which is the best hotel in bermuda

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning a bermuda trip in June. We are in our mid 30s- no kids yet. We are looking for something high end where we can be pampered and enjoy the hopefully wonderful weather. Great service, great hotel, great grounds. Any suggestions?
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 02:16 PM

Hey Mamby -

My husband and i (35 & 32) were in Bermuda last July and loved a small inn called The Granaway www.granaway.com It was just outside Hamilton, good location for scootering to just about everywhere (centrally located). The owners are delightful and the property has very pretty gardens and a lovely pool. Although there were other guests (we had breakfast with them daily) we felt as though we had the place to ourselves. They're too small to offer spa services, but we thoroughly enjoyed this place. You can check it out and see what others suggest and decide. Also Elbow Beach Hotel was very nice. www.mandarinoriental.com/bermuda/ we ate dinner there one night. Trish
Old Apr 22nd, 2004, 04:28 PM

I'm very picky about hotels and have stayed in plenty of the world's best. Bermuda does not have what I'd call a world class hotel. Plenty of good ones, nothing on par with a typical Four Seasons resort type hotel. The quality of the service in the better hotels in Bermuda surpasses that which is available in most of the Caribbean's better hotels. But the room quality, furniture quality, bathroom amenities etc is still a notch below outstanding.
I don't wish to diminish Bermuda's charm with these comments. It's a great island...one of the best island destinations in the Western Hemisphere. And maybe that's part of the reason no one has bothered to spend the $$$ to build a really expensive top notch luxury hotel. People still flock to Bermuda regardless.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your posts. Traveleis, I understand your point, but having said that, which hotel(s) would you say is the best. I understand I won't get Four Seasons (and that is the type of hotel we would be looking for), but keeping that it mind, whichdo you feel comes closest to that?
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:25 AM
bosco

Mamby:

I've been to Bermuda twice and would only stay at The Reefs. It's been consistently rated one of the top small hotels in the entire caribbean and atlantic region. It's a small, intimate hotel with 3 restaurants, an infinity pool and outdoor jacuzzi and an indoor spa. Food is amazing and if you reserve early, you and your husband can dine directly on the beach. Very romantic. The service is excellent and everyone is extremely friendly. Also, The Reefs just dropped the jackets only policy for dinner. It's now all casual. The beach is small compared to some of the larger hotels, but it's nice an quiet and the bartender will bring you drinks on the beach. If you're interested in checking this out, go for either a Junior Suite or the Longtail Suite.

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:37 AM

Bermuda is one of my favorite islands.
We have been there too many times to count! For us it all about the islands we go too, then the hotel. We love the beaches, the gardens, the sand, the beauty and charm of this sophisticated little gem. Great restaurants, lots to see and do. No Four Seasons, no Cap Juluca, but lots of nice choices. I would look into The Reef, even the Elbow Beach, and Cambridge Beachs or Ariel Sands, Horizons! The Bermuda Department of Tourism has a wondeful info, check out their site!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:17 AM

I agree with penny,

Penny, we vacationed, many times in Bermuda, from our honeymoon at Ariel Sands to the Reef, but many, many a moons ago. I am looking for a resort that we fell upon while mopeding around. It was on a peninsula surrounded by beautiful water, beach and little cottages. The only thing I can come up with is that it was Cambridge Cottages, but from recent pictures, it just doesn't seem like that was the place we stopped at?

Do you know of any other place in Bermuda that would fit that same description?

Donna
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:33 AM

Donna my first thought was Cambridge Beach Cottages, maybe Pompano Beach.
Use to be a small yellow hotel, cottages by one of the ferry landings called Lantana, now closed. Also Glen Coe-now condos. BTW Ariel Sands has a wonderful restaurant Agua. Hope this helps!
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 10:15 AM

Thanks penny, I know it wasn't Pampano, and Cambridge's pictures are just not fitting. Maybe, is was that Lantana that closed? It was such a little ideal location, we always had wanted to go back a stay there! Oh well! Thanks for your help. I think I saved a brouchure from the place, don't laugh, 28 years ago? Now, all I need to do is find it!!!

Donna
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 02:14 PM

Donna you sound like me! LOL Do you remember which end of the island-Pink Beach has cottages, they are in Tuckers Town. They are not on a pennisula-but have 2 beaches. Munroe Cottages are not far from Cambridge! We have moped all over the island, so now you have me stumped.
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:18 PM
sp

Pompano Beach Resort all the way. I am going in June and cannot wait! Pompano and The Reefs are always the 2 favourites. Pompano has everything you are asking for. The service cannot be beat - always top-notch, friendly service. The owners are always there and will even give you a ride over to the bus stop or ferry - which is just a few minutes away. That is one thing I like better about Pompano compared to The Reefs. Pompano is far away enough from the main road that you are so secluded - there is no road noise and you feel like you are in your own little world, but at The Reefs, you are right next to the main road (you will always hear scooters whipping by). The location at Pompano will take your breath away. It is located on a very calm bay - you can even use pool noodles in the ocean. It is a huge sandbar - the water is crystal clear and waist deep hundreds of yards out. It actually feels like you are in an enormous pool. They also have a watersports centre (kayaks, paddleboats - not jet skis). The dining is fabulous (sunsets are incredible) - you can get the breakfast and dinner plan - which is 5 courses. They also have a spa, which now includes a hot-rock massage! A golf course is right next door if that interests you. The rooms are not motel-like, it's a cluster of cottages so it has a nice Bermuda feel. Their website doesn't really do it justice (pompanobeach.bm) - have them send you a brochure for a better look. Go to tripadvisor.com and see the reviews (a lot of extremely happy people!) It is the ultimate in a romantic getaway.
Old Apr 25th, 2004, 03:46 PM

I would choose Cambridge Beaches. It is a lovely cottage colony with a great beach.It is quiet and classy.
If you prefer to be closer to Hamilton, the Fairmont Hamilton Gold room is a good choice. The rooms are lovely and the service great. With the Gold room amenities, you get internet access, continental breakfast, all day snacks and an honor bar.There is also a lovely lounge reminsicant of the Queen's room on the QE2. You can walk from the hotel to town.
You will love Bermuda. It is beautiful!
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 09:11 AM

Penny, thanks again for your ideas. If I stumped you, I guess I needed to dig my stuff up! I did it! All I can say is boy, has Cambridge Beaches, should, I say GROWN up, LOL. I found an aerial view post card we picked up at the time and the comparison to the pictures now are quiet different. But this was the place we fell in love with, Cambridge Beaches!
Have you every stayed at Cambridge?

Thanks,
Donna
Old Apr 27th, 2004, 02:08 PM

No sailor I have never stayed at Cambridge Beaches. We have been staying for many years at The Surfside Beach Club. Its home to us! I do check out some of the other spots, but we still enjoy its location.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 05:50 AM

The Reefs - definitely The Reefs. We just returned from a vacation there in April. Our first time at the hotel, but not in Bermuda. We have stayed at many places - Newstead, Hamiliton Princess, Horizons and Cottages and Pompano. The Reefs is right on the water with their own private beach and wonderful views of sunsets. It is small - only 67 rooms - and the service is extremely friendly and attentive. We found the food to be superb (one of the reasons we did not return to Pompano - its lovely location notwithstanding.) The rooms, while not in the Four Seasons category, are comfortable and well-appointed. There is a moped rental office directly across the street. We loved it and plan to return. Horizons is lovely and one of our favorites, but it is not on the water. You can see the ocean from Horizons, but not the exquisite turquoise color that you can see from The Reefs. There is a reciprocal arrangement with the Coral Beach Club to use their beach. It is down the hill and across the street from Horizons and something of a hike. The beach is also more populated than the one at the Reefs because it is next door to Elbow Beach.
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

None of you have mentioned the Fairmont Southampton -- is that not up to par?
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 01:39 PM

I have dined at The Southampton princess, years ago used their tennis courts, never stayed there. It does
get good write ups but for me it is very out of character for the island of Bermuda, a high rise hotel, always reminded me of all the corporate meetings I attend, and not what Bermuda
represents. It really depends what you are looking for. It does have its own 9 hole golf course, and beach. The beach is actually accross the street. It has just recently reopened as hurricane Fabian did a lot of water damage to the roof etc,
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 03:10 PM

The REEFS, hands down!!
Old Apr 29th, 2004, 07:19 PM
ang

i have lived in Bermuda for eight years and try to go back every year or two. in Hamilton, the princess is the matriarch. i have never stayed at the waterloo house(right down the street from the princess) but it looks nice. the reefs is also very nice with their own beach, but the location, i dont think is as good as elbow beach. i havent stayed at elbow in a few years. i know they renovated again. luckily, the bermuda bus system is so handy that if you stayed at the reefs or at one of the other properties on the far end of the island that other posters mentioned i.e. cambridge or lantana,it would be easy to get into town. i think it depends on what you want. i would rather not be so far from hamilton as the previous places.Bermuda is the best island in my opinion because it is clean and extremely safe.every part is beautiful.
Old Apr 30th, 2004, 05:17 AM

Hi, you will not believe the struggle it took to get here, however here I am!

My intended and I will also be travelling to Bermuda on honey moon. As we're both divers we plan include some scuba along with relaxing at the most comfortable and romantic resorts whilst wizzing off to Hamilton now and again.

The accommodation I have found so far is Astwood Cove, Rosedon, and Munroe.
So far I think we may have to spend a few nights at two places to accommodate.

However never been to Bermuda before, this will be our first and we want it to be really special. Again 30 something no children, for a while any way.

Advice welcome.

Thanks

Paul

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -