Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

honeymoon over military leave in Dec...time?possible?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to thank everyone for all the advice given in other posts. I've spent hours searching, copying and pasting info and suggestions from you all onto one word document, and trying to figure things out for our "hopefully possible" honeymoon (and wedding on that note). Unfortunately, nothing really reflects my situation...(forgive the over-structure of my situation)

When: FOR NOW sometime in December. Nothing is for sure in the military until it actually happens. I hope I have at least 7 days.

Where: Obviously some place in the Caribbean, though if any of you have other experience or suggestions I'm very open.

Situation: Some manner of seclusion. Definitely no kids on Christmas break running around outside my room or lodging for that manner. Activities such as hiking (Lucia and Nevis from what I've read), anything in the water is a plus, white beaches and sunsets score extra points. We're both very active people but not big into the party scene. (We need our room time together but eventually it'll be nice to go outside and get some air.)

Other: There's nothing more that we dislike than haute couture food. We like to eat. I don't need my plate decorated at a 5 star hotel only to return to the room hungry. In other words, the absolute best hotel isn't absolutely necessary.

Price range: This is where it gets questionable. From $3000 to $5000 is ideal.

I hope that's enough information. I'm going to spend some time at the travel agent as well as see what they can recommend. Like I said, unfortunately all this planning and even the wedding date is completely dependent upon what the military is having me do at that time (I'll just be finishing OBC hopefully only to return from my wonderful honeymoon in time for Ranger School)

Would you all suggest just going AI? Is this totally impractical given the timing and would it be better to relax after the wedding in someplace more local (US) and not have to worry about these details?
Thanks again for ANY help you can give me.

Old Mar 14th, 2006, 08:47 PM
Original Poster

I just found a post by kelliebelle and checked out the link: Through interliner I can get a 7 night AI stay at Couples Sans Souci, Ochos Rios, Swept Away, or Negril for 1680 maximum per person. Any thoughts on these locations or the package? How are the crowds during December at these locations?

www.interliner.com
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 05:14 AM

I've never been to Negril so I can't comment on those hotels. But I do suggest that, if it's at all possible, that you schedule your honeymoon for the first half of December when the rates at most hotels will be significantly lower than the high season winter rates. You'll also avoid much of the Christmas break carrying on. I understand, of course, that early December may not be possible given your situation.

Let me offer a suggestions that may satisfy your needs and budget - if you're able to go before the high season rates kick in on December 20. The Nisbet Plantation Resort on Nevis is a beautiful beachside inn with excellent personalized service and superb (but not overly fancy) dining. Their cottages are very nice and well-spaced and will give you the seclusion you desire (you won't hear your neighbors at all). Nevis, as you may know, offers numerous hiking trails, including, if you're adventurous and athletic, climbing Mount Nevis. The Nisbet offers a honeymoon/romance package (http://www.nisbetplantation.com/worx...d/offer9.shtml) that includes a sailing cruise, massages for two, breakfast and dinner each day, including breakfast in bed with champagne your first morning, dinner for two one evening on the beach and a dinner at one of Nevis's other plantation inns another evening.
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 06:14 AM

Have you considered the Mayan Riviera coast in Mexico? There are several adult-only resorts there (El Dorado and Aventura Spa Palace come to mind) that will definitely fit in the price range and have lots of dining options. Aventura Palace has hot tubs for each of its rooms...very romantic! The whole area has lots of options like snorkel tours, Mayan pyramids to hike, etc.

Check out the package tours available through Apple, Funjet, etc. that will bring the price down even more. I'm assuming with the Army schools you mention that you'll be departing from the Atlanta metro area. DEFINITELY get the travel insurance in case Uncle Sam changes your dates...as he likes to do!
Old Mar 15th, 2006, 07:17 AM

Check out Biras Creek on Virgin Gorda. VG gives you a good combination of hiking plus nice beaches. Its very quiet and romantic. Have a great time wherever you decide to go. Would not recommend VG for less than seven days because you could loose time travelling.