Hurricane season

Apr 28th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Original Poster

Hurricane season

Hi!

I know this falls between the Caribbean Island forum and the Latin America forum but I was planning a trip for my anniversary in August. I know that falls in Hurricane season. I was just wondering which islands/places would be safer than others.

The places I have in mind are Cuba, Dominican Republic, Panama, Aruba, Cancun, Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos.

Thank you!
Apr 28th, 2005, 12:10 PM

Aruba is the least hit by hurricanes. That being said, everything can get hit. We enjoyed Aruba last year.
Apr 28th, 2005, 04:09 PM

Depends on what you like commercialization?hiking?snorkeling?Americanized?m ountainous or flat?

Aruba would be good if you like somewhere that is very commercialized..it has very good restaurants and friendly people.

Bonaire is good if you like to scuba and snorkel...its not as developed as Aruba.

I have heard good things about Curacao as well.

Any of the ABC islands are less likely to get hit by a hurricane...Aruba,Bonaire and Curacao.They are USUALLY out of the hurricane belt.

Good luck!!!Let us know what you are looking for and we can better help you.
Apr 29th, 2005, 03:28 AM

Although you are wise to be wary of hurricane season, the actual risk of your trip or your island being affected by a storm is small, and you'll have plenty of warning. As hurricane season goes, August is statistically less risky than September. My suggestion would be to choose where you want to go, and go there. Trip interruption insurance is worth considering, but the best preparation is awareness.
Apr 29th, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

I was just looking for a getaway, somewhere tropical. I'm planning on giong on those all-inclusive vacations so we will probably be staying at our resort most of the time. I wouldn't mind a good place for snorkling though! =)

Yeah, I'm just a bit paranoid as this is my first trip down to the Caribbeans. I've just been getting mixed reactions about the time I was going, hopefully the weather will be good though. I need a good vacation! =)

Apr 29th, 2005, 05:01 PM

I think because Grand Cayman got hit so hard this last year, people seem to be more worried about hurricanes now. The ABC islands are your best bet. I don't think I would focus on Aruba for an anniversary. It's not a luxurious nor romantic place. I think you would be better off selecting Curacao. We stayed at the Marriott there and it was very clean, good restaurants, friendly staff, lots to do OR you could just sit back, relax and enjoy your spouse.
Apr 30th, 2005, 07:49 AM

Chance are in August wherever you go...you will hopefully not have to worry about a hurricane!Hopefully you will find wherever you go!!
Apr 30th, 2005, 11:50 AM

A nice relaxing place that is quite pretty is Bermuda. Most hotels have meal plans that you can take part in. I would also say that anywhere you go in the caribbean that time of year, it is hurricane season. Buy trip insurance and just hope for the best! Our honeymoon was in August and we had perfect weather (this was 17 years ago!)try to relax and enjoy!!
May 8th, 2005, 03:52 AM

No island is guaranteed as safe, but due to their locations, your best odds of avoiding a hurricane or tropical storrm are Aruba, Bonaire and Curacao, probably followed by Grenada.

August and September are probably the two highest-risk months of hurricane season. Even if you avoid one (which you probably will), you have higher odds for rainy weather.
May 8th, 2005, 06:01 AM

While you never know exactly where a hurricane might strike, it is possible to look at past historical records and get a good general idea of where hurricanes track.

Here is the link to the map that shows all the hurricane tracks from last year's hurricane season. Also their dates and strength.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/tracks/2004atl.gif

This page gives you the links to all the historical records.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/pastall.shtml

But I fully agree with the other posters that the actual chances of a hurricane, at the exact location, and exact time of your vacation is very small. And hurricanes are not an overnight occurance. You have several days warning and tourists are generally evacuated once a hurricane warning is issued. So get yourself some cancellation or trip interuption insurance, book your holiday and then forget about everything except relaxing and enjoying yourself.

Steve
May 8th, 2005, 06:35 AM

with all the conflicting info being offered i decided to take a look at noaa as steve suggested. i counted and over a 10 yr period aug and sept had around 40 storms each. then i went back through the maps to watch the tracking. of the destination you mentioned panama is the only one that has never been hit. (i did not look at pacific) surprisingly cuba particularly the east end has been pretty good. cancun and dr bad records. and the abc's actually seem to get quite a few storms.
that said i say pick your favorite island and just book it with insurance.
if you went to panama it would cost more to fly but you would be there in "green season"(rains some each day -well it is a rainforest) so resorts rates are low season. the pacific coast is supposed to be spectacular. i have not been but best friend was there over xmas. she loved the country in general and the canopy tours in particular.
May 8th, 2005, 07:41 AM

I'm trying to plan a honeymoon for the middle of August, and the hurricane thing is a real coin toss. My fiance and I go back and forth on it. What makes it hard is that most years, August doesn't have that bad a problem and you're usually fine. And especially if you plan for the southern Caribbean, your odds are even better. Yet, all you have to do is look at last year's hurricane map to get apprehensive. Last year, Bonnie, Charley AND Earl all swept through the southern Caribbean in the second week of August. If this year ends up like last year, and we plan for the Caribbean, our honeymoon will be toast. But at the same time, I still find myself wanting to chance it. Not sure what I'm going to do. Anyone have any good ideas for Eurpean beaches in August?
Jul 16th, 2005, 03:16 AM
TKM

Margarita Island is outside the hurricane belt. Small island just off the coast of Venezuela. Temperatures are in the 30's all year round and it very rarely rains (unless you're in Playa El Agua and the rain often comes off the mountains behind). Nitelife is mainly in hotels although Porlamar (lots of nitelife/restuarants) and Playa El Agua both have bars/restaurants outside the hotels. People very friendly, lots of latin american dancing/music. In my opinion Laguna mar is the best hotel (porlamar). Hesperia El Margarita is good, although is now catering more towards the corporate client rather than the holiday maker. This hotel is in a beautiful bay and Dunes resort is next door. There are no restaurants/bars on the beach. Very unspoilt. Dunes is currently having some building work but is again a very good hotel and does cater for the holidaymaker. Hesperia El Agua is not as good a hotel to go too. But does have the nitelife directly outside. One thing to be aware of is that not alot of English is spoken, so some spanish would be good, especially is staying at Hesperia El Agua. The other hotels have higher standards of English, but in general this island is very beautiful, people friendly, very relaxing place to be. Lots of places to go diving/snorkelling nearby. Windsurfing is only available in El Yaque. Amazing sunsets too. Taxis & eating out are also very cheap, so getting out and about will not break the bank. I'd say this would be an ideal palce to go for a romantic and relaxing break
Jul 16th, 2005, 09:25 AM

I personally did not like Margarita Island having visited 15+ islands over the years but the hurricane possibility is low. But, generally the Western Caribbean get's hit from mid-August until late Oct.
I would recommend, as others have, the ABC islands for the best shot of not getting hit.

For a clean island that is quaint and a laid back vacation my vote is Curacao over Bonaire. Few people seem to know that the West End of the island has maby coves-Knip, for one-with excellent snorkeling in shallow water along the sides of the boulders that create the numerous cioves. We found itt better than Bonaire FOR SNORKELING.
If you want DIVING you should go to Bonaire.
If you can get into the Sea aquarium resort on the East End (30 minutes from the airport) you will get a very nice Suite on the second or third floor at a reasonable price. If you go try to contact, via email in advance, Dominique-Front Desk Manager- and mention Stan Kase she runs a nice small operation.We were there in April and are returning in January 2006.
Jul 25th, 2005, 02:23 PM

Aruba is NOT outside the hurricane belt as commonly believed. Here is a report from the Meterological Services of Netherlands Antilles and Aruba.
http://www.meteo.an/meteo2/eng/repor...tm#climleeward

Barbados is also on the southern fringes of the hurricane belt as well.
Jul 25th, 2005, 02:25 PM

Forgot to add that there was a hurricane warning out for Aruba last year when hurricane Ivan went through the area. Luckily it missed Aruba, but there was major flooding, damage and errosion to some beaches and damage to some hotels.