How to find cheap travel to Caribbean?

Old Mar 7th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

How to find cheap travel to Caribbean?

How do you find cheap travel to the Caribbean? I consider cheap travel below $299 per person airfare including taxes. I'm checking many different cheap fare sites ... any other suggestions I may not be considering. Our family of 2 adults & 2 kids are wanting to travel in May!
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 04:01 PM

I find the best fares on www.travelone.com I also downloaded Sidestep which gives great fares. The cheapest fares are the Puerto Rico and probably Cancun from the East Coast. You can get better deals to other locations by doing a package. Call a good travel agent for that - they can usually match or beat most internet sites.
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 06:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cartera ... I'll check!
Old Mar 7th, 2004, 07:53 PM
Original Poster

Any other ideas floating out there??
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 05:32 AM

It would help if you had an idea of where in the Caribbean you might want to go.I have received emails from US Airways lately with specials to the Caribbean. Have you checked there? Don't know where you're traveling from so it might not be an option. Also try posting on www.tropictravelonline.com they have bulletin boards for different areas as well as different resorts. Many good ideas there. May is not the high season in Jamaica so if you choose there you might can save on accomodations & spend more on air or other things.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Thanks BENJ .... I'll check that out & we can travel from either Houston or Dallas. Really want to keep it under a 6 hour flight because traveling with small children!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Keep in mind that taxes on international airline tickets run aroun d$95 per person, so $299 inclusive of taxes does not leave much room to play with.

Having said that, both Cayman Airways and Continental fly non-stop from Houston to Cayman (about 3 hours) and will likely have some great specials coming up for the summer.

The Cayman Islands as a destination is also about to launch their summer promotional campaign, which will be family focussed (and offer deals for families) and that will run from June 1st if you can adjust your travel dates.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tom Cayman for the info. Yes, I realize that $299 is cutting very close & I probably can be a little more flexible with that amount + my travel dates. I notice your address being from THE REEF ... I've considered there & may email you about promotions!
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:34 AM

Is it cheaper for you to fly to the west coast of Mexico? Ixtapa is very nice and there are some nice family resorts and the flight should be shorter. Again, you may want to check package deals. If you can arrange to leave and return on a weekday, you will find much better rates than Sat-Sat or Sun-Sun.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 11:24 AM

I just checked the specials on Air Jamaica for flights from east coast and they have a special from Houston to a couple of different. At first glance, it looked close to your price range.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Cartera for the advice ... actually we took a suggestion & are checking out CLUBMED Ixtapa ... understand they have outstanding children's & infant programs which would help us a lot. The price for the package for 7 nights I thought was very reasonable. Thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2004, 10:54 AM

Great. I thought the kid's programs were great. I also liked the food - lots of fresh fish, but it is buffet. There is one adults only restaurant and I can't remember the food so I guess it was okay. They have good water there too - not like the rest of Mexico. The resort has its own water filtration system so we weren't freaked out about the water all the time. You should be aware that Club Med rooms are very sparse - they had concrete beds when we were there - with mattresses of course. We were never in the room so it didn't matter but you should be advised. Maybe they have upgraded since we were there - it has been a while. We got a room near the second smaller pool - it was all shallow water (not baby pool shallow but not 6 feet either). It was almost in our back yard and we loved the privacy. Most people didn't even know it existed. We were a hike from the main dining area so it may be tough with more than one kid. If your husband is tall, ask for a bed without the footboard! They will try to get you involved in group activities but we weren't pressured. It is not luxury but I think is a good value and I think the kids will love it. One warning, the sun is brutal in Mexico - worse than the Caribbean in my opinion so let the kids know they will be in tee shirts and hats. The counselors are good about suncreen. Look at the reviews at www.tripadviser.com There are good and bad reviews but overall give you the flavor of the place. Some people complained about getting the flu but I bet they brought it with them. There are ants in the rooms but they didn't bother me.