Honeymoon Help! Caneel/Jumby/LDB/Biras

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 18th, 2006, 05:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are trying to pick the perfect spot for our honeymoon in October! We're looking for beautiful private beaches with white sands, nice rooms, and good food. We would prefer somewhere without a lot of children. We have been looking into Caneel Bay, LDB, Jumby Bay and Biras Creek. Any opinion on which would be the best choice for our honeymoon?!
Old May 19th, 2006, 07:44 AM

I have only been to Caneel, but I can say that it was an absolutely amazing experience! 7 gorgeous, secluded beaches; very quiet resort and 4 restaurants (the Equator was fabulous!). I cannot wait to go back!!
Old May 19th, 2006, 01:37 PM

Nothing compares to Caneel for the georgeous/private beach scene. Paradise on earth! Caneel's 171 rooms are scattered about 170 acres and 7 tree-shaded white sand beaches, all with wade-in snorkeling. No beach has more than 24 rooms on it.
Caneel is in the National Park, so there is no development to be seen from anywhere on the grounds, which are so extensive, you can nearly get lost. Your views are of water, other islands, sky, gently rolling landscape.
Old May 19th, 2006, 04:23 PM

Oh, I beg to differ! Caneel is wonderful, and I have stayed there in Cottage 7 quite a few times, also Scott Beach --but the dining is not what I want, the pavillion is too large, more like a cruise ship, and the beach terrace can be so slow, and very busy. I love my breakfasts at Turtle Bay, never had a great meal at The Equator---but Cruz Bay is a short ride away for more interesting dining---
I love the snorkeling, the donkeys,
the walking paths, and the beaches. Yes,
Caneel can be special.

LDB is lovely, more intimate than Caneel, and dining on the sand at Sugar Mill is special. Its one long lovely beach with lots of day trips--Anegada,
and their beach bar-b-que. Yet I enjoy
Caneel--but I have not been to LDB since
they opened their spa. I have combined LDB and Caneel. My choice was Caneel,
as I had more dining options in Cruz Bay.

Jumby is special,not the fantastic snorkeling like Caneel, or the roaming donkeys---but its great food, more like a personal county club. Love the all up
market all inclusive--not boring at
all.

Each one is special, it really depends on your personal taste, and expectations.

You really cannot go wrong with any of your choices. I have not been to Biras,
but it sounds lovely.

Perfect--well what is perfect to me
might not be perfect to you. Sun,sand, great food, relaxation---I think they all might have it. Only you can
make a choice that can be perfect for you.
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Penny- thanks so much for your helpful and prompt response! I think we are narrowing it down between Jumby and Caneel. How would you rate the beach, accommodations, food at each? Also, we have read some reviews about issues with the A/C at Jumby, which is a concern! Also, since we'll be honeymooning at the end of October- should we be concerned with rainy weather and potential hurricanes?!
Old May 21st, 2006, 05:02 AM

Jumby and Caneel are wonderful choices. I hope you have done a search on this forum as you can read some fine reports and information on both.

As far as a/c, I have stayed at both when they did not have it. I must say Caneel did a better job-both have similar type units. I only use it at night.

I am not a fan of dining at hotels,
but Jumby has won me over. I find the food very good, nice variety and great service. Much more intimate than Caneel. Its not open to the public.

When we stay at Caneel, we dine for the most part in Cruz Bay. I have to add my
criteria has always been get out of the hotel to try enjoy all the different
restaurants. Its been quite a few years
since we have stayed at Caneel, but the quality has always been good.

Caneel has wonderful snorkeling, and I love Scott Beach, Hawksnest and the tiny
Paradise Beach. It really does have 7 beaches.

Jumby's main beach is also very calm,
but does not have the sealife you will see at Caneel. I also enjoy this beach!

As far as accomodations, my personal nod goes to Jumby. It has a real West Indian feel---outdoor showers.

Chances for a hurricane decrease as the
season gets later and later, but IMHO
its always a concern until the official
end of the season November 30th.

It sounds like you have made up your mind for Caneel---you cannot go wrong.
It is special, low key, enjoy.

Old May 21st, 2006, 07:06 AM

I have been to Caneel numerous times, once in October. At that time there was a hurricane that hit Guatamala, but with the exception of one brief afternoon shower, the weather was lovely.

One November stay, a hurricane was predicted to hit St. John. Caneel did evacuate everyone, but did an excellent job of providing on site travel agents to assist guests in making reservations for flights or quality hotels on higher ground on St. Thomas. I was lucky and my pre-planned departure date was scheculed for the day of evacuation. Fortunately, for all, the hurricane missed the island.
During hurricane season, it is the 'luck of the draw', but the chances of your trip being effected are greatly in your favor. However if there is a threat, I felt confident that guest safety, is Caneel's top priority.

I have also been to Jumby. While the rooms are lovely, the food is good, it is sided by residential development, which for me,detracted from a tropical island feel The beach is beautiful, but being only one, it does not offer the uncrowded privacy that Caneel's seven beaches have.

Caneel has a new executive chef, and during my stay this past November, I found the food to br excellent. In additiion,they have just opened a new bar complete with a pizza brick oven in conjuntion with upstairs dining patio.

Other dining and shopping is available at nearby Cruz Bay and island exploring is easy by renting a vehicle or day trips, all which can be done hastle free through Caneel.

Each place is lovely, but which is best, is a matter of individual choices and preferences.

Old May 21st, 2006, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

thanks so much for all of the helpful advice! do you have any advice on what type of room- beach front at Caneel or ocean view at Jumby would be better? and if we choose caneel- which beach do you recommend we should get our room near? thanks again- can't wait to hear from you!!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 01:47 AM

It is dificult to say which is the best beach location, as I have met many people who have stayed at different locations, each stating that their's were the best.
Beach Front vs. Ocean View.

For me, there is something magical about stepping from your room and having your toes feel the powdery white sand; however, beach front is not really that many more steps away, and most guests traverse to more than one beach while there. Beach Front is more costly, and you may want to weigh the price differential on being able to do more activities such as the sunset cruise, beach barbque, ect or more lavish meals. Since you will be there in October, you may want to call a week or two in advance and request a no additional cost upgrade. While there is no guarantee that one will be available, since you will be there in October and be on your honeymoon, your chances of getting one should be quite good.

Beach Accommodations (Reviews given to me by people who stayed at these locations.)

Caneel Beach - close to main area, calm longest shallow water walk out area, excellent snorkeling, especially over the rocks to the right. While not crowded, it is the least private beach.

Turtle Bay, Private, very good snorkeling, While accommodations are directly on the beach, occupants of upstairs units, must exit their rooms from the front and walk around the building to access the beach. (While it is not much of a bother, it detracts from that 'on the beach feel). Rooms are also a short stroll to Scott Beach.

Hawksnest - My favorite -Private great snorkeling - follow the rocks to the right, make the turn and you will discover natural fish filled grottos, to the right beautiful fan coral gently waving with the sea. Turtles can also be found there A shrt walk to Scott Beach.

Little Caneel Beach, I've been told the room's living space is larger, it is close to the main area, but it is a very small beach but is close to Caneel Beach.

Scott Beach - Premium extra cost, rooms Rooms are all on one level, private large beach, a good place for seeing sea turtles.

Cottage Point -Premium Ocean View, Private two units/building, each with their own patio, located on a small hill with a beautiful view of St.Thmas, especially at night. Canee, Paradise, and Scott Beaches are close.

Ocean View at Turtle Bay, Few people are aware of this treasured oasis. I am not sure if this has been classified as Premium or regular Oceanview. Up on a hill adjoining Turtle Bay Estate, rooms have balconies that overlook dense tropical vegitation to the beautiful sea below, Through the vegetation is a private footpath leading to a very small beach below. Occupants have easy access to the plush Estate Patio to use as their own, if it has not been reserved for a private function.It is a short stroll to Turtle Beach and not much further to Scott's and Hawksnest Beaches.

All beaches are easily accessable by frquently running shuttles are asoul reviving walk through the gorgeous grounds - Absolutely breathtaking.

No matter what you decide, you will be happy with your decision.