Search

Experienced Advice needed

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2019, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Experienced Advice needed

my husband and I are traveling to Guatemala in April- we have never been there and any helpful advice is welcomed! Such as, what to pack- not to pack- passport do’s and dont’s- attire that is appropriate for the culture, money/currency - what to take? Dollars? Thank you in advance for any help!
Old Feb 19th, 2019, 09:39 PM

My best travel advice is to pack really light - just a loosely-filled carry-on sized pack. Here's a great resource for validation and ideas:
http://www.onebag.com

Take clothes that can be layered, including a light fleece for the highlands plus a light goretex jacket or cheapie poncho if you'll be there during the wet season; I'm not an umbrella person but some folks prefer them to a jacket or poncho. Good quality microfiber/wicking clothes are awesome - they're actually cooler than cotton in the heat, layer well, and dry in a flash so they're good in the highlands as well as the lowlands. I wear jeans at home but not when I travel - they’re heavy to pack, take forever to dry, and dry stiff on a clothes line.

Some clothes with "wicking" tags are cheap knock-offs and wear like plastic. As a rule of thumb, anything that REI sells is a good brand:
http://www.rei.com

They're spendy but have great sales. I also like shopping at these online outlets (after I've researched REI and know what brands to consider):
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage
http://www.campmor.com
http://www.sierratradingpost.com

Be sure your shoes (I take Keen Newport H20s and a pair of flipflops) are comfortable for walking and that your pack is comfortable; if you're interested in my take on a few great travel packs, let me know.

My packing list for Central America is #14 in the FAQ thread of the Thorntree forum. It's served me well for many years, though I travel with my iPhone and an iPad mini now - connectivity and a way to backup and share my photos. I usually spend 3-6 weeks at a time in CA but my list would be the same for a week or 6 months:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...hreadID=828622

Cultural note: I reserve shorts and sundresses for beachy areas, rafting, etc. to be respectful culturally but lots of tourists wear them - ok as long as they aren't so daring they attract attention.

For money I take US cash in small bills and (usually) enough local currency to get me started which I save from previous trips or order online and pick up at my bank. Generally you'd be fine with just USD to get from the airport to your 1st destination. I also take American Express travelers checks for backup and for hotels, Spanish schools, dive ops, etc. that allow me to pay that way - I find out in advance; they can be exchanged in banks, too, but not all banks and are sort of a pain. Most folks have given them up but they're incredibly convenient for largish tabs at the limited number of places that still take them.

Then for the rest I use ATMs as I go; in my experience you get the cash in the local currency and the exchange rate is decent. There are fees involved but that's just a travel expense along with many others; some banks charge more than others. I check out the forums ahead and check with hotel and Spanish school folks once I'm on the ground and avoid ATMs in areas with a history of problems.

A few years ago I set up a travel account at a credit union, separate from where I normally do my banking; ATM card use is free and I use it while traveling, then change my password and empty it so I don't have worries about subsequent removal of the funds if the ATMs are buggy - often the fraudulent withdrawals are made months after the trip. I set up my accounts so I am notified by email when there are deductions (in case of fraud) and when my balances get to a certain level without having to use my bank password in questionable wifi environments; I can transfer money between accounts online but only do it from secured wifi. I have a newish travel credit card from Bank of America, too - no foreign transaction fees.

I only go out with the amount of money I need, sometimes in a 'throw down' wallet with a few expired cards and the day's cash. If I am transitioning from 1 place to another I keep my passport, cash, cards, etc. under my clothes.

Be sure any US (or other foreign) bills you bring are in very good condition - no tears or pen marks on them. The banks are getting increasingly picky about accepting bills like that so providers are generally careful to check and will reject imperfect bills. Many banks in Guatemala have stopped taking $20 bills and smaller denominations and there are likely to be restrictions on how much you can access via different methods. On recent trips to Guatemala the limit to exchange was $500/month and only $50 and $100 bills in good condition were accepted. ATMs the limit is generally 2000 quetzales/day.

One of my best tricks to avoid handling a lot of cash as I travel is to deal with really reputable hotels and transport providers and make larger payments before I travel. For me this is mainly with folks I use trip after trip and really trust so isn't something that works for everyone.

Remember to notify your bank and card company you'll be using the cards on foreign shores - where and when - and also find out before you hand over your card if there will be an additional fee for charge card use - sometimes 5% or more. I email myself a scan of the travelers check numbers and our main passport pages and pack a copy of them with me, too. I also go to http://www.oanda.com/currency/travel-exchange-rates and make tiny cheat sheets with the conversion rates for each country to keep handy.

If you don't have one already, in my opinion you should get your hands on a guidebook and devour it, even an older 1 from your local library would work. They have good historical and cultural background sections and suggested itineraries in addition to travel, tour, food, and lodging specifics. When you have a better idea of what you’re wanting, you can get more updated info from the internet and come back with more specific questions so we can help you better.

In the mean time here's a link to my photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection - all my recommendations are embedded there.
Happy planning!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

PS Let us know if your trip includes the week before Easter - it's the busiest time of the year in Guatemala so you'd want extra advice for that.
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 03:04 AM
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hopefulist
My best travel advice is to pack really light - just a loosely-filled carry-on sized pack. Here's a great resource for validation and ideas:
http://www.onebag.com

Take clothes that can be layered, including a light fleece for the highlands plus a light goretex jacket or cheapie poncho if you'll be there during the wet season; I'm not an umbrella person but some folks prefer them to a jacket or poncho. Good quality microfiber/wicking clothes are awesome - they're actually cooler than cotton in the heat, layer well, and dry in a flash so they're good in the highlands as well as the lowlands. I wear jeans at home but not when I travel - they’re heavy to pack, take forever to dry, and dry stiff on a clothes line.

Some clothes with "wicking" tags are cheap knock-offs and wear like plastic. As a rule of thumb, anything that REI sells is a good brand:
http://www.rei.com

They're spendy but have great sales. I also like shopping at these online outlets (after I've researched REI and know what brands to consider):
https://www.rei.com/rei-garage
http://www.campmor.com
http://www.sierratradingpost.com

Be sure your shoes (I take Keen Newport H20s and a pair of flipflops) are comfortable for walking and that your pack is comfortable; if you're interested in my take on a few great travel packs, let me know.

My packing list for Central America is #14 in the FAQ thread of the Thorntree forum. It's served me well for many years, though I travel with my iPhone and an iPad mini now - connectivity and a way to backup and share my photos. I usually spend 3-6 weeks at a time in CA but my list would be the same for a week or 6 months:
http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntre...hreadID=828622

Cultural note: I reserve shorts and sundresses for beachy areas, rafting, etc. to be respectful culturally but lots of tourists wear them - ok as long as they aren't so daring they attract attention.

For money I take US cash in small bills and (usually) enough local currency to get me started which I save from previous trips or order online and pick up at my bank. Generally you'd be fine with just USD to get from the airport to your 1st destination. I also take American Express travelers checks for backup and for hotels, Spanish schools, dive ops, etc. that allow me to pay that way - I find out in advance; they can be exchanged in banks, too, but not all banks and are sort of a pain. Most folks have given them up but they're incredibly convenient for largish tabs at the limited number of places that still take them.

Then for the rest I use ATMs as I go; in my experience you get the cash in the local currency and the exchange rate is decent. There are fees involved but that's just a travel expense along with many others; some banks charge more than others. I check out the forums ahead and check with hotel and Spanish school folks once I'm on the ground and avoid ATMs in areas with a history of problems.

A few years ago I set up a travel account at a credit union, separate from where I normally do my banking; ATM card use is free and I use it while traveling, then change my password and empty it so I don't have worries about subsequent removal of the funds if the ATMs are buggy - often the fraudulent withdrawals are made months after the trip. I set up my accounts so I am notified by email when there are deductions (in case of fraud) and when my balances get to a certain level without having to use my bank password in questionable wifi environments; I can transfer money between accounts online but only do it from secured wifi. I have a newish travel credit card from Bank of America, too - no foreign transaction fees.

I only go out with the amount of money I need, sometimes in a 'throw down' wallet with a few expired cards and the day's cash. If I am transitioning from 1 place to another I keep my passport, cash, cards, etc. under my clothes.

Be sure any US (or other foreign) bills you bring are in very good condition - no tears or pen marks on them. The banks are getting increasingly picky about accepting bills like that so providers are generally careful to check and will reject imperfect bills. Many banks in Guatemala have stopped taking $20 bills and smaller denominations and there are likely to be restrictions on how much you can access via different methods. On recent trips to Guatemala the limit to exchange was $500/month and only $50 and $100 bills in good condition were accepted. ATMs the limit is generally 2000 quetzales/day.

One of my best tricks to avoid handling a lot of cash as I travel is to deal with really reputable hotels and transport providers and make larger payments before I travel. For me this is mainly with folks I use trip after trip and really trust so isn't something that works for everyone.

Remember to notify your bank and card company you'll be using the cards on foreign shores - where and when - and also find out before you hand over your card if there will be an additional fee for charge card use - sometimes 5% or more. I email myself a scan of the travelers check numbers and our main passport pages and pack a copy of them with me, too. I also go to http://www.oanda.com/currency/travel-exchange-rates and make tiny cheat sheets with the conversion rates for each country to keep handy.

If you don't have one already, in my opinion you should get your hands on a guidebook and devour it, even an older 1 from your local library would work. They have good historical and cultural background sections and suggested itineraries in addition to travel, tour, food, and lodging specifics. When you have a better idea of what you’re wanting, you can get more updated info from the internet and come back with more specific questions so we can help you better.

In the mean time here's a link to my photos with blog, travelogue, and review links on the main page of each collection - all my recommendations are embedded there.
Happy planning!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/staceyholeman/collections

PS Let us know if your trip includes the week before Easter - it's the busiest time of the year in Guatemala so you'd want extra advice for that.
Can you tell me the best-safest way to travel from Guatemala City to Antigua? And also from Antigua to Lake Atitlán? And the from Lake Atitlán to the airport?
Thank You!!
Old Feb 20th, 2019, 09:14 AM

Here's my take on getting from the airport to Antigua, reposted from a previous thread:

You can just walk out of the airport and choose someone who has "Antigua" on a sign; the cost will be $10 per person. You may have to wait a few minutes for the van to fill and a few minutes on the other end if others are dropped at their hotels/destinations in Antigua before you are. Deal straight with the drivers if you can instead of with a middle man who might upcharge you and be sure to have your hotel address handy; they'll say they know where it is to get your business but that hasn't always been the case for me. Arriving after 8pm there are likely to be share shuttles there, but there is a chance there won't - that happened to a friend recently. I’ve recently read that shuttles aren’t generally available for the early morning flights, either. No worries - have a Plan B ready.

You can hire a taxi on the spot; cost might be $25-40, depending on your negotiating skills and the time of day/night (shared, not per person). When I'm arriving at night I have my hotel - Hotel Casa Cristina - arrange a shuttle for me, $35-40 for up to 3; many hotels will make arrangements for you and Spanish schools will, too, some charge more. Uber is just getting started in Guatemala, maybe worth a try as I think it would be cheaper. After a long trip it's kind of nice to exit the airport and see my name on a sign but I usually only do that if I'm arriving after dark or with a group in tow.

Here are 2 transportation providers I’ve been pleased with in Guatemala for share shuttles, private transfers, and flight arrangements:
Adrenalina Tours ? Tour Operator
RAINBOW TRAVEL

If you are specifically interested in a private driver, Alfredo Garcia is bilingual, personable, prompt, and safe, and has nice vehicles: [email protected]

All forms of transit from the airport should accept USD. If you arrive late and decide you'd rather sleep near the airport and head to Antigua in the morning, here are 2 recommended hotels just a couple of minutes from the airport that offer free airport shuttles as well as breakfast in the morning; the 1st is budget, the 2nd midrange, both great value (ask how early breakfast is provided; they might provide snacks in a bag if you're too early). It's a gated neighborhood, no restaurants, but you can order in at Villa Toscana - not sure about Dos Lunas.
http://hoteldoslunas.com/
Hostal Villa Toscana (we really love this 1)

Antigua to Lake Atitlán would usually be a share shuttle or private driver, both are easy to arrange and door-to-door, but a private ride would be more comfortable and you could pick the schedule plus make planned or unplanned stops en route.

Lake Atitlán to GUA is best by private driver because the share shuttles virtually all detour into Antigua to drop off and pick up other passengers; the trip can therefore take 5+ hours. With a private driver it's 3-3.5, sometimes more depending on day of the week, time of the day, and traffic good or bad luck. Note that the recommendation is to arrive 3 hours ahead of an international flight, 4 hours if you have checked bags and/or a laptop. I would plan at least 3 hours in any case. Also note that I've been delayed on that route by crashes, bike races, and strikes as well as heavy traffic, so there's risk sleeping so far from GUA if making your flight is important to you.

If you tell us your flight arrival and departure days and times, we might be able to help make suggestions about the order of your itinerary.
Old Apr 4th, 2019, 10:40 PM

Recommendation

Hello css1115,
The appropriate attire for the culture is basically the same you are accustomed, you can wear jeans, t-shirts, shorts, pants, etc. The currency is Quetzales whic is about 7.5 quetzales for 1 dollar. You can use your dollars perfectly well.

To know what to pack you can bring the essentials that you would take to any other trip, but basically you can find everything in Guatemala.
Hope these help but I am sure you and your wife will have an amazing time in Guatemala, you have nothing to worry about. Enjoy your tirp!