Search

Beaches in St. Lucia

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2004, 05:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Beaches in St. Lucia

How are the beaches in St. Lucia. We may stay at Hilton for 5 nights- any other fabulous places we should go for last 3 nights?
Old May 1st, 2004, 06:01 AM

Geographically speaking St.Lucia is a fabulous island with many things to do - however, beaches are not their strong suit. The beach in Rodney Bay - Reduit bEach, lots of hotels and great little town with restaurants and friendliest people on the island. The Hilton (Jalousie yes?) is WOW!! But the beach is pebbly....but the water is so clear to the bottom and the spot is breathtaking amongst the Pitons...WOW - So if you have to leave the Jalousie and stay somewhere else head north to Reduit Beach and Rodney Bay and stay at one of the great hotels there!!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:46 PM

It depends what you want - it's true that the best conventional white sand beaches beaches are in the north, but if you're looking for something a little more private and less touristy, the South of the island is also really beautiful...I recommend Balenbouche Estate www.balenbouche.com as a place to visit or spend a night (historic plantation guesthouse, excellent food, very secluded small black sand beaches), and the Anse de Sables beach in Vieux Fort which is a long white sand beach with excellent wind and kitesurfing and beach bars. While you're at the Hilton, make sure to visit the nearby Anse Chastanet resort -great scuba diving!
Enjoy your trip!
Old May 3rd, 2004, 02:57 PM

Verena, will be at Jalousie in July for 2 weeks. Are the Viex Fort beach bars and Balanbouch Rest. ok for children 7 and 9 or is it rowdy?
Is there a jump up nearby the Hilton that is good for a family? Any good restaurants in Soufriere? Finally we are trying to figure out a good fish/burger shack near the Hiltona and on the drive to Castries (like in St. John---Skinny Legs) since we are there for two weeks with a family.
Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2004, 02:46 PM

Desperate to know where the best fish shacks are to eat----clean and near the Hilton and within driving distance?

Anyone help me?
Old May 7th, 2004, 11:04 PM

Once you're in Soufriere there aren't a lot of beach shack kind of places. In town there are several small restaurants that serve the locals, and they're good but not easy to get to, especially at night. Local food is sort of the bad dot in an awesome area, around Soufriere. The thing not to miss is Bang!, which is next to the Hilton. On Wednesday's they have a great show with samba and flame eaters and such. It's hosted by Lord Glenconner, a cousin of Queen Elizabeth. Don't miss! Be sure to go to the "manager's receptions" at La Dera, Anse and the Hilton. They have them on different nights. The food is good, inexpensive and you meet the vacationers from the reepective hotels.
We were at anse and the beach was awesome! Clean white sand. The reef is about twenty yards off-shore with tons of coral and colorful fish.
Scotty beam me there now!
Old May 8th, 2004, 07:23 AM

Ooops Scotty, Anse (Chastenet) is the silver/grey/black natural sand beach. Jalousie Hilton has the white sand beach (imported) both are marine reserves with snorkeling and scuba diving off shore.

croix,
It is true, Soufreire is not your typical tourist town with traditional fish shack type stops like you will find on St.John.
You will find stops that are set up on the roads by locals that serve various items/food/drinks. I don't think they have names though?

In Soufriere, 15-20min ride away this is a list of restaurants and local eats that are in the area.

Camilla's Restaurant & Cockatail
Bar...Int'l/Creale/Gourmet(right in town)

Dasheene...Califorian/Caribbean

Hummingbird Beach Resort...French/Creole

The Old Court House...Creole/French/South-East Asian (right in town)

La Haut Plantation...Creole

The Still Restaurant...West Indian/Creole/Seafood

Mango Tree Restaurant @ Stonefield Estates...varied St.Lucian specialties, Thursday night for Bar-B-Que specials and the traditional shak,shak band. Complimentary rum punch with dinner. Check this out for sure as this is info. from 2001. Very close to the Hilton. Also stunning sunsets and view of Piton. 5:30-6:30pm

Anse Chastenet also has a good Restaurant, Water taxi 5 min away great place to stop for lunch, snorkeling, and hiking, or there biking on the plantation property next door.

Mago Estate Hotel Restaurant and Bar...

La Mirage Restaurant and Guest House...Home-cooked continental Creole

More locals eats,

Capt. Hooks

Archie's

and of course "Bang" name changing to Cafe Beau's sp/?. This is right next to the Pier Restaurant at the Jalousie.

Lord Glenconnor, was the creator and owner of the Jalousie, now CO-owned with the Hilton and St.Lucia. He now runs and operates "Bang." He is and was a long time friend of Princess Margaret, at one time dated her. He was also the "Man that bought Mystique"

Have fun,
Donna
Old May 8th, 2004, 04:56 PM

Ktebe----and Sailor, Thanks a bunch for the wealth of info. Sounds like Soufiere is not the best place for taking children and getting a burger rather Creole. I am very ok with Creole, but my children might not love it. I wish there is a place that locals and tourists go in Soufriere that may have some Continental food to suit the children, but sounds like that may be a stretch.

This is SO fun building up to a trip and I appreciate very much your responses. Half of the fun for us is building up to the trip, dreaming about it and having an open mind wherever we go!!!

Croix.
Old May 8th, 2004, 06:11 PM

croix, no need to worry, the people in St.Lucia are very accomodating. I would imagine most places will have something that will suit the children.

The Old Court House, and Hummingbird are two popular spots. The Old Court House is right on the water in the center town. So is the Hummingbird, on the water, in a small resort setting a bit more on the outskirts of town.

Ask the front desk at the Hilton or the taxi/guides at the entrance (Jalousie) for other good suggestions.

Donna
Old May 8th, 2004, 09:58 PM

Croix, you are in for a grand time! Last year we spent a week at Anse and a week at the Royal Saint Lucian near Castries. Next time we go we'll spend the majority of the vacation in Soufriere. There are so many things to do in the south. We visited the local volcano (the guide who met us there was extremely knowledgable), the old French plantation where we took a mineral bath, a waterfall in the rainforest (bring your bathing suit) and hiked the Pitons. And all that doesn't compare to the swimming/snorkeling. Be sure to boat over to the reef at Anse, it's outstanding.
I agree, the locals were very friendly. We never felt unsafe, although there was a string I read before we left about a Hilton guest who left the room safe open and lost everything. She suspected the maid. Commone sense rules.
The food was the only "C" in a land of A-plusses. Seems like there's really good and not. Dashee at La Dera was excellent but the restaurant at Anse was awefully bland, at best. And all the hotel restaurants are expensive. Our driver (Aton was his name) brought us to the grocery store in town so we could buy food and that worked great.
I know what you mean about the anticipation, my wife and I are on our way to Turks and Caicos for ten days in June. First time there and we can't wait.
Kinda long, sorry. Have fun!
Old Jun 1st, 2004, 11:23 AM

We stayed at the newest Sandals resort in Oct 2002 and found the water was clean but not the bright, clear blue you expect to see in the Carribbean. If you are looking for out-of-this-world beaches try Turks and Caicos or St John.