Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Barbados for 25th Anniversary - Where to stay?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2010, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is our 25th Anniv in November and I think I have narrowed it down to Barbados (though I am open to other suggestions).

I like sitting on a beach or by a pool, some sightseeing is OK. He likes snorkelling and golf in addition to a nice beach.

We do not want an all inclusive - but want to be convenient to restaurants and bars. Not bug nightlife people, but don;t want to be back in the room by 10 am either.

I like what I am reading about Bougainvillea Beach Resort but after reading here I am going to check out the West Coast of the island.

I do not want a high rise type hotel, want something more islandy.

Does not need to be family friendly - do not really want a bunch of kids running around, but don;t really want a couples only either.

Comments and Sugestions please.

Thanks
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:13 AM

The class act on the island is Coral Reef Club on the west coast where the ocean is calm enough to snorkel. Everything you like is nearby. The resort is family-owned for 50+ years, and the care shows. Low-rise plantation style on gorgeous grounds set back from the busy west coast road. Huge covered balconies or patios. Pricey but worth it. Their fees include all taxes. See www.coralreefbarbados.com
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 11:15 AM

ps Barbados is a wonderfully varied island with lovely people, and a wide range of restaurants, sightseeing, nitelife.
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 02:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks that is on our radar but a bit pricey. What do you know about Bougainvillea Beach Resort?
Old Jul 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM

Bougainvillea gets good reviews, fairly nice beach. You'd have to drive to the west coast for snorkeling and golf.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 01:24 PM

ps If you are driving or taxiing often to the west coast for golf/snorkeling, you will eat up some of the price differential as well as cost valuable time. There is nothing like being able to snorkel multiple times a day right from your hotel beach (Coral Reef Club is at the edge of an underwater park). If you can afford to come anywhere close to Coral Reef's prices, splurge, go for it--you won't regret it--that's how special the place is compared to almost anything else.
Old Jul 30th, 2010, 11:11 PM

Cobblers Cove is a small charming hotel on the West Coast. Personally I prefer the west coast as this is the Caribbean side and the water is calm.
Old Aug 3rd, 2010, 03:48 AM

Barbados offers everything you are looking for on your vacation for sure. The West Cost does offer wonderful snorkelling and excellent golf. Unfortunately many of the place that would meet your criteria are more expensive than the south coast but most are also well worth the extra dollars for a unforgettable vacation. I would recommend staying at Settler's Beach if it is in your budget or Coral Reef Club, the latter embraces Caribbean island living at its best.

Good luck
Old Aug 4th, 2010, 09:05 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies! So many places sounded great but some where just too expensive or too small.

We decided on Bougainvillea Beach Resort and booked it yesterday.

As it gets closer I am sure I will be asking for help on restaurants and things to do - definitely zipline and catamaran for us.