curiously, there seems to be the ferry service from Caneel to LD, but not the other way around.
Sandyjoy: I remember thinking the Biras Creek grounds were wonderful when we did some hiking there many years ago. I think, though, that we'd miss having a good beach. Also, while many folks love the sound of waves at night, we don't. My impression is that the accommodations at Biras all pretty much hear the surf.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 10:43 AM
Original Poster

Tuxedocat: I got interested in your idea of taking a day trip to Guana Island. Is that easy to do-- or rather cumbersome? Have any idea what it'd cost? How would one go about it? Thanks!
Old Oct 31st, 2005, 10:56 AM

Just returned sat from little Dix Bay. Nothing was horrible. The rooms are gorgeous- we had a beachfront cottage(rm 28) which i highly recommend. I agree there is no comparison of the grounds to Caneel but they(Caneel) are so much larger than LDB. A lot of construction going on at LDB now and probably for a while to come. This was disturbing but we knew about it ahead of time so that helped. I posted a trip report I think under the subject of BVI but I can't find it now. I will keep looking and try to change the subject. Any questions email me at [email protected]. I'd be glad to help- if you haven't left already!
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 12:22 PM

You can't really take "day trips" to Guana Island. It is a private island and day visitors are discouraged. You can take snorkelling trips that go near Guana Island, but that's it.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:34 AM

Sandyjoy, thanks for clarification on Guana Island. Yes, I was thinking of those snorkel trips that go to Guana Island reefs, not to Guana itself.
Old Nov 3rd, 2005, 01:43 AM

Poss, I don't remember specific info. on the Guana trips, but these operators usually include one snorkel spot or exclude another due to water conditions. These trips are pretty easy to arrange and if you are staying at one of the resorts, the concierge is usually happy to help you arrange this. The BVI's are all pretty close to each other and most operators do full or half day snorkel trips which will usually go to two or three places. New Horizons II is the only one I can think of that takes people out to Guana sometimes. (And they operate out of St. Thomas, so I'm not sure if they have a branch in the BVI's) Guana is only one of the many places tour operators take folks out to. These trips usually cost around $125. per person which seem a bit pricey, but I have always found doing 1 or 2 on a trip has been really worthwhile.