internet cafes Negril

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 04:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
internet cafes Negril

OK here's my dumb question for today... and thanks in advance for your patience. I won't have a laptop with me & will be staying on the Cliffs. Will I find public internet cafes close by that I can email home?
Thanks, suze
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 04:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes there is an internet cafe on the west end. but your hotel may have a computer that you can use. i never bring a laptop, we travel light, just 1 carry on each and still don't use everything we bring. you'll be in bathing suits most of the time. if you don't have transportation from the airport to negril yet look at alfreds taxi service (book online)he's reliable and reasonably priced and has a nice new large van.
remember when you take a taxi in town the price is $100j from the cliffs to the roundabout, then $100j to anyplace on the beach. negril.com (message board)has an exchange rate cheat sheet you can print and we like to exchange our money at the cambio at the hi lo grocery in town. or you can just use american $. i think the rate is about $1us= $83j,it's just easier to use ja money.
have fun, i know you will! (when do you go?)(don't forget the Sea Star on sat night)
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for answering & more! That is all great advice. I leave next week, for 10 days. Already packed... shorts, t-shirts, bathing suits, sandals. Staying at Mirage, with a group of friends next door at Tensing Pen same time.

I appreciate the airport recommendation, about local taxi fares, cambio & intenet cafe locations, etc. I'm comfortable changing money/using local currency so will definitely do that. THANKS again.
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 02:50 PM

Amazes me how people think this is a safe practice, logging onto their accounts in a foreign country via a computer they know nothing about.

Perform a search on key loggers and enjoy the reading. Yes it may only be hotmail or gmail, but what emails are delivered to that address, bank statements? credit card details?. Just pray you don't return home and your identity is gone or ruined. Obviously worst case scenario, but why would you put yourself at risk????
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 04:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your concern Steve, but I keep a completely separate account on Yahoo which I use when I'm traveling. Nothing confidential is delivered to that address. It is not attached to *anything* and certainly not financial stuff like banking or credit cards.

I use it to email my family so they know I'm OK since I usually travel solo.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 07:59 PM
Original Poster

And the answer is...

There are two internet cafes, both located at Mary's Bay, so between the round-about and the Cliffs. One called Blue Water and one called Sue's. Both have a half dozen computers and very cheap prices (100jmd for 15-20 mins.) and nice staff and atmosphere.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:15 AM

Welcome back Suze! How was your trip?