Search

Honeymoon Safety?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Safety?

I have spent endless hours of researching and weighing all of my options. I really seem to be leaning towards one of the couple resorts, either Negril or Swept Away. While doing my research I have noticed alot of postings about safety concerns while in Jamaica and alot of horror stories to be honest. I am not nieve in any way and realize that crime happens anywhere in the world. But if I am shelling out money I want to make sure that me and my wife to feel safe and secure? We would definetely like to explore any island that we go too, but it seems as if alot of people on here are discouraging it. Is it safe during the day and unsafe at nighttime? I would really appreciate any input to these questions that I have posted. Thank you so much for taking your time to help me and other people who post questions. The one forum that really concerned me was 7 years old, this is why I pose this question now....to see if things have changed. Thanks again. Any information would be helpful.

[email protected]

Old Apr 24th, 2004, 09:00 PM

I have been to Swept Away twice and I can assure you that you will feel safe. I went to a non AI last year and felt just as safe. We walked the beach every night and never felt threatened at all. Swept Away is a wonderful place for a honeymoon and I prefer the beach there to all the other beaches I have visited in the Caribbean. There are several good tour companies or private drivers to help you with some exploring.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 09:05 PM

If you have never been to Jamaica< I can understand your concerns. For some unexplicable reason, folks who have never been to Jamaica love to post warnings on the internet.

I suggest continuing your research and decide for yourself. www.jamaicans.com is a wonderful place to get a good feel for travel to Jamaica.

My first trip there was also my honeymoon(Swept Away). I remember hearing and reading the same things as you say you are seeing. To answer your question about people's thoughts on safety, I have scheduled our next trip (this summer) to be non-A/I. IOW, we have reservations at an independent resort on the Beach in Negril. If I feared for our safety, I wouldn't do that.

As far as staying at an A/I (and in my opinion Couples Resorts are the best), security is absolutely not an issue, past watching your valuables and yourself, as you would in any other hotel in in other city.

We just returned from a trip to New Orleans....had a great time....but felt safer in Negril/Jamaica.
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 05:56 AM
cdt

I think that in Jamaica you will feel somewhat "safer" (or at least less hassled by people trying to sell you stuff) at an all-inclusive than at a non-inclusive.

In my opinion, the biggest drawback of the safety issue in Jamaica is that it really isn't advisable to rent a car and go exploring the countryside on your own. We like to do this on other islands. On the other hand, going on excursions with a group, or with your own driver, tends to be somewhat less expensive than many other islands.

There are just a few islands in the Caribbean where you can wander into almost any neighborhood, day or night, without worrying about safety. Jamaica isn't one of them.
However, it's a beautiful destination and safety concerns would not deter me from return visits.

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 03:44 PM
sks

For CDT... You mentioned that there are 'just a few' islands that are safe enough to wander around independently. Would you mind my asking which islands they are? Thank you!
Old Apr 26th, 2004, 04:19 PM
cdt

Well, sks, there are plenty of islands we haven't seen yet, but we did feel very safe on Virgin Gorda, Provo, and Tortola, for example. I've heard good things about Anguilla, Bonaire, and Grand Cayman, among others, but haven't experienced them myself.

It seems that in general, the safest islands are the least populous ones.

Also, just to be clear, I think you can "wander around independently" on MOST Caribbean islands, but in many cases you need to be at least a bit careful about certain neighborhoods and after-dark activities.

Old Apr 26th, 2004, 06:19 PM

I say screw Jamaica and go to St. John US Virgin Islands. Unless you are looking for an all inclusive deal, which Jamaiica has so many of. St. John is so romantic I'm planning to get married there. The beaches are fabulous and it's not nearly as cheesy as Jamaica.