My first International Trip

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a couple of months, I will take my first international trip. I will travel from the U.S. to London and Scotland. What advice do you have for newbies? Should I exchange money in the U.S. or wait until I get there? I will be on a tour (accompanying a group of students, actually), so my hotel is taken care of. I read these forums extensively during my travels in the U.S. I'd appreciate hearing any advice you have to offer.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:18 AM

Have a great time!

You do not need to exchange money before you go. Bring your ATM card and your credit cards. Get cash with the ATM card and charge the bigger stuff (dinners, hotels, souvenirs etc). You get better exchanges rates doing this.

Are you the chaperone of the group? How structured is this tour? You don't really say what kind of advice you need. If you have specific things you are doing with the group, then you don't really need itinerary advice, for example.

If you provide some more details, it will be easier for us to help you. If you have read these boards extensively, then you should know a lot about London or Scotland already, so if you ask more specific questions, we can probably help you better.

Karen
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 09:39 AM
JMM

I disagree slightly with kaudrey. I would advise exchanging a small amount of money before you leave the U.S.left - just so you hve some cash in case you cannot get to an ATM immediately. Just a small amount though (less than $100) - ATMs are common in the U.K. - so just find out which ones take your ATM card - your bank should be able to give you some info on this.
My other piece of advice is go to your local library and brouse through a lot of travel books. Once you find one you really like, buy it at a bookstore.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 10:36 AM

Congratulations on your travel plans!

I would agree with bringing a small amount of local currency so you don't have to exchange money right away when you land. You'll have plenty to do with just getting your luggage and the students organized. Don't forget a money belt.

I would also recommend going to the library and checking out a few guidebooks. Rick Steves has a lot of good advice for the first time traveller as I'm sure others do to. The more you've "done your homework" the more confident you'll feel and the more questions you will probably have. That's when this forum can be really helpful.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:10 AM
Chatters

bballmama---- YEAHHHH! I am excited for you!

Change approx $60-100 at the airport, and take an ATM card with you. Money exchange is not something you want to do while trying to get your bearings in a new city and take care of a group of students.

Have your passport handy, but secure. Know where it is all times.

Take two credit cards; carry one, leave the other as a backup in a safe at the hotel.

Don't overpack; three dark color pants with 4 shirts and one cardigan goes for 2 weeks. Pack laundry detergent (small bottle). Two pair of shoes max. One comfortable walking shoes and another dressier black pumps.

Take a foldable/purse umbrella with you.

Once in a while, go explore on your own. The best memories may be those when you had no plan nor expectations...

Do rest. A clear and rested mind is the perfect foundation for wonderful memories.

Have fun.

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:13 AM
Chatters

bballmama-- about the shoes....I am assuming you are a girl . Disregard the black pumps advice if you are not.

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 11:42 AM

I agree with JMM about changing little money before you go.

On my first trip to Europe, I was with a group and because of the need for staying with group while we were in the airport, was unable to change money for several hours. My first few hours in Germany would have been much more pleasent with some local currency.

Be sure to call your bank and alert them that you will be using your credit and ATM card in the UK. Also ask them for the telephone numbers to use from the UK.

Then check with your health insurance company to make sure you are covered, get any special instructions, and get their telepone number that will be good from outside the US.

Keith
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 12:00 PM
rex

While it will set you back $3-5 per $100, I think you have some obligation to be able to solve any crisis quickly for your students, and cash in hand is a handy tool. I am guessing that you are not the only adult traveling with them. If you are, I think you should travel with 25-50 pounds per student, in your pocket. If you are one of 2-3, then that expectation could be divided like that.

Have a great trip.

Other general advice? Use the search function and read other threads here on this forum about:

"convertor" or "transformer" (electric)
"hair dryer" (similar topic)
"washcloths" (take your own)
"PIN numbers" (know them)
"notify bank" (do this)

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 01:33 PM

Even if you are a girl, forget the black pumps. Go instead with a very comfortable pair of black flats. You will be walking lots and I don't expect a trip with students will offer you much opportunity to dress up.
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 02:13 PM
Chatters

actually that's what I had in mind...aren't those flat, simple line, black, dressy shoes called pumps????

Old Mar 25th, 2004, 03:27 PM

bballmama:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First reject outright ALL advice that has turned your good news about TRAVEL... into a discussion about black pumps.

My sage advice:

*Go with your travel desire gut!

*Follow your passions!

*Plan to do waaaayyyyy too much,

*Splurge

*Be careful

*Seek many opinions

*Read or skim all of the guidebooks available...buy them if you can and then pass them on to others...dog ears and all. Or order them from the library.

*Search various internet travel sites

*Weigh everything through your own scales.

*Have FUN

*Be adventurous

*Shop

*Pack lots

*Play

* Finally, make sure you do it your way!

Doing YOUR trip YOUR way is the major take away...you see, when you are done then you too can come back and present yet another diverse experience, opinion and ofer YOUR advice for the newbie down the road...

Congratulations Again!!!
Oaktown Traveler
Old Mar 25th, 2004, 04:07 PM

you've gotten excellent advise so far, but let me also suggest making a copy of the inside pages of your passport (including the number) and leave it with someone back home--just in case you either misplace or have stolen while travling. It's less red tape to have the passport replaced if you have the number. ENJOY!!
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 04:51 AM

I agree with taking a small amount of local currency. It's nice to know you have money at hand when you get off the plane. Also, you should call your credit card companies to let them know you will be using your cards in Europe -I once had a credit card cut off while I was in Spain because Citibank thought someone had stolen it and was using it in Europe.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 06:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Rex - Are the exchange rates per $100 or per transaction? The last 2 times I traveled with students (2000 and 2001) there was a per transaction fee at the airport and each student gave me $100 so we would only be charged one time and then we divide the money equally. At exchange booths in some countries it would be a higher fee for an amount under $150 and a lower fee for over $150. We would again pool our money. It is important everyone puts in the same amount so it doesn't get too complicated. Of course if it is a per $100 fee now this won't work.
Old Mar 28th, 2004, 07:18 AM
rex

Lara (kyb) - - no, you are right, the "fee" is per transaction, but I was implicitly referring to the exchange rate. Many places, including your own bank will claim to offer you a "no-fee" exchange. But they are getting you a few dollars (per 100) in the exchange rate - - compared to what you will get from a (true no-fee) ATM transaction (and increasingly, even these have a 1% - - or more - - fee built in).

Old Mar 28th, 2004, 09:31 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Since it's your first trip I would probably suggest getting a couple 100 changed before you go, just for peace of mind. But you can also easily change some $ or use an ATM at the airport upon arrival. I always carry the combination of: an ATM card, credit card for emergencies, and US cash to exchange, maybe travelers checks if you want one extra emergency method.

Pack light (one small suitcase plus one good size tote, daypack, or pocketbook). Take a couple pair of comfortable shoes/sandals. Collect travel size of all toiletries and cosmetics to save weight and space.

Enjoy your adventure!!!!
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 01:15 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all so very much for the invaluable information. I've read this and other boards and hope I'm ready! There is still a little time! To answer some of your questions raised to me:

I am a girl (if 43 years-of-age qualifies as "girlish"!).
I will accompany about 40 young musicians. We will travel to London through Gathright (forgive me if I misspelled) airport rather than Heathrowe. We will travel by bus to Stockton-on-Tees, Scotland. One of our band members has family there, and we have been invited to play at an event in a local church. In Scotland, we have been invited to stay in the homes of some of the local people, which should be very interesting. Most of our sightseeing time will be in London. We will have a requisite trip to Hard Rock London. I don't have any idea what is going to happen for the rest of the trip.

Thanks to your advice, I will take a small amount of currency. I will leave copies of my passport at home and I'll call the bank. (Actually, with today's security that's not a bad choice for any trip --I've been questioned several times). I am also going to pack differently than I ever have. I tend to overpack. I also need to travel with digital cameras and digital video recording equipment. I think I should take all extra batteries and tapes necessary.

If you can think of any additional tips, please send them my way. I am excited about my trip, but I'm also aware that I'm responsible for a number of young adults as well. I appreciate your help.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 02:08 PM
rex

Are you the only adult accompanying them? You say young adults - - over 17? over 19? over 21? Would it be out of line for one or two of the family members from Stockton-on-Tees to come to GatWICK (note spelling) to meet you and be sure everything is okay with the bus? Is this a charter bus? or public? (will you be splitting up, if it is public?)

I am usually "anti-worrywart", but with 40 "youngsters" (even 20+ year olds), there are simply a lot of organizational and logistics details to think through. You will likely have one-to-a-few "difficult travelers" who will consume 80% of the problem-solving time you need to devote to the group. Little things screw up an "army on its feet" like this. How WILL you deal with even one badly sprained ankle at Gatwick, for example?

Hve you been wathing "The Apprentice"? Someone could end up with a "concussion"! or get a phone call about a mother's newsly diagnosed cancer...

If I were a parent, I would think that access to 500-1000 GBP, in CASH, ought to be at your fingertips at pretty much all times. While traveler's cheques are normally a pain, they might make sense in this case. I would undrstand perfectly, if you asked each parent to underwrite this totally refundable (hopefully never used) cash kitty.
Old Apr 4th, 2004, 03:58 PM

Hi bballmama. Stockton-on-Tees isn't in Scotland but is in the North East of England, around 30 miles from Newcastle Upon Tyne.

Just thought I'd point it out in case you were expecting to be in the middle of the Scottish Highlands with lots of wild haggis roaming free