Search

hotels in bermuda

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hotels in bermuda

if you sould only stay at the south hampton princess or the wyndhan resort which would you choose?
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 05:27 PM
Original Poster

sould is could
Old Jan 25th, 2005, 06:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Have you been to Bermuda? I have stayed at the Southhampton Princess and it is a very nice hotel. The beach is down the hill and you need to shuttle down to it. I would say it was probably more upscale than the new Wyndam. The Wyndam is the old Sonesta which definitely needed upgrading. The Wyndam is closed I believe for a period of time to upgrade the property. This property is down below the princess and has it's own little cove. I was thinking of trying the new Wyndam to see if it has improved. I like being on the water vs. on the hill. I would give it a little time to work out their kinks though. When do you plan to go?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 06:22 AM
Original Poster

I've been to Bermuda before and stayed at the sonesta. we emjoyed it very much. You can either walk to the beach or take a shuttle. Now they will have an infinity pool and new spa. I will be using my american express points so I can stay at eihter one. I'm concerned that they won't be done with the renovations by julyand I have heard nice things about the princess. should I cnance the wyndham?
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:26 AM

Can you hold reservations on both? The Wyndam website said that the bermuda location is closed till April 1. That should be plenty of time before July. I would think by July, there would be only minor things being done. Since summer is their high season, I am assuming they would want to be fully operational by June 1.
Does the Amex pts guarantee a type of room? Maybe this would hold you a better room in case there is construction going on. When we went to a Marriott in Aruba last year, we were staying on pts. A regular room was all we would be promised. As we pulled up to the hotel, there was some big construction project on the right side of the hotel. I am a very light sleeper. When assigned our room, I asked to be on the left side of the hotel. Guess where our original room assignment was? (on the right). They changed us to the left and I never saw or heard anything. You may want to ask to not be near any construction because you are also a light sleeper. I don't know what to tell you. If you are a beach person, go for the Wyndam. It is much more convenient. I like the Reefs next door to the Wyndam. Good luck choosing and let me know which one you do choose!
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 07:39 AM

how about elbow beach? i personally like it better than the southampton princess.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:06 PM
Original Poster

if I stay at the wyndham or the south hampton princess I can use my american express points. I could request a room away from the construction
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:22 PM

If you use your AMEX points, DO NOT reserve a "Fairmont" room. This is the standard reward room. We used our AMEX points for that standard room category and were placed over the restaurant airshaft where cooking odors from the exhaust pored into our room for several days. If you opened the balcony door, you could have stepped out onto a rubber roof enclosed on all four sides by the laundry, 2 guest towers and some other building-complete darkness. When we asked to switch because you could barely breathe in the room we were told no. We previously stayed at this hotel in a deluxe oceanfront room and that made all the difference. This wasn't a case of "you get what you pay for"(used points) because no one could have tolerated those unsanitary conditions. We did enjoy the other aspects of the SH Princess. Have fun! Threehearts
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 04:28 PM

singer: I think you have your heart set on the Wyndam. It sounds like threehearts got stiffed on an amex reward room. I would hold a room at the wyndam and when you arrive ask to be away from any construction.
Old Jan 26th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

thanks for the advice. I think I will do that. beth