How Can SkyAuctions be true?

Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:04 AM
Grace

How Can SkyAuctions be true?

I have done some research here and am looking for the "fine print" What is on my mind is "If it is too good to be true..it is"

I have found a trip for two to any of the Grand Lidos for $994 for two adults, 7 nights

It is at $604 with a "surcharge" of $195/pp

Travel dates have to be between now and December, but it still seems "too good to be true"
Any thoughts?

Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Tom

I have gotten trips on SkyAuction and it has been a great experience.
Some dates aren't available but I've never had a problem.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:45 AM
Jan

We just got back from a trip I won on Skyauction.com to Cancun at the Grand Oasis. Everything they promised in the auction we got. You do not know what kind of connections you will have until you win the auction. We had connecting flights through Huston which we would not have picked had we made our own arrangements but the price was right. Now we leave for Grand Cayman in October also from Skyauction.com and we are looking forward to it.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:47 AM
zzz

I have a friend who flies to New Zealand from the east coast of the US twice a year and always gets her tickets off SkyAuction. She really sings their praises.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:09 PM
Mariarosa

I have used Skyauction twice and I have been pleased. Be aware, however, that bidding frenzy tends to occur in the last hour. I have been interested in some auctions where the price in the last hour raised beyond what I would have found through airline consolidators and specials (such as AA's 35% off sales). As long as you don't get caught in the bidding frenzy, you can do quite well.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:27 PM
Mariarosa

sorry about that, it should say "was raised". I'm trying to type too fast.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 12:49 PM
Patty

Grace,
Looks like that auction is still over 3 days away from closing so the $604 current price would not be a good indicator of the closing price. Many people will wait until the last hour or so and you'd be surprised how much the price can be bid up during that time. If you don't have experience with travel auction sites, it is best to just follow the auctions that you are interested for a couple of rounds before you bid. That way you can get a good idea of closing prices and bid activity. Plus they will usually offer the same or similar packages repeatedly.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 01:37 PM
xxx

We put our high bid in "autobid" and don't think about it again until the auction is over. We've won trips to FL & Cape Cod.

Aug 2nd, 2002, 07:37 PM
Will

Use the text search box to search for SkyAuction. There have been a fair number of comments on SkyAuction, mostly favorable.

Keep in mind the Grand Lidos have a couple of auctions per week. Don't get too excited, follow the auctions thru closing for at least 2 -3 weeks before you start bidding. Good luck!

Aug 2nd, 2002, 11:00 PM
Will

Use the text search box to search for SkyAuction. There have been a fair number of comments on SkyAuction, mostly favorable.

Keep in mind the Grand Lidos have a couple of auctions per week. Don't get too excited, follow the auctions thru closing for at least 2 -3 weeks before you start bidding. Good luck!

Aug 3rd, 2002, 09:17 AM
allen

I recently returned from my honeymoon and used Skyauction to add a few days in Antigua. I received everything stated in my skyauction win. I also got a free upgrade and champagne which was not expected. I saved 50% off the regular rate. As others have said, you should watch the bidding process for travel you are interested in before actually bidding. You can also check previous winning bids to get an idea of how much to bid. Also, it is true that people wait until the last hour to put in their bids. That is how I won. I used autobid and got notifications when I was outbidded. Finallly, I bidded a few dollars more than the previous bid during the last minute or so and won. I had a max price I was willing to pay and stuck to that.

Skyauction does work and I will use it again.

Aug 3rd, 2002, 11:04 AM
DianeG

As mentioned by previous posters - set the maximum price that you are willing to pay and don't get tempted to "win" by going over this limit. Do your research - I've seen folks pay way over what they would have elsewhere and I've seen some real deals go as well.

Do the math carefully tho: add the per person taxes and fee. If it's tickets, add the week-end departure surchage if that's when you want to fly. If you're leaving from another city, add the connection surchage.

I have, personally, been impressed by their customer service attitude. I have had a bid cancelled and had another not go through because the exact travel dates I wanted were not avalable. No charges incurred for these.

One of these days, I'll successfully bid on a travel product from them, with full confidence in my purchase.