Two Island Honeymoon! but where???

Old Jul 18th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Two Island Honeymoon! but where???

Hello all,
I have read a lot of posts/forums here and I still cannot seem to figure where would be the best two islands to go to for our honeymoon? The details are as follows; She is 28, I am 31, we are going in mid Sept, looking for two islands, 5 days each fo 10 total. Our budget is aprox 6,500.00 USD. We are looking for
-White sandy beaches, her number 1 request, with warm, clear water
-fairly secluded, romantic, not a major hotel, prefferably a bungalo type set up. At least for one of the islands.
-Outdoor activities, waterfalls, diving, hiking, excursions etc. We're not in need of a big night life, but it wouldn't hurt to have the option. (again, possibly on one of the islands)
-beach front, or beach near accomidations, no mountain dwelling.
-Good food, but I know that is highly variable.
-Don't need AI, but notopposed to it (again, possibly for one island)

I am currently looking at St Lucia at Anse Chastanet and somewhere in Barbados, but I'm very open to all of your thoughts and insights.

Thank you in advance for your time and help!
Old Jul 18th, 2010, 11:13 PM

Anse Chastanet is beautiful but the beach is not white sand but beige sand. I would not let that put you off though as it is a fabulous location and perfect for a honeymoon. The beige sand beach is really beautiful, the water is clear and the snorkeling good.

Grenada is also a good option as it has all the above requirements (could combine with the Grenadines perhaps?), Barbados also except don't think there are waterfalls and the diving is nothing special (same with Antigua).

I have done couple of 2 island holidays: St Martin & Anguilla, St Lucia & Grenada, Martinique & Guadeloupe, ABC islands.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 03:34 AM

This is just general info, but

Overall in the Caribbean there are 2 types of islands

Flat, scrubby dry-these have the long stretches of beach, bright white sand and neon turquoise water.

Hilly, scenic beaches in coves, sand usually darker than beige (I consider the sand in St. Lucia to be brown when compared to white sand beaches, please no offense to Odin, just my perspective) which have the hiking, etc.

The best food can be found in Anguilla, St. Martin and St. Barth, but no decent diving at these.

Caribbean is set up so that if you truly want to combine 2 islands (especially for 5 days each) you're subjected to certain "groupings". Everything outside those groupings require overnights somewhere else or backtrack thru Miami or Puerto Rico (main hubs)

1 excellent grouping is Anguilla/St. Martin/St. Barth--you get everything but the waterfalls and diving. They are expensive islands, you might want to stay at St. Martin for budget, and day trip to the other 2.

Another grouping is Puerto Rico with Culebra and Viesques. Diving is okay, but you'll get everything else, although the sand is not as white as other islands (not quite corona commercials) Hardest to find bungalows in Puerto Rico, more luck in Culebra and Viesques, but "rustic."

Virgin Islands are an easy island hopping group, they have everything except waterfalls--food is good not great, but restaurants are quirky beach shacks with atmosphere. A combination of Virgin Gorda with either St. John or Jost Van Dyke might work-there are ferries in between these islands. Not a huge amount of nightlife, but there are some beach bars.

You can hop around the Grenadines, they have white sandy beaches, and you could combine with either Barbados, Grenada or St. Lucia, but be warned, the inter island flights are an adventure! I find this grouping to work better once you've gotten to know the Caribbean a little bit better. Really no nightlife in Grenadines other than long dinners with sailors.

Mexico has everything you want, but hard to combine with other islands, although with some work you could add Caymans (I can't remember where Cancun flies too)

You can combine Antigua with Barbuda, but Barbuda will eat up most of your budget. Food in my opinion is just okay, and diving is just okay.

There are always posts of "I want a little bit of everything on 1-2 islands for a short amount of time" and really doesn't happen in the Caribbean realistically. Start with the groupings I've named above, see what you're willing to compromise on, then we can help narrow it down for you.
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 06:41 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both for the replies. As soon as I can, i will look into all the options you have presented. I am off of work today, only to do more wedding errands with th Lady. Thanks again, I'll check back in a bit, keep all the good info coming. Also, I should add, The diving requirement is more of a snorkling, she doesn't dive, and I'm easy to please on that front. Coming from Northern California diving, ANYTHING is going to be clear and warm, in comparison!
Old Jul 19th, 2010, 07:27 AM

Definitely check out Barbados. You can read my tips on this island at: www.barbadostips.com It may help with your decision.

LKois
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 08:49 AM
Original Poster

LKois,
Great site, thank you. "Little Arces looks great and seems to be in a great location. You stayed there? Is there much to do in and around? I know its on your list, but if you had to choose a spot to stay for 4-5 nights, with access, beaches and romance as your interests, is Little Arces it?
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 09:06 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Anguilla--- St. Bart's (many high-end choices, perfect beaches, and fabulous food)
OR
St. John---Virgin Gorda www.caneelbay.com and www.littledixbay.com (both Rosewood properties with a very easy boat ride between the two, again perfect beaches, great snorkeling, and good restaurants)
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 10:01 AM

Some islands have ferry/catamaran service between them which might be an option rather than taking flights. Eg Express des Iles between Guadeloupe/Martinique/St Lucia/Dominica and there is a ferry service between St Martin and Anguilla. If you check out the Liat (hub is Antigua & Barbados) & Winair website, you can get an idea of what can be grouped together.
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 03:48 PM

I think you should look at Barbados and the Grenadines.

Barbados is the perfect place for a honeymoon escape. If you are a culinary enthusiast, you will love the outstanding restaurants, and many offer dining overlooking the sea. They have a pulsating nightlife, luscious beaches, and underground waterfalls

Our favorite in the Grenadines is Palm island. Shopping options don't really exist, but the secluded cottage would be perfect for you. Along with the bicycles and superb beaches with the soft white sand and the most perfect azure blue water I've ever seen in my life - with the exception of Bora Bora.You will feel so far away from the real world!
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Original Poster

Knowing,
I looked up Palm Island in the Grenadines and it looks amazing! An Island Loft looks to be the way to go? Any thoughts?

What do you recommend for Barbados? As well as which one first?

Thank you for your time and effort.
-K
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 09:18 AM

Take a look at Peter Island or Guana island (first part of your trip) in BVI and Virgin Gorda as the second island. I think the BVI are a great combination of good beaches and some hiking/scenic views etc. Perfect for a honeymoon. The restaurants on VG are just average.
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 10:53 AM

We have combined:
1. St. Thomas and St. John.
2. Curaco and Bonaire
3. Turks & Caicos (Provo) and Paradise Island
4. Puerto Rico and St. Thomas