Car rental in St.Thomas vs St John

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19th, 2010, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are wondering the advantages or disadvantages of renting a vehicle in St.Thomas versus St.John. We are flying into St Thomas and staying 10 days in Villa on St.John. I think to save money we should not rent a Jeep/SUV the full 10 days ( we do want to explore St.John some of the time). My husbands concern is getting luggage from Airport to Villa in Cruz Bay. If we rent taxi to ferry, get car in St.John is it more hassle than the savings might be? We are leaving next week so we need help ASAP? ANY Suggestions are greatly appreciated in advance. Thanks
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 11:50 AM

This subject is a very common one in reference to St. John. A search will give you pros and cons to each option. When renting on St. John you basically load your luggage in van to the ferry, your luggage is loaded on the rear of the ferry, and you are either met by the villa greeter or the 'Jeep' rental company at the ferry dock.The lighter you travel, the easier this process is.

As someone who has had a Jeep break down on St. John I obviously prefer the St. John option. I'd also recommend renting the full 10 days.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks RobertoB for the great input. Do you have a company or individual you would recommend renting from?
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 02:33 PM

I've rented from Courtesy and C & C. Both were pleasant to deal with.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:24 AM

RobertoB - excelent point about repairs. We were borrowing a friend's car on St. John and we needed a battery. Talk about a pain in the neck!! We ended up renting a vehicle on St. John rather than dealing with ferries and cabs on St. Thomas.

The other thing is I cannot imagine driving on St. Thomas if you have not been there before. The OP does not say, but I still think that would be a challenge.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:29 AM

Former Virgin Island resident here...By all means rent a car on St John if that is your base..A number of rentals there..I've used Conrad Sutton in Cruz Bay for years.(Just google Conrad Sutton Rentals).Great cars for over 25 years..Lot in town 200 yd from the ferry dock and he will meet you at the ferry dock..Easy and more relaxing after a long trip to taxi to the ferry dock to St John..they will load your luggage on the ferry and then meet Conrad at the Cruz Bay dock with your rental..Conrad also has a lot to park in when you visit Cruz Bay..

For more local info on Virgin islands I recommend you check out this site: http://www.travelaskthelocals.yolasite.com