When to buy tickets?

Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:20 AM
Original Poster

When to buy tickets?

We are planning on a trip to Turks & Caicos at the end of June. When should we buy our plane tickets? The fares from DC on USAir have gone up $100 in the past 2 days so I'm not sure if we should buy now before they get worse or wait for a sale? Thanks!
Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:31 AM

One thing we have done the last few trips is to always book our air first, then book your accomodations. This way, you can be flexible with the dates, and in most cases find better fares by flying mid-week and not on weekends. Of course you will want to call your resort choice, and make sure the availability is open before booking the flights. We don't care to travel on weekends reguardless, as it's always more crowded at the airports.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 07:52 AM

Don't buy your tickets now that they have gone up. I got airfare to TCI for less than $300 from RDU.

The fare sale just ended, but there will be another one soon for Caribbean travel.

I have used a lot of different websites for air, but I find travelocity.com and the airline you would be flying have the best deals.

June is LOW season, and there will soon be some more fare sales for travel during that time.

It can be kind of stress-inducing, but I find that 40 to 60 days in advance of the travel dates is when the sales go on. The carriers know that most people do reserve in advance, and they take advantage of that to charge top dollar.

During low season, fares are about 30 to 40% lower than normal.

If you use travelocity, you can put in "flexible" on your travel dates and get waaay better fares.

Good luck!
Feb 2nd, 2006, 08:44 AM

I don't know much about USAir, but I can tell you that in the last 5 years I've been watching fares to the Caribbean on American Airlines like a hawk. Because we tend to travel in the off-season, I pay close attention to the May-November fares. Consistently, there has been a fare sale that started in spring for travel up through June 15, but after that travel date, fares went right back up. I expect it's the start of peak season of families traveling with children after the school year, despite the fact that it's supposed to be low season in the Caribbean.

AA have also been consistent in offering a sale that starts around July that is good for travel starting mid-August and going through mid-November. I expect that is largely due to hurricane season.

Perhaps it's the USAir market that is different, or perhaps Diana is more fortunate than I am, but fares from the northeast on AA for travel to the Caribbean for June 15-August 15 have generally been pretty high for the last 5 years.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:11 AM

I would say that since ej has more experience with checking for travel during the time period you are looking at, give her advice much more credence than mine.

I travel solely from April-May, October-November and December.

btw, ej, they removed my response to you about the Cozumel "Attack of the Killer Man O War." Short answer - I'm OK!
Feb 2nd, 2006, 09:57 AM

Diana, I can't believe your post on the Man O' War was deleted! Thanks for the update. I thought they were more Pacific and Indian Oceans dwellers--I've read about a few recent incidents in Australia. I hear the pain is excuricating, so poor you!
Feb 2nd, 2006, 10:08 AM

I was surprised it got taken off too.

I also did not know they were found in the Caribbean. I got lucky because only my left hand was stung. (I had on a full wetsuit.)

It did hurt very badly, and I cannot imagine having been stung on more of my body than I was. The tentacles got wrapped around my hand when I was getting back on the boat. It took literally weeks to heal and I had a scar for months and months afterward.

I pay attention now getting into the dive boats - they like to hang out underneath and they are hidden by the boat as they let their tentacles hang down to feed.

I guess people that have died probably did not have a wetsuit on and were stung much worse than I was. Not fun.
Feb 2nd, 2006, 12:35 PM

I don't know if any of you have attempted to use www.flycheapabroad.com but they have a fare from Detroit to Turks and Caicos for $420 for June 20-28! Good price.

We have used them before and had very good luck with them. The carrier is never listed, but times and layovers are. Take that information, go to Travelocity.com type in the same dates, and see which flight matches your posted fare from flycheapabroad, and voila...you have your carrier information.

My entire family has used this site in the past...and will use this site in the future. Good luck.

~Karen
Feb 2nd, 2006, 01:10 PM
KVR

I am no expert on T & C, but we just booked a packaged out of DFW for May on beachdestinations.com at an amazing price: $1,850.48 for the both of us. We are staying at the Sibonne for 6 nights. The airline is Spirit Air.