Hurricane Damage

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 03:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hurricane Damage

We are considering going to Grand Cayman in February. We are wondering what damage, if any, the island incurred.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:40 AM

Look at stormcarib.com
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

Thank-you. Already did. We were looking for something a little more current.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 08:02 AM

Talked to a couple of friends on island yesterday. Scattered flooding in George Town and along the south coast of the island. No wind damage really.
Big surf battering a couple of waterfront places in George Town (Rackhams and Hammerheads). Debris tossed up on 7 Mile Beach (small coral bits -normal after a storm).
No resort damage that they knew of.
John
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 09:39 AM

Hi. I'm happy to hear that those on the island attest to a different picture than was whirling around in my head. I had viewed the photos on stormcarib and thought it showed a bigger problem than what others are posting. Maybe this is all to be expected whenever there is a storm.

I'm going in Jan. and while I'm expecting to see remnants from Ivan, I held out hope no further damage would occur.

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 05:53 PM

Perhaps you might like to check out our blog post from Thu Oct 20th on http://thereef.blogspot.com

From Wilma there was some wave damage to a couple of restaurants, but other than that, little damage.

Ironically (considering the blog post by my team last week) I am now in Boston promoting Cayman, and spent the day today in the wind and rain up here making sales calls... trust me, the weather in New England today was nastier than Cayman had last week !
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 06:45 PM

Hey Tom,

I'd believe it! My 3 seater swing, which is free standing (we cover it in bad weather) was sailing around the deck - It terrified the heck out of my dogs and they refused to go outside, I can't say I blame them I was hiding out too, or is that in?

A couple of my neighbors lost trees, not onto their houses thankfully. We only lost a few large branches and since the were dead it's probably a good thing for the trees.

It used to worry me seeing 80ft tall oak trees bending in the wind (and we have a lot of them) now I just appreciate their steadfast nature and beauty.
Old Nov 1st, 2005, 05:14 AM

Check out this site-
caymanislandsrealty.com/ky?get?kywilma

This business did the same thing for Hurricane Ivan. It has a few pictures along with commentary. Good and bad.