Honeymoon in Barbados?

Old Feb 8th, 2003, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon in Barbados?

We're desperately trying to find a honeymoon spot for 2nd week in Oct. Barbados seems to be the spot in the Caribbean to avoid huricannes! We're in our late 20's and looking for a hotel with nice beaches and pools. We're really into water sports during the day and a fun nightlife in the evening. Any suggestions on where to stay?
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 04:43 AM

You might look at Tamarind Cove on the West Coast - they have some great packages available now. Have your travel agent check out the "Best of Barbados" packages they are offering again. This hotel is in a good locatin.

Another good one to consider is Coral Reef Club (also West Coast).

On the South Coast you might look at Coral Sands Resort and also Bougainvillea Beach.

All of these can be found on the Barbados tourism board website at:
www.barbados.org Look under "hotels" and names & contacts and you will find the complete list and you can click on the blue links and check out the various sites.

All of these hotels have nice beaches and pools.

If you pick out a West Coast location you will be closer to all of the fabulous restaurants on the West Coast without having to drive there from the South Coast (about a 25 min. drive).

Good luck, Lois
Old Feb 10th, 2003, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Lois - I was hoping you'd reply as you seem to be the expert on Barbados. What is the weather like in Oct? We're nervous to go to the Caribbean during huricanne season but don't want to go to Mexico! How about nightlife on the West Coast and is the island pretty baron in the fall? How about scuba diving - fiance is a big fan and was wondering about the reefs? Any other thoughts that would help us? Travel agent recommended Almond Beach resort (good price) but I have seen terrible reviews!!!
Old Feb 11th, 2003, 12:32 PM

Hi there,
I have not been to Barbados yet....but we are going for our HM in May. We are staying on the west coast at the Fairmont Glitter Bay. We were originally staying at the Fairmont Royal Pavillion but we just found out that they will be closed during our stay for renovations. You may want to check them out for October, especially since the resort will be pretty much brand new. Other resorts that we looked into The House, The Colony Club, The Coral Reef Club and Sandy Lane. Sandy Lane was too much money, even at off season but if money isn't a factor for you....I would check there. It looks amazing. We decided to go w/ the Fairmont because they have a great reputation worldwide. As for things to do, places to go and restaurants to eat at....Lois has been very helpful. Other places to look for info www.Barbados.org and www.funbarbados.com. Hope that I may have helped a little. Happy planning.
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 05:03 AM

To answer some of your questions:
We usually go in October and have had great weather. There's always a possibility of a shower, but we've been fortunate never having a long stretch of rain.

Some good hotels to consider: Treasure Beach, Tamarind Cove, Royal Pavillion and Coral Reef Club. Coral Reef might be perfect for you. It's located next to Folkestone Underwater park with scuba there. In fact, the boats take divers to a reef just offshore for their snorkel/scuba experiences, and you'd be right there. Also, this hotel has been newly redone. I too have heard bad reviews of Almond Beach Club (sometimes travel agents recommend as they get a commission on a larger package as you have food included).

The fabulous restaurants are all located on West Coast, so you'd have a wonderful opportunity of being closeby to some fantastic choices like The Tides, Carambola, The Cliff, Daphne's, etc.

The island never appears barren to us. If you go earlier in the summer sometimes it looks a little browner due to no rain.

Nightlife is good on West Coast. A fantasic, upscale nightclub that starts happening about 10:30 pm is The Casbah at Baku Beach - you'd probably enjoy that.

You can write me directly if you'd like more details on anything:
[email protected]

Regards, Lois
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 06:38 PM
Original Poster

Ladies - You both have been most helpful. I think the best resource is always people who go to these islands and see first hand what the places look like! Pictures on the internet only do so much! Again - thanks a million! Wish me luck!
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 07:23 PM

I would strongly suggest the Almond Beach Village. It was 1 mile of beach, and all water sports (including motorized) are included. We took advantage of their honeymoon package and were extremely pleased. As for pools they have 10, plus you can visit their other hotel via the free shuttle for an additional 2 pools.