Search

How are the beaches?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 07:59 AM
KMCM

How are the beaches?

I am thinking of honeymooning in St. Lucia and stay at the Hilton. Please let me know how the beaches are and the water.

Old Jun 4th, 2002, 03:57 PM
anon

Compared to the rest of the Caribbean I would say they are mediocre.

Old Jun 6th, 2002, 04:58 PM
Shannon

Just got back from St. Lucia - the beach at the Hilton is very lovely - situated in between the two Pitons with imported white sand, beautiful clear water, and a lovely coral reef with lots of beautiful fish - great for snorkeling!There is a beach side restaurant, as well as "beach service", and several "tiki huts" if you need shade. We preferred Ladera, where we stayed, but felt the beach at the Hilton was much nicer than Anse Chastanet - even though it was nice to spend a day there as well. The beach at Anse Chastanet has black volcanic sand, which gets very hot, is crowded with boats, and the snorkeling is not as good. It does, however, have a "secret beach" that you can go to if you brave the long rock climb! The Hilton was much nicer and had better services. It also has a pool - I didn't see one at Anse Chastanet.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 06:34 AM
sheila

If you are looking for the beautiful white powdery beaches - this is not the island. Very lush and tropical though.Stayed at Rendezvous (two big thumbs down!)and beach was uninviting.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:39 AM
Susan

Susan -what was wrong with it?!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:51 AM
mary

The water color in St. Lucia is very dark. Think Great Lakes but only clearer and cleaner. There are only a few of spots with some turquoise coloring. The natural beaches are a darker sand - also similar to the great lakes beaches.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Marti

I've not been to St. Lucia, we are going this November, but just wanted to chime in, I understand the beaches are not the most exceptional in the Carribean, but remember that this is a very lush island, you'll get a rainforest and a volcano, and hopefully a very nice pool at your hotel! Everything is a tradeoff, and I was willing to trade off the huge beach for a cool island to explore. Hope you have fun wherever you decide!!

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 08:46 AM
mary

Marti: You're right, it is a trade-off. Have been there twice and explored lots. More to do in the north though.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 10:08 AM
Julie

The water at the jalousie hilton is turquoise! Was there in dec. 01.