Hotel Kura Hularda rooms

Search

Hotel Kura Hularda rooms

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel Kura Hularda rooms

Would appreciate advice about rooms in the Hotel Kura Hulanda in Curacao (the one in town, not the beach lodge). We like big open spaces, king size beds, light airy feeling. What type of room should we choose, and does anyone know what the spa loft suites are like?
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 07:10 PM

My husband and I stayed at the Kura Hulanda two years ago and loved it. The room we had was pretty much by itself, almost like a little suite.
It had a king size bed too. We were near the freshwater pool not the eco pool if that helps. I believe you will love it at Kura Hulanda!
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 03:32 PM
Original Poster

Sorry about typo in header - I meant Hulanda.

Do you remember the class of room you had? They have deluxe rooms, superior rooms, junior suites, spa loft suites, one- and two-bedroom suites, a presidential suite and a bridal suite, but the website is not very clear about room descriptions -- they all sound the same.
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 07:05 PM

Sorry I don't remember the class of room, but it was only attached to another room and if you can explain to them that this is a room that is attached to one other room and it had french doors that opened up to a walkway and it was right near the fresh water pool - there was a lot of greenery around too. - I will look and see if I have any of my info from the trip and I will email you back tomorrow.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:28 AM

I stayed in a regular (deluxe) room, but I peeked into some FABULOUS rooms when the windows/shutters were open and no one appeared to be inside. Definitely upgrade if you can! I don't know what category of rooms I was looking at--but they were surely beautiful, and couldn't begin to compare with the room that I was staying in (which was quite nice for a standard room, by the way). The rooms that I saw had cathedral ceilings, I think. We were hoping for a complimentary upgrade (as members of the Leading Hotels of the World), but no such luck, even though the hotel didn't seem to be completely full.

I loved this unique hotel, and would welcome the opportunity to stay there again. The restaurants were excellent (Jaipur, Astrolab), and we liked the nightly drink specials at Jacob's Bar. The pools were pretty, although really small, but there never seemed to be a problem getting one of the few beach chairs (except for the two that were perched on the rocks/waterfall). The museum was interesting, as was the entire property itself.
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 12:04 PM

Hello,
My husband and I are considering spending our 4 year anniversary in Curacao. The reviews I have read from you all about the Hotel Kura Hulanda sound FANTASTIC. I checked out their website and it is very difficult to get a grasp on which room we should book.. Also can anyone tell me about the beach? Is it rocky? Would you suggest travelling in late August which is when we are considering going? Thanks so much for any help you can give!
P.S. KeyGal did you already go? When are you looking to travel? Thanks for starting this thread!
Old Jul 6th, 2006, 07:54 AM

weneedavac:

There is NO beach at the Hotel Kura Hulanda because it is in the city of Willemstad. The do provide a complimentary shuttle to a section of beach that they own between the Marriott and the Hilton. I don't remember it being particularly rocky, nor was it particularly memorable. But it is a beach, and you can pop over to either of the previosly mentioned hotels for lunch or drinks. I think the shuttle took about 10-15 minutes. I'm a HUGE beach person, but I thought that the Hotel was so special and memorable that I was willing to give up direct access.

Kura Hulanda now operates a Lodge property as well, which is ON the beach on the ?northern end of the island (near Klein Knip, I think). They were just building it when I visited last Feb/Mar (2005), but we did view the construction. Some other posters mention splitting their time between the Hotel and the Lodge, which I think is an excellent idea if you are staying on Curacao for more than a few days. Although I haven't been to the Lodge, I'm sure it's as great as the Hotel.

Travelling in August shouldn't present a problem weather-wise, since the ABCs fall outside of the most active hurricane zone. I don't think the average temperature varies that much from winter to summer, but I'm not an expert.
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to Momilyn & Fluffnfold for the additional info about the rooms. You've described exactly the kind of room we like.

WeneedaVaca (love the handle): That is EXACTLY my frustration with their website. They have pictures of different rooms but you can't tell which is which, and the written descriptions are all almost identical! My travel agent is going to call them Monday and ask about the different suites. If she gets any additional info, I'll definitely post it here.

We're going at the beginning of September, which is probably pretty much the same as August. We're going to Kura for just 2-3 days in the middle of our 9-day trip to Aruba because we've never been to Curacao, and Kura seems like a good way to get at least a taste of it. If we were staying in Curacao the whole time, we'd want to be at the lodge, but we'll be on the beach in Aruba. Hotel Kura seems like a nice diversion and I'm especially excited about their museums.

We've been going to Aruba in early September for about 5 years. I think it's a great time to go. It's low season, it's not crowded, and we've always had perfect weather except for the year we got sideswiped by Hurricane Ivan. Those fantastic breezes keep the heat from becoming oppressive. (I'm assuming the weather is pretty much the same in Curacao.)
Old Jul 12th, 2006, 04:28 PM
Iza

KeyGal, has your agent had any luck with the information on the rooms at Kura Hulanda?

We will be staying there for 3 nights beginning July 28 (followed by 5 nights at the Kura Hulanda Beach Lodge). I would love to request specific rooms but like you, I am totally confused about the different categories...
Old Jul 13th, 2006, 04:55 AM

I was at the lodge in early June and there were always breezes so it should be fine there in August and September too. The beach is very very rocky so be sure to pack water shoes.

I was able to email the manager with some questions I had so perhaps you can do the same to find out the info you need about the rooms at the in-town property. On their website, I just clicked the "contact us" area to get the email.

Iza, for the Lodge we were in what is called the eco area. I would not recommend it as it was across the parking lot from the lobby. It was clean and nice, and new, but I would have preferred the other area. (One large king bed, and not much else would fit into the space we had.) However we were never in our room so we decided not to request a change once we were settled in. I posted a trip report here earlier with more information.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:49 AM
Iza

Thanks for the helpful replies everyone. We have booked a deluxe room at the hotel for 3 nights and an ocean front 1 bedroom suite at the lodge for 5 nights, starting 7/28. I am really looking forward to this vacation, especially after reading the most recent reviews of the Lodge on tripadvisor.com. We like spending time in our room (or actually on the balcony or terrace, if there is one) so I can't wait for the ocean front one at the Lodge.
Does anyone know what the situation is with topless bathing at the Lodge, given the fact that it is frequented by Europeans?
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 12:55 PM

The beach is very very small. At the far right as you face the water (farthest from the beach grill) there were several topless sunbathers. Also, at that spot, there is a lage rock formation that you can walk around leading to an even more private sandy nook large enough for one couple. You can even drag a beach lounger there so long as you bring it back around. Have a wonderful time.