Reload this Page >

Honeymoon in Aruba or Puerto Rico?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2002, 09:49 AM
Rebecca

We're honeymooning July 1 and we're considering switching to the Hyatt or Radisson in Aruba, or the Hyatt Dorado in Puerto Rico. We are currently booked at Four Seasons Nevis but we're having trouble adding an extra night and they're being unaccomodating (who knew the Four Seasons would be difficult?)<BR><BR>Specific questions: <BR>ARUBA<BR>*Is the Hyatt Club Level room better than the Radisson's? Or vice-versa?<BR>*Is it too windy to play golf?<BR>*Is either hotel better located?<BR><BR>PUERTO RICO<BR>*Hyatt Dorado doesn't have Club Level room - any idea what the Casita room is? <BR>*Any reason why Aruba would be better than PR?<BR><BR>The current posts on all of these destinations have been helpful, but I'm wondering if anyone has any other info?<BR>Thanks!

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:29 AM
Marla

Why not try Nisbet Plantation Beach Club in Nevis--its gorgeous and very romantic. Info on Fodors online or Where2Stay.com.

Old May 5th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Maureen

Also look into the upscale resort of The Golden Lemon--villas with your own private pool. St. Kitts also has a golf course. Why not split your time between St. Kitts and Nevis--Golden Lemon and Four Seasons??

Old May 5th, 2002, 03:49 PM
jms

Hi Rebecca,<BR>I'm a fan of Aruba so I'll put my 2 cents in. The beaches there can't be compared to any other island (except maybe Grand Cayman but it's more expensive there). The Radisson has just been remodeled so it now is on a par with the Hyatt. You won't be disappointed at either one. FYI what is now the Radisson was once the very first high rise hotel in Aruba (the Aruba Caribbean) - the open air lobby has been kept pretty much intact. The pool areas of both of these resorts are wonderful with similar landscaping. I've been to the Hyatt Dorado and to my mind it is too far away from anything else on the island (except the other Hyatt). It is an expensive trip into town. Aruba is only 15 miles long, all of the high rise hotels are on a continuous strand of gorgeous beach whereas the Hyatt Puerto Rico resorts gave me the feeling that I was captive. It is not too windy to golf in Aruba, but it is a challenge and you must get a very early tee time as it gets blazing hot out there. My husband is an avid golfer and in the 20 or so years that we've been going to Aruba he has only golfed maybe 2 or 3 times (the golf course isn't open that many years). If you want preferred tee times then youo need to stay at the Hyatt as they operate the course and great restaurant at the clubhouse (Vistas Al Mar). Their own restaurant (Ruinas del Mar) is great as well. Enjoy!

Old May 6th, 2002, 05:01 AM
cdt

Aruba has less chance of hurricane problems in early July. Radisson and Hyatt are both very nice and almost next door to each other. Better beach and water in Aruba than PR.<BR><BR>

Old May 6th, 2002, 08:18 AM
eileen

Been to both places, Aruba Hyatt is more "high-rise" feel, Hyatt Dorado is great because the beachfront rooms are right on the beach and the property has a lovely, sprawling feel because all the beachfront rooms are spread out along the shore in small building, 4 rooms to a building. If you get a beachfront lower, your patio is basically right on the beach, the upper has a better view. The beach is a "cove" style beach and very private and not crowded. For Aruba -- The Hyatt Aruba's pool area is the nicest I have ever seen. It is located on a more crowded beach but if you like to take long walks on the beach you will like to Aruba location better than Dorado. I don't either of them are on par with the Four Seasons, probably a notch below but also less expensive as well.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:17 AM
KT

I have been to both islands. I prefer PR (I have been back there several times). Although I enjoyed Aruba, I prefer a "greener" island. Aruba is a desert. If you are looking for the quality of the Four Seasons and you choose Aruba, I would pick the Hyatt. This was the best hotel on the island. You may have to fight for space by the pool though. Everyone talks about the wind there, but we did not have much. My fiance played golf 3x in one week. <BR>PR has an array of good hotels. The Horned Dorset has been getting rave reviews from magazines lately. You also have more options for activities in PR. Better shopping and site seeing.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:29 AM
Kristin

I live in PR and love it here! Aruba was one of the ports on our January cruise, so I've been there only for a day. <BR><BR>You asked why Aruba would be better than PR--I'd have to say it's the weather. PR's weather can be more unpredictable, while Aruba's desert-like climate virtually guarantees no rain during your honeymoon. <BR><BR>In Aruba, to me it seemed like all beaches and gambling and not much more. PR has a lot more to offer--a rain forest, a dry forest (who knew?), underground caves, a beautiful old city and much more. Also, after diving off Aruba, I think the diving in PR is definitely better.<BR><BR>I guess the answer ultimately depends on what you are looking for. So far, my favorite Caribbean island has been St. John, USVI. I entered a real email address, so feel free to email me if you have any questions.

Old May 6th, 2002, 09:32 AM
Danelle

Just a variation from the other post, better combination would be Ottley's Plantation Inn, St. Kitts (private pool/jacuzzi with cottage) and The Four Seasons Nevis. Ottley's is highly rated from several travel critics.

Old May 6th, 2002, 10:48 AM
Karen

I spent 9 days in Aruba and although its not the most lush island, the beaches are fantastic. If you love being in the water, snorkeling etc...Aruba is your place. Make sure you venture to other beaches other than Palm. Palm is great but since you'll be on your honeymoon there are lots of more secluded beaches if you know what I mean. We rented a car and went exploring, found some neat spots where we were all alone. Spent some time at the Hyatt and it was amazing. Best Margaritas I ever had. Good luck!!

Old May 6th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Nancy

I would check the average climate for that month, P.R. can be very steamy and Aruba is also very hot but has strong winds. Don't know about the weather in Nevis, but certainly Nevis and St. Kitts would be very plush and different. Have you given a thought to the children occupany at the resorts in P.R./Aruba in the summer if that is a concern during your honeymoon? Good luck.

Old May 10th, 2002, 12:45 PM
Rebecca

Thanks everyone - very helpful info! We decided to keep the first week at the Four Seasons in Nevis and booked the second half of the trip at the Dorado, since our flights will go through PR anyway. FYI, they're having a special at the Dorado and we ended up getting one additional night free and a free round of golf - check it out!Thanks for all of your helpful input!

Old May 10th, 2002, 01:01 PM
traveler

Good decision. You will love Dorado and be sure to dine at Su Casa. Also breakfast at the GolfClub House is much nicer than the main buffet where everyone is fighting over the food and grabbing. Four Seasons can't say enough good about and it is top of the line! Happy honeymoon!

Old Mar 6th, 2003, 05:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you book a casita at PR? Definitely the way to go at the dorado. Like having your own private beach right outside your door. You'll love it.