Search

Hotels in San Juan

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotels in San Juan

I've been reading the posts about hotels in San Juan- and I have yet another question. We're going to be in Puerto Rico for 5 days with the goal of total relaxation. We want plenty of beach time but also want to go to Old San Juan (or other areas for restaurants, shopping, etc.) without too much of a production. Right now we're deciding between Normandie Hotel, the Condado and the Embassy Suites, San Juan.

Any thoughts or advice on which to choose? Thanks
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 04:53 AM

Based on my personal research it appears that your selection of hotels are considered to be apart of the Old San Juan area. There is a beach there (El Escambron Beach). However, what seems to be nicer beaches are slightly further away in Condado and Isla Verde. These two beach areas have most of the beachfront hotel properties and these areas do not appear to be much of a commute to the Old San Juan area. In fact, they seem to be 5 - 6 miles away. Go to http://maps.google.com/ and use your mouse to move the map around to see Puerto Rico, keep clicking on the words "Puerto Rico" then "San Juan" until you get a close up map of the area. Yu can select "hypbrid" on the top right corner to get a photo view. Again, use your mouse to drag the map from left to right, etc. and get an idea of the distance, beach sizes, etc. Notice the beach by the Condado Hotel (El Escambron Beach)is not very big. Hope it helps!!! My wife and I are going in April. - Ken
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 07:38 AM

We just returned from 4 days in San Juan. We stayed at the Caribe Hilton. It is truly a resort hotel. We looked at the Normandie and the Condado while we were there and the Hilton seemed far superior to us. We went in to Old San Juan for dinner and it was a $10 taxi ride and about 5-10 min. One day we walked in - nice walk along the sea and about 3 miles. Another day we took the local bus - the stop is very close to the hotel and costs $.50 for seniors and $.75 for adults. The hotel grounds/pools were so beautiful we spent more time there than in OSJ.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 08:13 AM

Here's a recommendation off the beaten path -- have you heard of the Numero Uno Guest House? My brother was married here last year -- on the beach! It's a special place, with a great restaurant and private location on the beach. The hotel staff went out of there way to make our stay perfect! There's a great deli and bakery down the street too ;-)
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 09:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
no, no - these hotels are not in Old San Juan. Normandie is closest to Old San Juan. The Condado Plaza is, obviously, in Condado and the Embassy Suites is in Isla Verde. Out of the three you have chosen, I would definitely go with the Condado Plaza. Embassy Suites is not on the beach. COndado Plaza is on the ocean, although on a breakwall so no real beach right in front of it. However, if you walk a little ways down, there is a good stretch of beach. It is a short cab ride from Condado to Old San Juan.
Old Feb 16th, 2007, 05:36 PM

We are also going to PR for 6 days with the goal of relaxing and getting out of the cold. Any info on the Water Beach Club Hotel? Have you decided where you are going to stay?
Old Feb 18th, 2007, 04:43 AM

We just came back from PR and spent the last night of our stay in the Condado Plaza Hotel. We really disliked it. The doorman watched me struggle to get my bag through the door, and seemed to think it was amusing. Half the hotel is under construction. A large part of the main reception floor is empty, as if a restaurant failed and hasn't been replaced. This means that the prime eating location, overlooking the Atlantic, is completely empty. There's a vast expanse of empty concrete behind locked glass doors.

The "beach" is a spit of land that ends (and I am not making this up) at the highway overpass. There is a constant roar of planes, since you're on the flight path. Really, there is absolutely nothing to recommend this hotel. Don't do it!

Stay in Old San Juan instead, for a day or two. From there, rent a car, and drive away from the metropolitan area. We stayed in Guanica at the Copamarina resort, and loved it. Not too exciting, but beautiful, quiet, restful, perfect. The drive from San Juan along the main road was about two hours, and the main roads are very good. It was total relaxation at this resort. The beach is not good --it's a bay -- but the pools are wonderful. You can easily arrange scuba/snorkel trips from the dive shop there. We were content to sit under the palm thatched umbrellas, or in the cabanas, or by the pool and be amazed at the gorgeous views. This place is perfect if you want total relaxation with spectacular views, and not a lot of distractions in the guise of "entertainment." There's also a spa!

We did not make it to the west coast, but that's our next destination.

Don't be put off by the thought of driving around the island. The whole island is the size of Connecticut so you CAN get anywhere you want.

We would definitely NOT go back to the Condado, and in fact never heard anything particularly goodabout the NE coast of the island in general. Our advice: rent a car and head away from San Juan after you see Old San Juan, especially if you want relaxation and not night life.

We loved Puerto Rico -- you're going to have a great time!! Please tell us all how it went!
Old Feb 21st, 2007, 01:41 PM
PackedAndReadytoGo

We are renting an apartment in a building on the beach in Condado (beside the Marriott). Perhaps you should research the various rental websites and find a place on the beach in Condado as it is close to OSJ, shopping, restaurants, etal. We are paying $585 for 6 nites. We got a 800 sqft 1 bdrm. However, this seems to be rare as this price usually is for a studio apt. with beach front views. Still worthwhile!

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:55 AM

We are going to San Juan in a couple of weeks, and staying just one night before taking a cruise from there. We have reservations at the El San Juan Hotel, but I hear they are undergoing renovations...Has anyone stayed there, or know anything about this, whether noise is a problem?

Also, we are debating whether to explore El Yunque on our own, or with a post-cruise tour. Any advice on which way to better spend our time?

(We will arrive in San Juan in the afternoon, and plan to spend that first afternoon/evening in Old San Juan. Our next day could be either El Yunque, or laying on the beach. Our ship does not depart San Juan until 8pm that night.)

Thanks for any tips you can offer!