Search

Jamaica Safety?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jamaica Safety?

Hi - we are thinking of renting a villa at Round Hill in Montego Bay to run away and get married. Someone told me that Jamaica in general these days is extremely unsafe and dangerous. Help! Any advice or comments would be GREAT!
Thank you in advance!
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 08:53 AM

The only part of Jamaica that is considered dangerous is the downtown Kingston area.

We were in JA for two weeks in August and all over the Negril and Ocho Rios area on foot and by car and never felt unsafe.

The Round Hill area is very safe and secure.

(My guess is that the "someone" who told you this has never been to Jamaica, but I could be way off base.)
Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 10:01 AM
cdt

In my opinion, you're relatively safe when at your resort, on an excursion where someone else is driving, or in the touristy area of MoBay during the daytime.

On the other hand, driving around the countryside on your own is generally not advised, and straying off the beaten path in MoBay isn't a good idea.

We like Jamaica and plan to return there, but there are other islands where one can be less concerned about safety.

Old Nov 22nd, 2004, 12:16 PM

Stick with a group when going out its much safer. We have been to Jamaica many time and never had a problem, but better safe then sorry!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 07:04 AM

Round Hill is about 10 minutes West of MoBay, upmarket and posh with superb security and a honeymoon place you'll probably not stray from. Should you
wish to go exploring outside Round Hill, Negril for a day for great beach
and Mayfields Falls are great destinations/ go with a guide/PPV insured driver from the resort or a private source like Carolyn Barrett
(www.barrettadventures.com). MoBay itself has few charms --- tho the Gallery of West Indian art is worth searching out (also online).
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 07:08 AM

For meals outside Round Hill, The Houseboat restaurant (10 min, in cruiseship port area), The Native on Gloucestershire/the 'hip' strip, and Tapas on Bogue Hill ... in Negril, Cosmo's for lunch, the 3Dives or Norma's for dinner, plus The Jungle for dancing on the wild side, post 1am...
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much to all that have replied. Anyone know what the weather is like in May? Any other suggestions about Montego Bay and Negril are appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Old Nov 23rd, 2004, 01:11 PM

Hi

You are staying at a fabulous resort - and you do not need to worry about Jamaica being unsafe and dangerous! As a Jamaican living in Jamaica, I can tell you - that the only place where some crime takes place is hundreds of miles away in the inner cities of Kingston. Crime on the north coast is almost unheard of, and Jamaicans love visitors!!

Just like anywhere that you may travel to, do the common sense things that you would practise...go out in a group, don't flash your money in a public place, etc. Just stop worrying and come on down - you are going to have a fab time!!

Tiverton House has given some amazing tidbits on what to do in your area. Don't forget the Appleton Estate Rum Tour - and the Black River Safari, ask your tour desk/agent to help you plan a day out!

Have fun....
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 05:37 AM

Early May is sunnier than late; but if you on island the last weekend in May, and plan to tour the Black River/Pelican Bar South Coast area, stop in at the 5th annual Calabash Literary Festival scheduled -- free --
in Treasure Beach. See www.calabashfestival.org for more info.
Old Nov 24th, 2004, 07:20 AM

Saying Jamaica is a dangerous place to visit, based on only Kingston, is about as relative as saying the U.S. is dangerous, based on Camden, N.J. I think people who haven't traveled very much in the world tend to forget how large these island countries can be.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 06:49 AM

I live in NY and am more afraid of the bronx and certain parts of Brooklyn than Jamaica. Its where you go that makes the difference.
Old Dec 1st, 2004, 06:53 AM

ps. Round Hill is a fabulous choice! Georgeous property. You will have a great wedding. If you want to venture out. Bargain with one of the drivers and let them take you on excursions or hop on the tour bus. (check with Guest relations)
Have a super time!
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 10:26 AM
KXR

Has the US Government lift the warning on going to Jamaica? I sugegst you look at:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/warnings_current.html

Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 10:52 AM

There are no U.S. government warnings about travel to Jamaica.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 03:26 PM

There's no Jamaica travel warning on that page, KXR.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 05:34 PM

This whole topic irritates me greatly. While Jamaica is a wonderful island with so much beauty and great people and I've traveled there several times myself. But to hear people say that its safe outside Kingston or better yet they've never had a problem nor heard of a problem is absolute ignorance!
Get your head out of the sand people! Jamaica is full of crime and its not just centered in Kingston....yes thats the worst of it but you as a tourist in tourist areas have to be extra mindful of theft primarily....violent crime is not generally something to worry about in tourist areas unless you resist being robbed or sometimes it can be random, one never knows.
Does one ever wonder why your hotel or villas is so heavily guarded? Come on, wake up and smell the coffee....no where else in the Caribbean is security like that.
Bjork, generally people that haven't travelled very much are the ones who say Jamaica is the greatest place on earth....Yes I think people understand how large some islands but most don't understand that there's TONS of small charming islands, virtually crime free available to them. Most people that rave about Jamaica have not travelled very extensively.
Old Dec 3rd, 2004, 07:47 PM

T863- All due respect, of course....but you are simply wrong. I'll take Negril or Ocho over many Caribbean destinations in regards to safety AND most worldly destinations such as London, Rio, Paris, NY, Moscow, all major cities in the US....etc....you get the point. You are absolutely wrong. Jamaica and its people have a different way of taking care of their problems than you are used to. Tourists are safe islandwide....except for obvious places in Kingston. Get a clue.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 12:25 AM

"Most people that (who) rave about Jamaica haven't traveled very extensively" is a statement worthy of a NEW YORKER cartoon, not respect for its author...
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 02:43 AM

Traveler863,

You made these statements:

"generally people that haven't travelled very much are the ones who say Jamaica is the greatest place on earth....Yes I think people understand how large some islands but most don't understand that there's TONS of small charming islands, virtually crime free available to them. Most people that rave about Jamaica have not travelled very extensively"

I am certain you have NO idea how ignorant that makes you look.

Contrary to your impression that people who enjoy Jamaica are not well-traveled, I have been to 30+ Caribbean islands, all of the United States except for Hawaii, all over Yucatan Mexico, parts of Canada, and Germany.

This is not 1953, and anyone who has a brain and a television knows that there are few places left on earth that you can walk about any time of the night or day and have no concerns about crime.

I am sure there ARE parts of Jamaica that can be dangerous, but as long as one uses the common sense they would anywhere, (most likely their home town) chances are EXTREMELY high that they will have NO problems in Jamaica.

btw, many violent crimes are occurring on small islands these days, so your statement about them being "crime free" is misinformed.

Just recently, there was an armed home invasion and robbery of a villa on St John, there was a robbery at gunpoint on Dominica, and about a year or so ago, a student was shot and murdered on St Kitts - all small islands.

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 06:53 AM

Well said, Diana.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -