Honeymoon - DR? - best all inclusive

Old Apr 12th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Honeymoon - DR? - best all inclusive

Hello - we are looking to take our honeymoon starting August 9th. We would like to spend under $2000 in total. We are leaving from Boston and would love your suggestions. We have heard that the DR or PR is least expensive but are willing to go anywhere that would make for a nice relaxing honeymoon.

Thank you!
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 09:53 AM

You're correct that the DR is cheaper than Puerto Rico, but don't expect much for your money. I think you'll be able to get a 4- or 4-night stay at one of the cheap all-inclusives in the DR, Cancun, Cozumel, or Antigua for that amount of money. It will not be a top-of-the-line vacation in any case because you are spending the absolute minimum to get a decent place to stay (one little known fact is that August is busy in the DR because of European vacationers).

Look at packages from your region (check local travel agents) and compare with Expedia, Ortiz, and Travelocity. I am going to Jamaica next month for a 4-night trip, so I think you'll be able to squeeze in another night for your budget (you might also consider Jamaica, which is sometimes priced a little better than the DR).

Do not expect luxury because you simply are not going to get it for that price, even in the DR. In the DR, consider the Majestic Excellence or perhaps Excellence Punta Cana. It's cheaper if you go to the north shore (near Puerto Plata), but the beaches aren't quite as nice. But it all boils down to the cost of airfare. Hotels in the DR are big and busy and not very special (nor is the food at most of the resorts), but the beaches are wonderful, and if you just chill out and go with the flow, you'll be able to have a nice, relaxing trip.

If you are not big drinkers, you could do better at a non-AI resort like Puntacana Resort, which was recently renovated and where a regular room goes for $96 per night (including only breakfast). Packages can knock a little off even that rate. But you'd have to budget another $100 per day for food and drinks.

I cannot stress enough: You are going during the height of hurricane season. So buy insurance. Good insurance (and not from your travel agent).
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 11:27 AM

Hi, Bostonbride--congratulations on your upcoming wedding ! Being from Boston, you are no doubt familiar with TNT--we have taken vacations with them in the past and felt we got a good deal. You can find them at tntvacations.com.

Just as an example, they currently list August packages for more than 15 Punta Cana hotels that come in under $2K per couple (7 nights), including air. TNT is a reputable outfit and you should have no qualms dealing with them. I believe they also offer some charter flights (though this might be only in winter), and you have all the expected DR destinations to choose from.

Once you have a list of available hotels in your price range, I recommend checking reviews on debbiesdominicantravel.com to help make your decision. Trip Advisor also gets a lot of traffic on its DR hotel reviews pages. Both those sites have forums for additional questions or concerns you might have. (I offer those other 2 sites because the DR seems to generate relatively little interest on Fodor's.)

All of Doug's comments are note-worthy, especially about trip insurance.

Best of luck with your planning, and have a wonderful honeymoon !
Old Apr 12th, 2010, 02:36 PM
KVR

I personally think the Riviera Maya of Mexico will give you more for your moeny. I have done many trips for that budget, but did not stay in any of the fancy AI hotels. You might get away with it at that budget for a 4 or 5 night stay though.

Look at the Royal Playa del Carmen. It's a very nice adult only AI within a 5 minute walk to 5th Avenue where you'll find tons of resturants, bars, shopping and entertainment.

Other note worthy hotels include any of the Secrets, Palace, El Dorado or Iberostars, Valentin Imperial, and Zoetry.

Modified EP hotels that include breakfast and maybe dinner are popular in Playa Del Carmen also. They are within walking distance to the beach and dining.

http://www.locogringo.com/dynamic/lo...cfm?area=Playa del Carmen&type=Hotel/Resort

We chose the Mahekal Beach Resort for our next trip in December. Get an ocean front cottage and just open your door and you are on the beach. Can't get any closer with an AI hotel in that area.

http://www.mahekalplaya.com/
Old Jul 20th, 2010, 12:56 PM

Hi BostonBride,
Congrats! If you are looking for an inexpensive, but a little more authentic Dominican experience, check out www.antitourdr.com

They have 4-10 days personalized trips to the DR so you can pick and choose what you want to do and where you want to go. This is different from your average all-inclusive package, which offers the same for everyone, regardless of your interests or preferences. The site also has great photos so that you can get an idea of what the D.R. has to offer.

Good luck!
Old Jul 21st, 2010, 11:01 AM

Take a look at www.applevacations.com. They are running nonstop flights out of Boston to Cancun and some are for $799 per person (flight, hotel and transfer at all-inclusives). Once you arrive in Cancun you can either stay in Cancun or travel south by van (they will arrange transportation) and stay on the Riviera Maya where you can find about 25 hotels to choose from.