Aruba Hyatt Regency, or St. Thomas Ritz Carlton - for single

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I recently posted looking for the best beach and resort on St. Thomas, for a single getaway
however, now I am thinking maybe Aruba, because I plan to take this trip in just a few weeks - end of September - and being that Aruba doesnt have hurricanes... it is sounding like a good option....

My main focus is a nice resort, one I dont have to leave if I dont want to (possible outing for shopping in town) - and most important is an amazing beach with soft sand, clear water (and no rocks - just soft,...)

I really want Caneel Bay in St. John, but it is closed Sept and Oct.... and I dont want to wait - bummer (guess I'll just have to plan to go in the spring
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM
KVR

Having been to both, I would definatley pick Aruba over St. Thomas for a single women getaway. To me, Aruba is safer, easier to get around and has more/better dining options. Eagle Beach is the nicest beach on Aruba, but Palm Beach has better hotel selections and literally a strip of restuarants, shopping and entertainment right across the street. The Radisson gets really good reviews, but there is also a Hyatt, Marriott and a Westin.

On Eagle Beach check out Amsterdam Manor, Divi, Bucuti and the Tara Suites. There are a few restuarants within walking distance, but the bus stop is very safe, cheap and convenient.
Old Sep 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If as a single you would like an all inclusive resort, in Aruba look into the Riu and the Occidental.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 10:42 AM

For a single person the Hyatt Aruba wins handsdown. If you stay at the Ritz Carlton on St. Thomas you will away from EVERYTHING. The only thing there is a few restaurants in the hotel and the beach and pool. If you stay at the Hyatt Aruba you will right on the strip where all the other hotels, bars, shopping, sidewalks, beach walks are to name a few things. From the Hyatt Aruba you can walk all over - there is a shopping mall right across the street. Many restaurants and bars and more shopping along the sidewalk. You won't have to leave the Hyatt if you don't want to and the beach is powder white soft sand.
Old Sep 8th, 2009, 04:58 PM

I'd pick Radisson over the Hyatt in Aruba b/c The Rad has nice balconies whereas The Hyatt only has "Juliet Balconies" so you cannot sit out there w/ your morning coffee & your wine in the evening.
The Aruba Riu is a big hit w/ friends of ours but I have never stayed there. Don't know if they have balconies.
I find the Aruba Marriott too big & sprawling w/ the Hotel & the 2 neighbouring Marriott timeshares to the south of the Hotel all competing for the same beach space.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 05:09 AM

Definitely Aruba - safer for a single. Also, you will not be disappointed in the Hyatt, which is more upscale than the Radisson.
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 05:33 PM

Generally speaking, I wld agree w/ you Gabriele, that the Hyatt "is more upscale than the Radisson" but I do not believe that holds true for The Radisson & The Hyatt in Aruba. They are equal. And The Radisson has balconies which is always the deal breaker for me!
Old Sep 9th, 2009, 05:40 PM

I see from your other current post..."Hyatt, football, beach chairs"... that you have already chosen Hyatt so my post above is redundant.
Have a great time!
Old Sep 11th, 2009, 05:40 AM

OceanBreeze - We stayed on the concierge level of the Aruba Radisson and although that room and the hotel are quite nice, we definitely found the Aruba Hyatt to be more upscale overall (except as to the restaurant, which was disappointing at the Hyatt). When we decided to extend our stay by 5 nights we had the opportunity to view a number of other rooms in other buildings at the Radisson that were not nearly as nice. Having said that, we were delighted with our stay at the Radisson.
Old Sep 12th, 2009, 11:00 AM

gabriele, Thanks for your post. When were you there? If recently, then The Rad has slipped. And, I will keep that in mind.
Did you get a chance to go to Riu? I hear it is quite nice.