Search

Honeymoon Destination?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon Destination?

My fiance and I are looking for a place to go on our honeymoon. We've been to the Caribbean a few times (we live in Miami, so it's an easy trip).
We're both in our mid-20s. We want active days, but night life is not a requirement. The wedding is at the end of September, so we'd be traveling early October. We're open to pretty much anything, but we've been to Costa Rica & St. Lucia and loved them both.
Where would you recommend we go?
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 10:06 AM

Since you live in Miami I'm sure you realize that Early October is peak hurricane season in the Caribbean (as it is in Florida) and you are comfortable with that fact.

There are literally scores of islands and hundreds of wonderful resorts so it's difficult to make specific recommendations without knowing more about your particular likes and dislikes, what you want from a caribbean Honeymoon besides the obvious of quality time with your new spouse. It would help if you told told us what you liked about St. Lucia and Costa rica, whether you want a similar destination or would prefer something entirely different, how much of a budget you have for accomodations, food and transportation, whether you want to get to your destination in as short a time possible or if you don't mind taking a combinition of two or more flights and/or ferries. The more information you can provide the easier it will be to steer you toward the perfect destination for you.
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

I guess I wasn't very specific =p

Yes, hurricane season is OK with us. We're just as likely to get hit by a storm at home, so we might as well go somewhere fun!

We are pretty active people and we like natural beauty.

In CR, we stayed in a hotel across from the volcano, we went swimming in this incredible waterfall, hiked through the National Park, we visited the hot springs, went zip-lining (sp?) and then caught a bus to the coast and spent a few days doing nothing but laying on the beach and swimming in the Pacific.

I never really thought of myself as a nature lover, but after that little rant, I guess I am. lol.

We want a place where there's more to do than just lie on the beach (like T & C). I was thinking of the Exumas, but I'm afraid we won't have much to do.

Does that help?
Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:45 PM

What about Dominica or Tobago?
Dominica is very mountainous, lots of rivers and waterfalls, GREAT hiking and is generally a very outdoorsy place. Not too big in the beach department, but they do have some and also excellent scuba diving. The entire island is Green Globe Certified!
Tobago has one of the oldest national parks in the western hemisphere, and is big on nature, but they also have nice beaches. It's also a quieter island than some of the others.
Flying from Miami to Dominica you would need to go via Antigua. I believe there are flights to Tobago, but if not, definitely to her sister island of Trinidad.
You can find some more info about both here:

www.destinationcaribbean.net

Old Apr 22nd, 2008, 12:52 PM

I agree, Exuma is probably going to be to quiet (much like the T&C's).

Since you like "natural beauty" check out islands like Grenada and St. Vincent.

For a good combinition of natural beauty, picturesque beaches, an abundance of dive and snorkel sites check out St. John (USVI's) or Virgin Gorda and Tortola (BVI's). If you like darker sand beaches, old ruins to explore and lush rainforests and volcanos to hike consider St. Kitts or Nevis. The beauty of visiting these two islands is you can easily take a day trip from one to the other or split your time between both islands.

Keep in mind that all of the islands I mentioned are relatively small and easy to get around. You can hike the lush mountains/rainforests in the morning and lay on the beach in the afternoon without spending more than 15 to 20 minutes driving between the two locations while still have time for a liesurely luch break.
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 11:48 AM
Original Poster

Since we're only looking at staying 5 days, I think we're going to try to go to the Exumas and stay at Staniel Cay Yacht Club (or if I can find a millionaire to adopt me, Fowl Cay).
=)

If we can't make those work, I really like Dominica too.

Thanks for your help guys!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 04:38 AM

I recommend any one of the cayman islands!
An easy trip from Miami, Grand Cayman offers a lot daily, and the clear waters can't be beat!
Quiet days on the 2 Sister islands, but REALLY great...friendly, relaxing "Island experience, with unlimited snorkling and R/R"
Enjoy....
Old Apr 26th, 2008, 07:48 AM

Easy! Come to the Virgin Islands. Get on a private crewed yacht (boat) for a week or so, find all the white sand beaches you can stand, have a totally private picnic on one, just the two of you, and make memories forever! It is truly the way to go, on a floating villa/resort, all inclusive. Try it. So many others have.