Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Best all inclusive for family with teenagers?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're celebrating our silver wedding anniversary in August 2006. So that know what holiday costs am considering an all inclusive resort. Want one with watersports to suit 2 adults and 2 boys (14 and 10). As is very special occasion willing to pay 4* prices. Any suggestions as to what's best?
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 10:29 AM

What a nice way to celebrate your anniversary!

I'd recommend the Hyatt Regency in Aruba. It has the watersports you want and is located on a beautiful beach. While the Hyatt is not an all-inclusive resort, there are numerous restaurants in all price ranges at and within walking distance of the hotel. If you absolutely have to go AI, you can contact the Hyatt about taking one of their meal plans but it is really not necessary or cost-effective.

I recommend Aruba primarily because of the time of year you're planning to travel. As you know, August is in the middle of the hurricane season but Aruba, because of its very southerly location, is outside of the traditional hurricane belt. You might get brushed with some rain in August but at least you're very unlikely to have your holiday ruined by a hurricane.
Old Jan 2nd, 2006, 03:45 PM

Aruba is NOT outside the hurricane belt. This is something that Aruba Tourism promoted to increase tourism to Aruba. Here is a report from the Meterological Society of the Netherlands Antilles & Aruba.
http://www.meteo.an/meteo2/eng/repor...tm#climleeward

There was a hurricane warning out for Aruba in the fall of 2004 when Ivan went through the area. Luckily Ivan missed Aruba, but there was major flooding, beach errosion and damage to some hotels as a result of the near miss.

Any island from St. Lucia and south is less likely to get a hurricane, but it is still possible with any island in the Caribbean.
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 05:30 AM

ONZGO is correct that Aruba is within the hurricane belt in that it can, and has, been brushed by hurricanes in the past. But, as I stated, it is outside the traditional, or more commonly traveled, hurricane belt. It has been hit by far fewer hurricanes over the years than just about any other Caribbean island. In fact, I don't remember the last hurricane that struck Aruba; it's been a long time. Of course, even though a hurricane misses Aruba, you may get some stormy weather from the hurricane's outer reaches - but at least you're not likely to get hit straight on from the hurricane.

My point still stands - if you're intent on traveling to the Caribbean in August and you want to minimize your chances of adverse weather ruining your vacation, your best bet will be Aruba (or the other nearby islands).
Old Jan 3rd, 2006, 06:18 AM

For an AI choice in Aruba, you may want to look at the Divi Aruba and its sister property, the Tamarijn. They are running a winter special until January 3rd and we got a great rate for two rooms at the Tamarinj for April. We are also travelling with teens (a bit older than yours) and I was attracted to the watersports--sailing and windsurfing--as well as the fact that they have a highly-rated pizza bar. (I know that's all my kids will probably eat.) There are also 2 - 3 other restaurants so you don't have to rely on buffets everyday. As I said, we haven't been there yet, but it looks good for our family.
Old Jan 5th, 2006, 10:31 AM

ormston

I've been to AI's in both Aruba and Negril (Beaches) Jamaica. Negril wins hands down in all categories except two. Aruba is easier to tour on ones own and relatively safer. Also the resorts are closer to the airport. You can't go wrong on either island although you will have to worry more about hurricanes in Jamaica. We also did a "Beaches" vacation on Turks & Caicos last year. That may be something to consider also
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 06:57 PM

I too am looking to travel for my honeymoon in august. I am torn b/c I badly want to go to Jamaica but feel this may be too large a risk. One of the runners up was Aruba but looking at a map there are a lot of islands south.
ANY ADVICE?? And what is considered "south enough??"